Debates: 4
YeshuaBought
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvEv_lgafLk&t=1528s
secularmerlin
Debates: 0
secularmerlin
-->
@YeshuaBought
I see no reason to believe that, if Jesus was an historical figure at all, he was a god.
YeshuaBought
YeshuaBought
-->
@secularmerlin
Please debate me on this.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@YeshuaBought
I have not made a positive claim. Are you making a claim which we can debate?
YeshuaBought
YeshuaBought
-->
@secularmerlin
Yes. I am saying Jesus is God.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@YeshuaBought
And what makes you think so?
Stephen
Stephen
In midrashic text  God refers to The David ( king David) as his messiah as his son.

Nitzevet was the mother of King David according to the Talmud
And Jesse was the father of The David /king David. he is sometimes simply referred to as son of Jesse/ bar Jesse.

So, from this we should learn that "son of God is nothing more than a title. 2000 years have passed and many Christians still haven't worked this out for themselves. And I find that shocking.
This title ' The David " as far as I know, has been handed down right out own British Royal family. King Edward for example was referred to by his family as The David or simply David.

His real and full name was Edward Albert Christian George Andrew Patrick David. But was always referred to by his last name. 

His title was publically know as Edward VIII was King of the United Kingdom and the Dominions of the British Empire, and Emperor of India.   The last Title should be of interest to any theologian, because the title Emperor means - Son of god.

Religion and the Monarchy are never far away from one another and are two sides of the same coin. Without a priest there would be no Queen or King. This goes way back to Egypt when the priests - cut out the middleman -and usurped the Pharaoh to become the only ones who could communicate directly with god or THE gods.  

So to get on point. Yes Jesus was A son of god, but not a god.  He came through the Royal line of THE David i.e. King David  - son of Jesse or bar = son of , Jesse

vagabond
vagabond
If he actually existed how would he trace his lineage back to a mythical David?
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@vagabond
a mythical David?

Lets see your evidence that proves King David is a mythical character. Or simply shut up and go away you vile little man.
vagabond
vagabond
-->
@Stephen
My questions too hard for ya, never mind. You're not alone.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@vagabond
So again you make another yet another claim without a single piece of substantial evidence. To back it up. You really a vile and unbalanced,and have  a  very clear lack of thought or intelligence;  you are actually mindless. 
drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
-->
@Stephen
In midrashic text 

Why should anyone care what midrashic text has to say?
Stephen
Stephen
Why should anyone ever care about what anyone says.. at all?

I suppose it depends on one's feild and or interests that makes one care about a subject.
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Stephen
Given that you brought up the midrashic text, I was assuming that you could provide a reason as to why we should consider what it has to say on the matter (in terms of answering the question at hand).

Why should I value the words of the midrashic text over, say, random scribblings on a bar napkin? Should I hold them in equal weight?

Stephen
Stephen
I can't make myself much planer I'm afraid. Like I have said (and you must have missed). 

Why should anyone ever care about what anyone says.. at all?I suppose it depends on one's field and or interests that makes one care about a subject.

drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Stephen
I'm not asking you to make yourself plainer, I'm asking why anyone should consider the midrashic texts in answering this question. What relevance or value do they have?
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@drafterman
What relevance or value do they have?
I think they go towards showing that Jesus was not a god but had a title son of god as did The David 

All priest have the title " father" and are called so by their parishioners but not a single one of them in the world is my father/ or theirs unless blood related. Same goes for Nuns have a title of Mother. 

The bible is riddles with titles that many Christians take as names when in many cases they are not. Jesus Christ is not a name , it is a title but it is amazing how many people actually believe it is a/ his name. Jesus himself has many titles in the new testament  but god is not one of them.

As for value. They would only have value to those who are interested and believe what they are reading.
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Stephen
And how do they show that? Just because someone wrote it down doesn’t make it true.
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
Is Jesus God?
Yes.

(I did not watch the video.)
linate
linate
christians don't usually do a good job defending jesus as god based on the bible. but it is there, if you look.....

Romans 9:5 - ...Christ, who is God over all, forever praised! Amen.
Titus 2:13-15 - ...our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ,
Hebrews 1:8 - But about the Son he says, "Your throne, O God, will last for ever and ever"
2 Peter 1:1 - ...the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ"

at the beginning of the book of John... "In the beginning was the Word. And the Word was with God, and the Word was God. And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us". Jesus became flesh and dwelt amoung us.. Jesus is the word.In John,

Jesus at one point says "unless you believe that I AM he, you will surely perish in your sins". only God is ever referenced to as I AM, and Jesus and everyone else knew it.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@drafterman
Just because someone wrote it down doesn’t make it true

I agree. But my point was titles. Or did you miss this ?
All priest have the title " father" and are called so by their parishioners but not a single one of them in the world is my father/ or theirs unless blood related. Same goes for Nuns have a title of Mother. They would only have value to those who are interested and believe what they are reading.

vagabond
vagabond
-->
@ethang5
No

You didn't need to.
The answer is always NO.
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@linate
christians don't usually do a good job defending jesus as god based on the bible.
Yeah. We know your opinion of Christians.

but it is there, if you look.....
And even if you don't.
vagabond
vagabond
Of course the first question is did the bible Jesus ever exist, and every credible historian will say no.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@vagabond
every credible historian will say no.

That is opinion, of both you and the historian. Name some of the "credible historians" you say will say Jesus didn't exist...
vagabond
vagabond
-->
@Stephen
You don't read well. Respond to what I wrote and not what you would like me to have written.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@vagabond
You don't read well. Respond to what I wrote and not what you would like me to have written.

I did and my  question is on point and simple. You made a definite statement,  this is what you wrote>

Of course the first question is did the bible Jesus ever exist, and every credible historian will say no.

So I ask again, can you name some of these " credible historians" who say " no, Jesus didn't exist"?
vagabond
vagabond
-->
@Stephen
That's not what I said, as I told you earlier. Go away you annoy me.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@vagabond
That is your complete quote why are you denying it?

Post #24 page 1

Added: 08.19.18 07:51AM    Of course the first question is did the bible Jesus ever exist, and every credible historian will say no.

vagabond
vagabond
Go away, you can't read.