Virt's 2019 Tournament!

Author: David

Total: 43
David
Debates: 92
David
Aloha!

Welcome to the first DART tournament of 2019! I am hoping to run regularly scheduled tournaments throughout the year. I hope that these tournaments will help make DART and help grow the debate section of the site. I will be using the Tournament Bracket Generator to create pairings. This will be a single elimination tournament.

This tournament will have a maximum of twelve participants (6 pairings). This may be increased if there is enough interest. Regardless of how many debaters we get this tournament will hopefully start within the next two weeks.

This tournament will be moderated by myself.

Rules

1.Topics will be decided by the debaters. However, there is a strict 48h time limit. If no topic is agreed to after this time frame, I'll be choosing a topic for you.
2. In the event of an odd number of competitors, there will be bye rounds, and I will randomly choose people to freely advance to the next round.
3. The voting period for the debates shall be set for two weeks
4. No troll or non standard debates

Possible Resolutions

If you can't think of a resolution to debate here are some that I believe would make for a good debate.

Resolved: In a democracy, the public’s right to know ought to be valued above the right to privacy of candidates for public office.
Resolved: The United States ought not provide military aid to authoritarian regimes.
Resolved: The United States ought to withdraw from NATO
Resolved: The United States should build and maintain a border wall with Mexico
Resolved: The United States federal government should impose price controls on the pharmaceutical industry.
Resolved: The United States federal government should ban the advertisements of prescription medicine.
Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially reduce its restrictions on legal immigration to the United States.

Debater Sign-Ups:

Judges Signup

I would also like to ask people to signup for judging debates. While anyone can judge a debate we want to be sure that each debate gets at least one high quality RFD and that there are no tied debates. As such if you signup to be a judge you may be called on to judge a debate if a debate has no votes and is less than 3 days left in the voting period.

blamonkey
Debates: 24
blamonkey
-->
@David
I would be fine judging or debating.
David
David
-->
@blamonkey
OK awesome! I'll put you in as a debater for now.
Moeology
Debates: 3
Moeology
I can judge or debate (religion or phil primarily)
Ramshutu
Debates: 43
Ramshutu
-->
@David
I can judge, I don’t have the time to debate right now :)
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
Let me at it. ;) You haven't seen me tryhard other than in my debate vs bench and that still wasn't tryhard structure.

I will debate properly and brutally well-structured, you will fear me.
Mharman
Debates: 22
Mharman
-->
@David
I’m interested... I don’t know if I have the time.
Tejretics
Debates: 7
Tejretics
-->
@David
Resolved: The United States ought not provide military aid to authoritarian regimes.
How about changing this one to "Resolved: The West should never endorse military coups, even when they overthrow autocratic regimes (e.g., Zimbabwe"? 

It'd be awesome to see that debated -- I quite liked that topic. 
BrutalTruth
Debates: 2
BrutalTruth
-->
@David
The last debate I hosted that you moderated, you moderated a bullshit vote as an adequate one, so I'm afraid I'm not interested at all in participating in any tournament you'll be moderating.
warren42
Debates: 2
warren42
/in
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
To be clear my post earlier was an /in.
David
David
OP Updated

David
David
-->
@Tejretics
How about changing this one to "Resolved: The West should never endorse military coups, even when they overthrow autocratic regimes (e.g., Zimbabwe"? 

It'd be awesome to see that debated -- I quite liked that topic. 

This is an interesting topic and would love to debate this with you. While I definitely think we need to stay out of everyone else's business, I think there are some times when it's necessary to intervene such as in case of genocide.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@David
I am of the opposite mentality. The optimal society/world is one where ALL (must be absolutely all) have no privacy at any given time. This would make crime and corruption impossible.
David
David
-->
@RationalMadman
Then that means absolutely no freedom. Do you really want the government to watch you take a shower or have relations with your SO? I don't think so.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@David
To be clear I mean there be absolutely no government official or secret agent that isn't watched 24/7 by the central surveillance agency of everyone.
David
David
-->
@RationalMadman
Ah I thought you meant private citizens to be included. In that case I actually kinda agree with you on that.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@David
They would all be included. You are not wrong.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@David
It would be infinitely stupid to have government officials spied on while citizens are not.
Tejretics
Debates: 7
Tejretics
-->
@David
I'm not interested in debating this myself, more interested in reading.

While I definitely think we need to stay out of everyone else's business, I think there are some times when it's necessary to intervene such as in case of genocide.
The topic has nothing to do with military intervention... it's about endorsing military coups (i.e., militaries taking control over governments).
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
I will sign up as a judge for now. If I find that I have the time to debate, I’ll let you know.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@David
Am I against Warren or are you randomising it? Will help me have extra time to negotiate a resolution with him if need be (or, I guess, I can do that with all if it is random, in advance).
David
David
-->
@RationalMadman
the brackets haven’t been finalized yet so you may or may not go against warren. If you do then you can pick the resolution and pick the side you want to argue 
David
David
Bump
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
For those interested, I prefer philosophy to politic and would appreciate if we can arrange that instead of the suggested things but I'm alright with whatever.
Username
Debates: 9
Username
-->
@David
I'm interested in debating
nmvarco
Debates: 19
nmvarco
-->
@David
I'd be happy to participate too

WisdomofAges
Debates: 5
WisdomofAges
-->
@David
Debate any of them.....asap....
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@David
Pretty sure WoA is signing up, to be clear about what he meant since he's not on your list.
David
David
Bumping for one last time. This tournament will start on Wednesday. Sign up before then!