!!!
janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
How do you define agnostic?
keithprosser
Debates: 0
keithprosser
i think that's a job for people who self-identfy as 'agnostic' to say.
janesix
janesix
-->
@keithprosser
So are you an atheist or an agnostic?

Both?
keithprosser
keithprosser
I think knowledge is impossible, so everyone is technically an agnostic.  But that defeats the object of having labels like theist, atheist and agnostic so i think they should apply according to a person's belief and world-view, not knowledge.  Which makes me a dyed-in-the-wool atheist.
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@keithprosser
All agnostics are atheists but not all atheists are agnostic.

Atheist = not a theist.
janesix
janesix
-->
@keithprosser
How certain are you that God/s don't exist? Give me a percentage.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@janesix
I won't give a number, but I think it is more likely I will get hit by meteorite.   The chances are so small they might as well be zero.   IMO, of course.
IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
Well, the definition is clear. An agnostic believes it's impossible to know whether there is a God or not. I personally believe the Gods of many religions, including the Christian God, are very caricaturesque, which doesn't mean Gods don't exist.

But going further with the defintion, I think there is a lot of things we don't know about how the concept of God arose. At least this is not clear to me, which makes me an agnostic. I mean, people are not so idiot or crazy to make up something that has gone deep into societies like the concept of God. There migh have been something that triggered the idea of God. I tend to believe for example that the Gods ancient societies used to worship were in reality beings of other planets, It's quite clear that in front of an advanced civilisation people would think they are magic beings, which reminds me by the way that when the spanish conquerors arrived at America for the first time, the indigenes believed they were Gods.

All in all, we don't take a position because there are things to elucidate as yet.