Debates: 6
drafterman

🤔

drafterman
drafterman
-->
@bsh1
For the record, I wasn't "griping to gripe" I was stating my opinion that I don't think a mod should use their mod-powers to lock their own threads. It clearly wasn't a mod-related thread, it was a thread about your personal relationships. No excuse for locking down a thread without a CoC violation. You just can't dismiss your failures a a mod with "griping to gripe."
bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
Clearly the thread was related to moderation credibility and integrity (not moderation policy). I was refusing to answer questions of moderation policy, not questions about moderator integrity, credibility, etc. The thread was clearly moderation-related.

You really should stop throwing hissy fits over nothing.
drafterman
drafterman
Clearly the thread was related to moderation credibility and integrity (not moderation policy).
No, it was clearly a thread related to your "relationship with Mike, [your] past on DDO, [your] political and other beliefs, and any questions related to [you] as a person."

I was refusing to answer questions of moderation policy, not questions about moderator integrity, credibility, etc.
No, you said no questions about "modding." That pretty much covers all the bases.

The thread was clearly moderation-related.
Maybe it turned out that way, but there is no honest way to depict that as the intention from the onset, give your OP.

You really should stop throwing hissy fits over nothing. 
I know it's in your best interest to normalize mod failure and mod abuse, but I don't see how it's in mine to just sit back and let it happen quietly.

drafterman
drafterman
Can anyone else seriously read the OP of that thread and conclude that it's a "moderation related" thread?
bsh1
bsh1
Drafter, your absurd semantic griping notwithstanding, the thread was always about moderation. You're bullshitting here, and you know it.

The thread was created in response to accusations that Mike and I were dishonest and acting inappropriately, going to my credibility and integrity as a mod. The concerns raised by the thread was serious, if specious, and the AMA was a space were those concerns could be disambiguated and address. Pretty much everyone interpreted and used the thread in that way, making it impossible to believe that you could interpret it any other way.

The thread was always about mod integrity, which similarly made it about "my relationship with Mike, my past on DDO, my political and other beliefs, and any questions related to me as a person," inasmuch as moderation's integrity was called into question over these issues. From the outset, I was clear that the thread was attempting to address the concerns about moderation raised by Ethang. 

drafterman
drafterman
Drafter, your absurd semantic griping notwithstanding, the thread was always about moderation.
No, it was about your personal relationships. You know how I know? BECAUSE YOU SAID SO.

The thread was created in response to accusations that Mike and I were dishonest and acting inappropriately, going to my credibility and integrity as a mod.
No, it's an attack against your credibility and integrity as a person. Or do you not see the difference?

The concerns raised by the thread was serious, if specious, and the AMA was a space were those concerns could be disambiguated and address. Pretty much everyone interpreted and used the thread in that way, making it impossible to believe that you could interpret it any other way.
Really? You polled everyone on this or is telepathy one of your mod powers? Can't be the latter because your stated intuitions about my thoughts and intentions are so fucked.
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@bsh1
If Majority + 1 out of at least 10 people agree with you that it was a moderation related thread, you can delete this thread and ban me.
drafterman
drafterman
Perma ban
bsh1
bsh1
No, it's an attack against your credibility and integrity as a person. Or do you not see the difference?
There is relatively little difference. Calling me a liar, for example attacks me as a person, but also undermines my credibility as a mod. Ethang's thread was also critical of my modding and my being a moderator, and many of those criticisms were rooted in criticisms of me as a person.
bsh1
bsh1
you can delete this thread and ban me.
You know that, irrespective of site opinion, I will be doing neither.

drafterman
drafterman
-->
@bsh1
There is relatively little difference. Calling me a liar, for example attacks me as a person, but also undermines my credibility as a mod. Ethang's thread was also critical of my modding and my being a moderator, and many of those criticisms were rooted in criticisms of me as a person.
Then it seems odd you would forbid questions about modding in the OP. Nevertheless, you did.

bsh1
bsh1
Then it seems odd you would forbid questions about modding in the OP. Nevertheless, you did.
This was explained. I already answer moderation policy questions all the time. The AMA was created to address a specific challenge to moderation integrity, not moderation policy.

Raltar
Debates: 4
Raltar
I believe it was unnecessary to lock the thread, particularly when there were still outstanding questions without formal answers.
bsh1
bsh1
I believe it was unnecessary to lock the thread, particularly when there were still outstanding questions without formal answers
In my mind, all the questions I could answer were answered--indeed, the vast majority of questions (no matter who they were for) were answered. If questions remain outstanding, feel free to PM the parties who have the answers.
Raltar
Raltar
The appearance of impropriety is a phrase referring to a situation which to a layperson without knowledge of the specific circumstances might seem to raise ethics questions. For instance, although a person might regularly and reliably collect money for her employer in her personal wallet and later give it to her employer, her putting it in her personal wallet may appear improper and give rise to suspicion, etc. It is common business practice to avoid even the appearance of impropriety.

drafterman
drafterman
-->
@bsh1
Then just stop answering the questions. You didn’t lock your other AMA thread, or plenty of other threads that have run their course.
Castin
Debates: 0
Castin
-->
@drafterman
All right that image was hilarious.

TheHammer
TheHammer
It's dumb but I don't take much issue with it. bsh has always locked down his AMAs even though no one else does, probably because he's insecure about them not getting as many posts as, say, YYW's or Danielle's.
Castin
Castin
Really though, I can't believe you guys are complaining about a mod locking a questions thread. This is seriously the quality of protest you think is worth your time now? It's pretty trivial. If you make threads over things like this it can begin to degrade your credibility as sources of quality criticism, and make you look like you'll just attack any little petty thing out of spite.
Raltar
Raltar
-->
@Castin
You know know what the irony Is? 

When the community says "please stop temp banning people and just delete offensive content instead," a moderator will respond "but the community told us not to do that!" 

When the community says, "please don't close threads until the discussion is finished," a moderator responds "we don't care what you think because you complain too much!" 

It's really interesting how doing "what the community wants" is your excuse in one scenario, but ignoring the community is justified in another scenario. 

Castin
Castin
-->
@Raltar
Censorship is a matter of valid concern to the community. It pertains to the editing or deletion of your personal words and thoughts. But this is silly. The mods should not give silly complaints and valid concerns the same attention, imo.

I think this is spillover anger. I got nothing wrong with being angry, but if you're gonna be angry, be angry about something that matters.
Raltar
Raltar
-->
@Castin
Closing a thread when people still had more questions isn't censorship? It prevents us from posting and asking our questions. It is the literal definition of censorship.

Castin
Castin
-->
@Raltar
Then I think it would have been a better idea to create a thread actually asking those further questions. I know I would have considered that worth reading.

The administration would not be obligated to answer in the same way it is in one of the "press conference" threads, but you are not voiceless.
DrChristineFord
Debates: 2
DrChristineFord
-->
@Castin
@bsh1
You're like cops who abuse their power to get a 5% discount on their groceries.  Or someone who cheats on their partner for a 5 second grope over clothes.
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Castin
Really though, I can't believe you guys are complaining about a mod locking a questions thread. This is seriously the quality of protest you think is worth your time now? It's pretty trivial. If you make threads over things like this it can begin to degrade your credibility as sources of quality criticism, and make you look like you'll just attack any little petty thing out of spite. 
Just remember that when I talk about the mod team trivializing user complaints, this is the shit I'm talking about.

Mharman
Debates: 16
Mharman
electric boogaloo
Castin
Castin
-->
@drafterman
But you've had multiple complaints I've found worthy of consideration, like the case you made for anonymous reporting, or vulnerabilities in vote reporting policy. But you do have good complaints and less good complaints, and I think this is a less good one.

drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Castin
But you've had multiple complaints I've found worthy of consideration, like the case you made for anonymous reporting,
For which nothing happened and reports are non-anonymous.

or vulnerabilities in vote reporting policy.
I never made a complaint about the vote reporting policy. I had issues with the voting standard, but those were never taken seriously until the mods were forced to implement that standard universally and realized it was too strict.

But you do have good complaints and less good complaints, and I think this is a less good one. 
I think that misuse of mod power is a legitimate complaint regardless of what it was misused for. DrChristineFord's analogy is spot on. There is no "good" or "acceptable" form of mod abuse.