Stress can be good for you

Author: Analgesic.Spectre

Total: 5
Analgesic.Spectre
Debates: 1
Analgesic.Spectre
It seems common sense to state that stress is something which is negative. After all, we tend to avoid stressful situations, and being under stress isn't something we naturally enjoy.

However, there are actually several ways in which the body can respond to stressful circumstances, and some of them might be surprisingly useful. Psychologist Kelly McGonigal posits the idea that if you feel challenged when stress takes hold, it can actually help you shift into a state wherein the body has increased blood-flow to both your muscles and brain. This, in turn, allows the brain to pay better attention to everything in your environment, which is better than the tunnel vision experienced in a fight or flight response. To be terse, you're basically smarter with a challenge response to stress.

So, in the future, don't become anxious when you see your sweat, and don't try to calm down when your heart beats faster. View your stress as a resources, see the stressful event as a challenge, and you will enter a state which is superior.

27 days later

IlDiavolo
Debates: 0
IlDiavolo
The downsides outnumber the upsides.
Analgesic.Spectre
Debates: 1
Analgesic.Spectre
-->
@IlDiavolo
Can you stop following me around and making braindead, worthless posts?

Thanks.
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
Instead of thanking me to re-live your dull lonely thread, you accuse me of following you. ROFL. Who the hell do you think you are?

If you were a bit more intelligent (or empathic) you would realise that I meant it's not worth going through stress, despite of the fact that stress migh be useful at times. Yeah, stress can help us resolve problems, but in the long run it can degrade our health. And I can confirm that because I have been suffering from gastritis precesily due to the constant stress at work.

No, stress is not worth it, especially to people who take things seriously.

Il Diavolo
mustardness
mustardness
-->
@Analgesic.Spectre
I agree to some degree.

1} There exist studies of heart showing that over long period of times that the hearbeat is chaotic and not regular and this a sign of good health,

2} there is small group of New Englanders who keep themselves hungry all the time i.e. they eat as little as possible to supply nourishment and health, yet always on verge of being hungry. Their practice stems from studies showing that when body is starving ergo under stress, its genes will kick in these super hormones, chemicals Resveatrol{?} to give them a boost of energy.

The latter #2 may be closely related to the one you mentioned.

It is like many old sayings,

move it or loose it,

use it or loose it,

no pain no gain

It is always a question of balance { Moody Blues 1970 LP LINK } of all the above.

It is also a bit like making sure kids/childer are exposed to bacteria and virus when younger to help them build their immune systems.

What does not kill us, will most often will make us stronger.