Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
Are you celebrating? 
janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
I am contemplating the meaning. are you celebrating? it starts at 223 pm pacific time. 
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@janesix
I do Yule over 12 days. It started at sundown last night, Mother's Night. I do offerings every night to various gods and entities until sundown New Year's day. Tonight will be Mani, moon god since it's the longest night of the year and full moon. I will probably collect some river water too. For later spell work. 
Castin
Debates: 0
Castin
-->
@janesix
The winter solstice used to be a bigger deal than it is today. Ditto for the summer solstice. We seem to be losing that time when we had a bit more of a connection with nature. We don't stop and take time to just feel the pulse of the Earth anymore.
disgusted
disgusted
@witchy
Do you ever have enough self awareness to be embarrassed by that?
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Castin
The winter solstice used to be a bigger deal than it is today. Ditto for the summer solstice. We seem to be losing that time when we had a bit more of a connection with nature. We don't stop and take time to just feel the pulse of the Earth anymore.
We invented central heating and electric light.

Castin
Castin
-->
@keithprosser
Breaking news, keith, thank you.
keithprosser
keithprosser
Breaking news, keith, thank you.
I'm pretty sure they've both been around for while.

It's certainly possible to over-romanticise the past.  I don't think we ever 'stopped to feel the pulse of the earth'.   In the past that pulse would have been felt keenly - we we're connected to the world in a visceral way, not 'connected' in a new-agey, hippy-dippy, part-time way.

How would we 'stop' anyway, other than by switching off the heating and sitting in the freezing dark.   I think a few days of that and people would have had quite enough 'pulse'!

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
Cause the solstice is about heating and cooling you home? Funny for pagans it's about the planting cycle. Idiot.
Castin
Castin
Putting an APB out on an escaped serial pedant, white male, presumably over fifty years of age, no visible tattoos, dresses in brown robe and conical hat, enjoys pointing to where the birdies fly like a big boy. Derives erotic satisfaction from treatise on tiresome details, approach with caution.
Goldtop
Goldtop
I will probably collect some river water too. For later spell work. 
Do you have a spell for flying monkeys?

Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@janesix
Thank you, Jane for bringing this to our attention, the view of the moon was fabulous, crystal clear night sky with none of the usual aberrations to block details. Of course, looking through a telescope at a full moon requires filters, which take away a lot of the extreme glare but also some of the details.

22 days later

eventuality001
eventuality001
I love the winter most of all out of all of the seasons. It is very beautiful.