Beta testing phase

Author: DebateArt.com

Total: 69
DebateArt.com
Debates: 0
DebateArt.com
The website is currently in the beta testing phase, which implies the possible presence of some errors in the functionality, which were not identified during the initial testing.

If you find any of such errors, please, let us know and we will try to fix everything as quickly as possible.

Thank you for your understanding.

Jhhillman
Debates: 1
Jhhillman
-->
@DebateArt.com
Two things: Add a thing to let you select your position on the topic, liek on Debate.org. Also, please add some kind of Captcha-style validation to prevent spambots. Thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing how this site develops.

DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Jhhillman
Hello!

Thank you very much for your comment!

Initially we had a way to choose the position just like on DDO but then somebody pointed out that it would make sense to just make it default that the instigator is always the proponent. It's just a matter of changing the topic formulation. For example, if the initial topic is `Toyota is better than Nissan` and you want to take the opposite position, you may just change the topic to `Nissan is better than Toyota` and be the proponent, hopefully that makes sense :) I think I will add a field to the debate preview saying that the instigator's position is always PRO, that may help with the possible confusion. 

Regarding the captcha, yeah, it's a good idea, as the experience with DDO proves. I will definitely implement it at some point.

No, thank YOU for the participation. Hopefully you'll have a good time here :)
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Jhhillman
I've added another field to the debate preview as I mentioned before. Hopefully it will make it less confusing.
Smithereens
Debates: 2
Smithereens
how do we want to go about building the community? how did DDO rise to power? I feel like we need to get Airmax in here to help get thing rolling. 
Buddamoose
Debates: 4
Buddamoose
My main concern would be that this will get flooded with spam again as there wasnt protection against that when creating the account, and doesn't look to be when posting? 

Thats definitely something to be added or this site will get killed before it even starts once the spambots get on this sites scent xD

RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
Airmax has a legal contract (he isn't paid but he signed something legal, arranged something official with lawyers) that binds him to Juggle in loyalty of some sort. He cannot EVER reveal the 'how' to what you are asking. I know this for a fact.
coal
Debates: 6
coal
-->
@Smithereens
DDO rose to power gradually, over many years, from Phil and beyond. 

DebateArt may well steal all of that, though, given that Debate.org seems to have been targeted by spam bots.  That said, it's Juggle's fault.  Their incompetence failed to prevent this predictable result. 
Earth
Debates: 4
Earth
Any good website needs to have a good user base. If DebateArt gets that, its clear sailing provided the owner makes updates and implements spam protection.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Earth
Yeah, agreed. Regarding the spam protection, I believe there is already some against automatic spam and DOS attacks but I don't know how and if it works but hopefully we will not get a chance to test. But if push comes to shove, there's always captchas ...
RationalMadman
RationalMadman

Something very strange has happened in this thread, you can't properly use the customising on Chrome or at least I can't and it may be a Cookie issue if it's unique to me.

This is not due to me creating a hyperlink that is custom because I did that here and nothing has happened in my ability to customise quotes and links:

Yet in the first link I can't make a custom hyperlink and the 'quote' function totally doesn't work.

What can be done in the thread first posted is to click the button of hyperlink and while nothing shows you can paste a URL and it turns into a linked one (which doesn't normally happen if you paste a URL on its own)
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
Even stranger, it works now that I posted that.
Vaarka
Vaarka
-->
@Smithereens
I think the best solution is to say "guys we're all here, join this".

I say this because everyone always talks about a "place to exodus" on DDO, but I've never really looked into it because people just say "well what about this site?" and then some people join but it's different so they don't ever log back in.

For some reason, this attracted me b/c you said "we're all using this now", and it's very similar to DDO. I feel that people who actually want to keep using the site would be willing to give this a go. 
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@RationalMadman
I didn't exactly understand what went wrong but if you found some issue and can reproduce it, it would be highly appreciated and easier to fix.
David
Debates: 91
David
-->
@DebateArt.com
Hey just a suggestion: Is there a way to add our opinions on "big issues" like there is on debate.org?
Vaarka
Vaarka
Does the website accurately count post counts? I've created two topics and posted (including topic posts) 9 or 10 times. Website says I've only posted 5 times
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Vaarka
The Count is delayed by maximum 15 mins.
Vaarka
Vaarka
-->
@RationalMadman
I see
bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
-->
@DebateArt.com
Can we friend people?
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@David
Hey just a suggestion: Is there a way to add our opinions on "big issues" like there is on debate.org?
If people want it, we may implement it at some point, shouldn't be too hard, just a matter of coming up with decently design.

DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Vaarka
Does the website accurately count post counts? I've created two topics and posted (including topic posts) 9 or 10 times. Website says I've only posted 5 times
Yeah, as RationalMadman pointed out, there is a minor delay of 5 to 10 mins, hopefully that's not a big inconvenience :)

DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@bsh1
Can we friend people?
Nope, not yet but it's super easy to implement and it will be there I'd say rather soon.

The-Voice-of-Truth
The-Voice-of-Truth
-->
@DebateArt.com
Definitely should let users add "friends". Also, perhaps a private message function as well.

DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@The-Voice-of-Truth
Definitely should let users add "friends". Also, perhaps a private message function as well.
Private messaging is already there :)

The-Voice-of-Truth
The-Voice-of-Truth
-->
@DebateArt.com
ah I see it now. I'm on mobile and the icon is really small so I missed it lol
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@The-Voice-of-Truth
ah I see it now. I'm on mobile and the icon is really small so I missed it lol
Yeah, the mobile is a pain in the butt. I am already trying to find somebody who'd be interested in developing the mobile version but I imagine it's gonna take some time to both find a person and actually implement it :(

The-Voice-of-Truth
The-Voice-of-Truth
-->
@DebateArt.com
I take it you'd commission the person to develop mobile? I may know a guy who'd be interested. 
Vaarka
Vaarka
Might I suggest a page-jump be added to the top of a page? Currently I can only go to page 2 (and beyond) by scrolling to the bottom
David
Debates: 91
David
-->
@DebateArt.com
i have some development/administrative experience if you want me to help with the site, I’d be glad to do so! 

DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
I take it you'd commission the person to develop mobile? I may know a guy who'd be interested. 

Well, I have no income from this site and don't really plan to have it in the future ( maybe some voluntary donations but that's it and it could probably cover only hosting expenses and my coffee in the morning ) so paying for the developers is just not an option, especially considering how expensive they are these days. I have a couple of friends that are starting their career in this field and I could ask them to help me to gain some real world experience and maybe add an item to their portfolio but I am not sure how it's gonna go. So nothing specific at this point.

Might I suggest a page-jump be added to the top of a page? Currently I can only go to page 2 (and beyond) by scrolling to the bottom
It's already there, it says "Show recent". Or you mean something else?

i have some development/administrative experience if you want me to help with the site, I’d be glad to do so! 
That may come in handy in time indeed :)