Since people seem confused

Author: Polytheist-Witch

Total: 33
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
The Torah = Jewish holy book
The Bible = Christian holy book

The Torah is the first five books of the Bible. That's it. No other shared holy text. Please people, get educated. 
EtrnlVw
Debates: 0
EtrnlVw
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
What is your source of spirituality in literature if I may ask?
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@EtrnlVw
Have to keep in mind much of the literature for the Heathen faiths was adapted by Christians. The Norse sources are The Eddas and Sagas. Snorri Sturluson was the first to really translate the poems and he assigned Odin as All Father, Loki as Satan and made Baldr a Christ figure. The parts about Odin are mostly made up taking Wodan myths and making Odin more king like to endorse the new rules who were Christian. 

While the same religion there are local and regional gods in all the areas where the Heathen religion is practices. Anglo Saxons, Germans, Baltic regions and the Norse have regional gods, local stories and hero worship. Grimm's tales contain myth and practices. Hexeri and Braucherei and Pow Wow are specifically German as are goddesses like Holle and Perchta. The Baltics are a closed practice and much of their lore is still private with goddesses like Baba Yaga being regional to them. Loki is not a German deity. 

So I look to the Edda/ Sagas, folk lore, Grimm, fairy tales, current practices preserved but Christianized. I also practice solitary so if I get a feeling about something when working with a god or spirit I do it. 
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Interesting, what do you think about non-dual Vedanta? or Vedic literature?
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
The Old Testament (also known as the Jewish Tanakh) is the first 39 books in most Christian Bibles.

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
So if i get a feeling about something when working with a god or a spirit I do it.
And a 9
And 8
And a 7
And a 6 
And a 5 
And 4
And 3
And a 2

Since people seem confused. 

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
What's it like to be worthless.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@3RU7AL

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
The Hebrew Bible, also called the Tanakh (/tɑːˈnɑːx/;[1] תַּנַ"ךְ‬, pronounced [taˈnaχ] or [təˈnax]; also TenakhTenakTanach) or Mikra, is the canonical collection of Jewish texts, which is also the textual source for the Christian Old Testament. These texts are composed mainly in Biblical Hebrew, with some passages in Biblical Aramaic (in the books of DanielEzraand a few others). The form of this text that is authoritative for Rabbinic Judaism is known as the Masoretic Text (MT), and is divided into 24 books, while the Protestant Bible translations divide the same material into 39 books.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
The Jewish holy text is the TORAH five books given to Moses by God. The rest is law.
Castin
Castin
Torah (/ˈtɔːrə, ˈtoʊrə/; Hebrew: תּוֹרָה‬, "Instruction", "Teaching" or "Law") has a range of meanings. It can most specifically mean the first five books (Pentateuch) of the 24 books of the Tanakh, and is usually printed with the rabbinic commentaries (perushim). It can mean the continued narrative from the Book of Genesis to the end of the Tanakh (Malachi), and it can even mean the totality of Jewish teaching, culture and practice, whether derived from biblical texts or later rabbinic writings.
It seems to be a versatile term.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Castin
It seems the OP adds to the confusion rather than clearing it up.

It's probably best to avoid Judaic terms, unless you are Jewish or referencing material that is specific to Judaism such as Midrash, which is damn rare on DArt.

People generally get original sin and immacuate conception wrong too.

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Castin
No one asked you 
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@keithprosser
Right lets not discuss a religion unless we are in it. Bye bye atheists. If you post here again your a liar. 
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
I didn't want to say that your OP is flat out wrong but you forced me into it!

Later you compound the OP's error by saying "The Jewish holy text is the TORAH five books given to Moses by God. The rest is law."

The Torah is the law part of the jewish holy text  - the other parts being 'Prophets' and'Writings'.

When it comes to world scriptures, I don't think you know your Azvesta from your Edda.

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@keithprosser
Liar and troll. Thanks for not taking your own advice. 
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@keithprosser
People generally get original sin and immacuate conception wrong too.
Please explain.

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@3RU7AL
He's lying. 
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@3RU7AL
A lot of people think 'original sin' refers to Adam and Eve being disobedient, but it actually refers to each of us being a sinner from our origin (ie conception) in our mother's womb so we are born as sinners right from our origin.   We are all of us born already tainted with 'original sin'.

That is all but one of us - Mary.  Mary was uniquely not tainted with original sin in order she was fit to bear Jesus.  Mary was conceived sinless (ie imacculate) in her mother's womb.   Hence it was Mary who was immmaculately conceived, not Jesus.  'Imaculate conception' is not the same thing as the 'virgin birth'.

Good Catholics are taught all that, but many Protestants aren't taught Catholic theology!

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
He's lying. 
Please explain.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@3RU7AL
He just did. He's also said no one should discuss a religion they aren't in. He is an atheist. Making every post a hypocritical statement. 
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@keithprosser
A lot of people think 'original sin' refers to Adam and Eve being disobedient, but it actually refers to each of us being a sinner from our origin (ie conception) in our mother's womb so we are born as sinners right from our origin.   We are all of us born already tainted with 'original sin'.

That is all but one of us - Mary.  Mary was uniquely not tainted with original sin in order she was fit to bear Jesus.  Mary was conceived sinless (ie imacculate) in her mother's womb.   Hence it was Mary who was immmaculately conceived, not Jesus.  'Imaculate conception' is not the same thing as the 'virgin birth'. 

Good Catholics are taught all that, but many Protestants aren't taught Catholic theology!
Holy mother of Mary!!

So if Mary was "born without original sin" (BWOS) without her mother having to be "born without original sin" (BWOS), then why couldn't the Jesus have been born to Mary's mother and avoid this whole "two step process"?

Or, better yet, why didn't the "YHWH" just immaculately conceive an entire generation of children, so they could be free from Adam and Eve's blood curse (original sin)?

Or better yet, why didn't the "YHWH" just curse Eve's womb (or Adam's walnuts) so they wouldn't have any children, and then make a new perfect couple that would, could, should obey it properly.

I mean, if the thing is really and truly omniscient, it really seems like it should have foreseen how all this would all play out, right?

Wait a minute, doesn't this mean that BOTH the Jesus and the Mary were "immaculately conceived" (AND) "born of a virgin"?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
He just did. He's also said no one should discuss a religion they aren't in. He is an atheist. Making every post a hypocritical statement. 
I think keithprosser was simply suggesting that, if you are not a member of a specific religion, you should carefully check your reference material.

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
I said its best to avoid judaic terms because they are often misused or misunderstood, especialy by non Jews.

Torah
Tanakh
Neviim
Ketuvim
Midrash
Gemara
Kablah
Targum
Nach
etc etc...

Do you know your Targums from your Gemara?

Obviousy there are times you have to use those terms, but if so at least try to use the right one!  As my post on original sin and imacculate conception shows, it's hard to get it right in a religion we think we know fairly well!

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
Atheist discussion religions they aren't in. Hypocrite. 
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@3RU7AL
I think keithprosser was simply suggesting that, if you are not a member of a specific religion, you should carefully check your reference material.
Precisely.

Regarding Catholic doctrine, now you now why they called it a "Papal Bull".

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@3RU7AL
Not a single Catholic I have known thinks that. He is a lying troll and now you are too.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Here is the text of the bull that defined the doctrine of immaculate conception.

Its heavy going, but the highlights are

"Concerning the most Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God, ancient indeed is that devotion of the faithful based on the belief that her soul, in the first instant of its creation and in the first instant of the soul’s infusion into the body, was, by a special grace and privilege of God, in view of the merits of Jesus Christ, her Son and the Redeemer of the human race, preserved free from all stain of original sin."

"the soul of the Blessed Virgin, in its creation and infusion into the body, was endowed with the grace of the Holy Spirit and preserved from original sin;"
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Not a single Catholic I have known thinks that. He is a lying troll and now you are too.
Why not google it?   Type 'immaculate conception' into google and it says:

"The Immaculate Conception is the conception of the Virgin Mary free from original sin by virtue of the merits of her son Jesus. The Catholic Church teaches that God acted upon Mary in the first moment of her conception, keeping her "immaculate"."

If I tell a lie it won't be one that takes under 5 seconds to debunk!

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Liar and troll. Thanks for not taking your own advice. 
So much for the "principle of charity" I guess...