Editing posts in a mafia game

Author: Smithereens

Total: 24
Smithereens
Debates: 2
Smithereens
There's a period of about 5 minutes where the author of a post has the opportunity to edit their post without leaving evidence that an edit occurred. In mafia, this might mean a scum player notices a slip in another scum players post and gets them to redact the slip or the tell.

As far as I'm aware, DA will be the first site where mafia players are capable of editing posts. Should we agree on a shared norm re post editing in mafia and do you think it can be enforced?

David
Debates: 91
David
-->
@Smithereens
Editing posts should never be allowed. If a player is caught editing posts, they should be modkilled immediately.

----
Edit test

Edit test 2
Smithereens
Debates: 2
Smithereens
-->
@David
how would you prove that someone edited a post?
David
David
-->
@DebateArt.com
Perhaps you could find some way to show that a post was edited? Editing posts during a mafia game is a serious breach of game integrity. 
DebateArt.com
Debates: 0
DebateArt.com
-->
@David
Yeah, I think I could add some indicator :)
David
David
-->
@DebateArt.com
Thanks! 

edit test
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@David
Added an indicator :)
David
David
-->
@DebateArt.com
awesome

editing 
David
David
I don’t see he indicator 

this post is is edited by poster 
Buddamoose
Debates: 4
Buddamoose
I see the indicator. Idk, editing is an awesome feature for regular forum posting. But for mafia I think a policy of no editing is best. Maybe not first time, but second or third seems reasonable 🤔
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
There are certain situations, like say accidental c/p where a post edit could be seen as reasonable to do though imho 🤔
Vaarka
Vaarka
-->
@Buddamoose
It'll be helpful only if no one sees it. In a mafia game, odds are at least one other person will see it.

I say make it very clear that editing posts in any way, shape, or form is illegal in-game, and if seen it must be reported. Punishments (such as a modkill) need to be made clear in the rules of the game. Make it front and center. That way, when the inevitable happens and someone claims "I didn't see it anywhere", it's their own fault and not yours.

You'd be surprised how much people can try to blame a mod for stuff, even if it's out of their control. 

Testing the editor to see what it looks like
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
Test.

Edit: Test.
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
The indicator is the pencil icon next to the timestamp.

8 days later

RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
I am the opposite type of mentality, I support editing and want the biggest advantage for all, including being active enough to screenshot the pre-edited post so on and so forth.

Then comes the ability to alter a post and delete the pencil mark to fake an unedited post.

Yes, I am not joking, I know how corrupt and brutal it will become. I am the type of guy who used to want everything to be fair in this world but what life taught me is you're better off making it as unfair as possible and then being the best as it will mean so much more.
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@Vaarka
I can understand ur point after seeing an edit produce the shit storm it has in the beginner series 🤔. Hrmmm, ill contemplate implementing some sort of rule for future games. Like, "refrain from editing, 2 or 3 instances and ur out." Im not the type to generally want to modkill someone for what very well could have been a harmless offense of fixing a typo, or changing a punctuation mistake, or adding to the post as opposed to making a new one 🤔

76 days later

Mharman
Debates: 18
Mharman
-->
@David
I do. It's the little gray pencil by the timestamp.
Mharman
Mharman
-->
@Vaarka
VAARKA

HI :)

Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
I edit to correct bad spelling. I type fast without checking what I write, because I often write in a stream of consciousness. I'll put the wrong words in there, misspell so bad that what I'm writing is barely comprehendible. I like having the ability to edit what I write to make sense.
Mharman
Mharman
-->
@Wylted
I've never had any problems reading anything you have posted. If it bothers you that much, then just proofread before you post.
Wylted
Wylted
-->
@Mharman
That's not how this works. I could proofread it 100 times, and still want to edit it after it's posted
Mharman
Mharman
-->
@Wylted
Even with that in mind, even if you still make mistakes, it's not going to render your post unreadable.

Wylted
Wylted
-->
@Mharman
Even with that in mind, even if you still make mistakes, it's not going to render your post unreadable.
NO, I actually have a hard time getting what I mean accross. My brain does not work like yours or most people's. Even at 5 years old, psychologists commented on that my thought processes are extremely unique. My memory is good enough to remember 2 questions they asked me where they said that the answers were highly unusual though accurate.

The pssychologist showed me a picture of a leaf and asked me what is it?

Most kids answer "A leaf". I shed a tear and whimpered "A broken tree" My empathy has always been inappropriately high which already is enough to alter how I think, but probably isn't the main reason for my odd thought processes.

I was also asked "What do you do when it's cold"?

Most kids answer "Get a Blanket" I answered "Ask mommy to turn the heater on".

Psychologists were extremely interested in my even very young, A lot of people on this site are bright, but at 5 years old I was already recognized as a genius who has extremely odd thought processes.

It is hard for me to get across what I'm thinking, because I think different, I have always thought different and my thinking is so abnormal and ingrained that it is difficult for me to explain myself.

I sometimes assume because there are so many smart people on this site, that when I say something it will be understood how I want it to be understood, but it isn't. Imagine an alien trying to talk to you, an alien with the IQ of Einstein who does not think like a human or have the same experiences to draw from as humans.

That's how I feel when I try to communicate with the outside world. Before I was 21 years old I had barely any access to the internet but furiously studied everything I could get my hands on and developed my own scientific, social and philosophical thinking with it's own terminology and theories only known by me and sometimes when I communicate with others I don't realize they have not had access to the same information as me and have no clue what I'm talking about.

It is extremely common for somebody to think they know what I'm saying, but not understand it in the way I intended them to.
Vaarka
Vaarka
-->
@Mharman
hello :3