NFL is a poor choice in sport

Author: Analgesic.Spectre

Total: 9
Analgesic.Spectre
Debates: 1
Analgesic.Spectre
Chronic traumatic encephalopathy, informally known as American Football Disease, is a condition caused by repeated minor concussions, and results in the brain stretching and tearing. Psychologically, people suffering from this disease are 6 times more likely to commit suicide. Memory loss, early dementia and depression are all associated with the disease. Due to these psychologically problems, victims have an average life expectancy of under 60 years (far below the American male average of 76.9 -- (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy)) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otN0qb8Srrw).

If NFL is thoroughly damaging to humans, and alternative sports are readily available (of which are less injurious and quasi-fatal), then why should this be preferred? 
Nd24007
Debates: 0
Nd24007
There are other sports that are just as bad. 
For example, wrestling, and hockey.  

Analgesic.Spectre
Analgesic.Spectre
-->
@Nd24007
Perhaps, albeit I query whether they could be condemned as thoroughly as NFL -- statistics are a necessity.
Castin
Castin
I think a lot of players and fans just aren't super informed about it. They're aware of it, they know it's a danger people are talking about, maybe they read one article or something, but they don't truly understand the risk or what it does. Certainly they haven't listened to Ann McKee talk about it or looked at pictures of CTE affected brains. I almost wish I hadn't, they're gruesome.
ravensjt
ravensjt
I agree and it a shame that the NFL for decades promoted hard hitting and knockout shots.....It would be a search to find football films referencing the 1970's and before without mentioning the "Purple People Eaters" or the "Steel Curtain" or the "Doomsday Defense" not to mention the Black and Silver Raiders.

Analgesic.Spectre
Analgesic.Spectre
-->
@Castin
They're aware of it, they know it's a danger people are talking about, maybe they read one article or something, but they don't truly understand the risk or what it does.
Yes, similar to how people say there are serious problems in Africa, yet are unable to emotionally connect with the gravity of the situation.

Certainly they haven't listened to Ann McKee talk about it or looked at pictures of CTE affected brains. I almost wish I hadn't, they're gruesome. 
The visual has a profound impact on the human mind, perhaps to the extent of surrendering reason.

I know it's anecdotal, but I know many women who were for abortions, until they saw one performed. I know many people indifferent to transgenderism, until they saw a genital modification operation. 

Castin
Castin
-->
@ravensjt
I agree and it a shame that the NFL for decades promoted hard hitting and knockout shots.....It would be a search to find football films referencing the 1970's and before without mentioning the "Purple People Eaters" or the "Steel Curtain" or the "Doomsday Defense" not to mention the Black and Silver Raiders.
Hah, I'm so out of touch with sports. 😕 I take it those terms were celebratory of high brutality plays? The 1970's, that would've been Mike Webster's era.
ravensjt
ravensjt
-->
@Castin
Lol, ya Bro.... type those names up on Youtube sometimes and watch the brutality that they will show

484 days later

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Analgesic.Spectre
Physical activity inevitably carries a risk.

You could choke on a chicken bone.

Not doing anything is the alternative to doing something.

And not doing anything will inevitably get you in the end anyway.

Starvation, heart attack, brain injury. 

You might as well enjoy yourself in the meantime.