Why Thick Skinned Moderation Is Good

Author: Vader

Total: 30
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
Thick skinned moderation where only real shit gets banned or countless offenses get banned is the best thing we can for a site like DART. We need activity and we need some controversy now and then to boost activity. Once the activity is boosted, this can be a hub of all of your debate and forum needs. All we need is some activity and some things to keep going.

Thick Skinned Moderation keeps the site functioning. Letting drama happen and only taking action is what we need to survive. If every little hurt feeling gets banned, a decrease in activity would happen and this site would go down the toilet with no active members. Having lieniant thick skinned mods is KEY for success on the website.

So what can you do to improve yourself and grow thick skin

A) Dive deep. Someone calling you a cunt does not mean anything. They are, in all honesty, inmature
B) It's just the internet. People can say whatever they want and do what they want here. What they say on the internet is stupid, because they can't tell it to you in your face
C) BLOCK THEM. It is not that hard to do. RM could do it to me, you can do it to anyone so they don't mention you
D) Turn off the computer
E) They can't do anything to you over the computer except hack you, and you can call 911 on them or get a mod to ban them

There. Now you have thick skin.

Mharman
Debates: 18
Mharman
-->
@Vader
Think-skinned moderation, otherwise known as laizess-faire moderation.

RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@Mharman
Laissez-faire unless it's RM, ethang5 or Wylted dishing it out.

I get the picture and I know what the moderation system is.
spacetime
Debates: 3
spacetime
-->
@RationalMadman
I look forward to your next ban.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@spacetime
If I said that to a user I'd be banned for threatening with mod action.
Mharman
Debates: 18
Mharman
-->
@RationalMadman
If I were the mod, it would be laizess-faire for all.

Raltar
Debates: 4
Raltar
-->
@Vader
We need activity and we need some controversy now and then to boost activity. Once the activity is boosted, this can be a hub of all of your debate and forum needs.
The problem with this theory is that "controversy" (A.K.A. "Internet Drama") attracts a certain class of internet users; Trolls

See, let me help you with a little lesson I learned a long time ago. I used to play a lot of hardcore PvP games, like Shadowbane, EvE Online and so on. When I would play, I noticed that a majority of the players didn't care about the plot of the game, didn't care about forming long-term relationships, didn't care about building effective guilds or really "care" about much of anything. Their only goal in playing the game was to score as many kills as they possibly could (or steal stuff, for the people less effective at killing than they were at lying) then get on the public forums to brag about their "accomplishments" in the game.

I kept asking myself, "Why do these PvP games attract so many assholes?"

The answer is simple; "If you make a game where the main activity is being an asshole, the community will naturally be composed almost exclusively with assholes."

If you build it, they will come.

So what you are suggesting here is that we should all just have "thick skin" and ignore all the bad behavior, insults and trolling that take place on this site. And sure, you CAN do that...

But if you build a website for assholes, your community will be composed almost exclusively of assholes.

So, you do what you want I guess, and I'm sure the mods will do whatever they want... but just be aware that some of us aren't going to stick around here for that.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Raltar
Everything you type has such deep truth to it, it's like you are a fact machine.
Raltar
Debates: 4
Raltar
-->
@RationalMadman
Thanks!
Vader
Vader
-->
@Raltar
This website isn't created for twats and dickbags. But a little bit of it won't hurt. That's why we have the people we have
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
-->
@Vader
The issue I'm seeing with you is you seem to think the only tool moderation has at its disposal is banning people. If that were true there would be merit to what you say. But it isn't true.
Vader
Vader
-->
@drafterman
You have a fair point here. But still, it should be thick skinned with other alternatives
drafterman
drafterman
Everything you said pertains to personal interactions and has nothing to do with moderation. "Thick skinned moderation" is a nonsensical phrase.
Vader
Vader
-->
@drafterman
Moderation that does not instantly ban, or delete, or block, someone or something when offended and lets things happen until it escolates to much
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
@SupaDudz
What or who determines 'too much'?
Vader
Vader
@RM

Who does not specifically pertain to anyone unless they have had repeat instances of over the top CoC offenses

Thick skinned is not to instantly ban, delete, close, a forum until it has escolated to something severly breaking, or distracting the DART members
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
@SupaDudz
What or who determines 'too much', 'severely' etc.?

Vader
Vader
@RM

Too much: the # number of times the person has went after someone unjustified breaking of CoC
 who-person going over

Severly: the range of how an attack happens; doxxing, personal attacks, extreme cases of gore, violence, threats
RationalMadman
RationalMadman

@SupaDudz
What or who determines ' the # number of times' as being 'too much'?

What or who determines 'he range of how an attack happens' as well as the measurement system of the severity?

Vader
Vader
What or who determines ' the # number of times' as being 'too much'?
A trusted authority figure
What or who determines 'he range of how an attack happens' as well as the measurement system of the severity?
A trusted authority figure 
@RM
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
@SupaDudz
Since you are stating, in direct contradiction to this, that the trusted authority figure of this site needs to alter his scaling on both to be much more towards 'thick skin', is it not then true that there is more to it than that?

You are not a trusted authority figure here, I am sure you would agree. You are stating very clearly that the trusted authority figure here is inaccurately judging both 'too much' and 'too severe' are you not?
Vader
Vader

Since you are stating, in direct contradiction to this, that the trusted authority figure of this site needs to alter his scaling on both to be much more towards 'thick skin', is it not then true that there is more to it than that?
I am saying that it is fine as is. I am even proposing more thick skin approach
You are not a trusted authority figure here, I am sure you would agree. You are stating very clearly that the trusted authority figure here is inaccurately judging both 'too much' and 'too severe' are you not?
I can not concur that the trusted authority is innacurately punishing people bc 99% is justified. I do agree I am not a trusted authority figure, but I have point to make here
@RM
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Vader
Moderation that does not instantly ban, or delete, or block, someone or something when offended and lets things happen until it escolates to much
Right, but that's my point. Moderation isn't about what offends them personally, ergo it has nothing to do with how thick their skin is. It's about the defined policy of acceptable use. If a behavior isn't allowed, then it isn't allowed. It has fuck all to do with whether it offends a mod. You keep thinking that this is about personal offense and I don't understand why.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
@SupaDudz
If  you are proposing more thick-skinned approach, there is no possible way it's close to 99% 'good' in your eyes as is. Otherwise are you seriously making this whole thread over 1% error in judgement?
Vader
Vader
@RM

The bans are justified. i am just telling people they need to grow thick skin bc thick skin mdoeration
Vader
Vader
-->
@drafterman
You have a fair point. But some of the things that people wanted reporting are not violating any policy and they are getting mad they don't get their way. i am saying thick skinned moderation in that sense is good, and people should accept it too
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
The bans are justified. i am just telling people they need to grow thick skin bc thick skin moderation
But the bans were for the other users having thin skin unless you mean the multi-accounting ban(s) or something.

Vader
Vader
Those users snapped bc of their thin skin
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
@SupaDudz
Why is their snapping suddenly a time to defy the thick-skin philosophy and ban them for the emotions of those they spoke to?
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Vader
Says a guy who went full on sissy for being called Hitler.