So, the "teens harassing Native American" viral video thing...

Author: Castin

Total: 57
Castin
Debates: 0
Castin
I nominate this kid for Creepiest Teen on Fucking Earth. All in favor?
Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
-->
@Castin
Unsure, I can't see the video since it's blocked.  
ResurgetExFavilla
ResurgetExFavilla
Mostly I think he's just awkward. There are only so many ways to respond to an old Native guy walking up to you and beating his drum and chanting while you're doing a school cheer. The kids were there completely unrelated to the native march, probably didn't even know it was going on, were all chanting their school chant and this old guy they didn't know (who most people who aren't native wouldn't know) just walks up and starts beating his drum and chanting. 'Grinning awkwardly' is one of the least offensive possible responses to that, and piling on to a bunch of teenagers for responding like teenagers to something that probably came out of left field to them seems a lot more distasteful imo. Not that that's what you're doing, as a lot of the videos take it out of context and don't show how it started, but that's my general take on the issue.
ResurgetExFavilla
ResurgetExFavilla
A link to video from before the viral one. You can see that the kids who supposedly 'surrounded' and 'harassed' and innocent native elder are standing on the same stairs on which the viral video takes place, while the native protestors are walking down the street. The elder changes his path to walk into the crowd of kids and confront them of his own volition. So no, these kids didn't corner some poor native helpless man and jeer him down. The man walked into the middle of their gathering, started chanting and drumming, and they reacted... like bewildered kids. https://twitter.com/mariajudy_/status/1086681831804674048
Castin
Castin
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
What? Wtf does that have to do with his absolute mastery of the creepy stare. Focus, REF.

This is the same old shit, the left automatically go up in arms, the right reflexively take the side of whoever the left are against, and the same old identity politics play out along the same old battle lines. But this time it involved something that mildly amused me and I demand you stop reading from your tedious political script and indulge my wanton amusement. I was even gonna play a game where we guess which demon or monster is possessing him. Pazuzu? Legion? Is he Damien from The Omen? You're not even trying you lazy damn buzzkill.

Castin
Castin
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
@Alec
Anyway the video in your link seems to be just a five second fragment, did you mean to link me to a proper video?

Btw, lol@ "I think he's just awkward." You are such a sweetheart.

Unsure, I can't see the video since it's blocked.  
Idk, try this one.

Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Castin
Heaven forbid a backwards culture was mocked by western civilization....like that never happens...
ResurgetExFavilla
ResurgetExFavilla
-->
@Castin
This is the same old shit, the left automatically go up in arms, the right reflexively take the side of whoever the left are against, and the same old identity politics play out along the same old battle lines.
Lol, it's not a 'reflexive defense' as if both sides are the same. A bunch of these kids are high school underclassman and I just got done scrolling through a Facebook feed of people saying that they should have the shit beat out of them, calling them 'rapists' (wtf?), and advocating calling their school en masse trying to get them expelled. There's no moral equivalency between a kneejerk, certifiably insane reaction to a misleading video clip of kids and the few people who say 'hey, maybe stop the lynch mob mentality'. I think that there is a real moral imperative to try and dispel the collective insanity wherever possible. As I said, it's not that I associate your disinterested snark with that mob mentality, but there is context to the situation.

Did the kid look a bit creepy? Sure. But talking about that while refusing to mention that a bunch of people are trying to ruin their lives over a misleading video perpetuates the misunderstanding on which that hostility is based.

thett3
Debates: 2
thett3
-->
@Castin

thett3
Debates: 2
thett3
This whole saga is probably the most demoralizing thing I’ve seen in a long time. These kids were completely railroaded by an activist who lied about critical parts of the incident, who was then backed up by a willing media apparatus. And predictably the Catholic Church showed a complete lack of moral courage and capitulated immediately and might expel these kids, because they failed to show the proper deference to some crazy Indian who approached them and beat his drum in their face. The main kid literally just stood there 

Alec
Alec
-->
@Castin
The native american accused the Catholics of harassing him.  Probably just some strong Trump supporters.  The catholic church apologized for it.  Why would they tell a Native American to build a wall?  I would not call him creepy, I would call him annoying to the Native American.
mustardness
mustardness
Indian should not have injected himself into the crowd if not specifically in face of the young man.

I wasnt there so cannot speak to the specifics as the actually occurred.

disgusted
disgusted
The aggression came from little drummer boy. The young man showed courageous self restraint, at his age I would have dropped the silly old fart and broken his drum.
Analgesic.Spectre
Debates: 1
Analgesic.Spectre
-->
@Castin
I nominate this kid for Creepiest Teen on Fucking Earth. All in favor? 
Why did you make this thread? Seriously, of all places in the politics section, why are you attempting to have a discussion about whether someone is the "creepiest?" I'm getting so tired of finding a couple hours of free time, logging in to check for intellectual threads, and getting smacked in the face with a discussion on creepiness that's a myopic conclusion from a video that's been edited to distort reality. Even if he is the creepiest (whatever that means), who cares? How is this a political discussion?

People like you really don't belong on a debate site. Sites like these specifically exist for people wishing to discuss important things, with the odd non-serious post to blow off steam. Moreover, I come here to *escape* idiots and shallow thinkers, because they are numerous irl. I have PLENTY of acquaintances irl whom can't think much beyond their immediate needs -- I don't need to find anymore in my free time. All you seem to do is use this place to demonstrate your weird, unfunny sense of humour by posting an endless stream of empty, light-hearted comments, probably because you drive everyone away with it irl. You don't post anything thought provoking which is, you know, the whole point of coming to a place like this. If you want to make friends, go to Facebook or something like that. Stop polluting this site with inane nonsense masquerading as political discussion.

I'll be honest: I really miss DDO. It still had these junk threads back in the day, but at least it had enough worthwhile content to satiate. I'm not bashing the owner or mods for this site, because they're arguably better than they were on DDO, but a decent chunk of Dart's userbase leaves a lot to be desired. I know I complained about this before, but it's just so disappointing that this place has yet to replace DDO adequately. 
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
Turns out the kid and the Natives were being used. If less people were bigots to white people this wouldn't have happened. 
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Castin
The poor kid didn't look creepy, he looked creeped out and awkward as hell. People like the Indian guy are the creeps in my book. Randomly walking up to people and chanting in their face. God, i freaking hate people like him. Antifa, creepy old Indian guy, sjw's... they are the creeps. That kid was actually cool as hell considering. I would have probably grabbed his drum stick and walked away with it. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@thett3
This whole saga is probably the most demoralizing thing I’ve seen in a long time. These kids were completely railroaded by an activist who lied about critical parts of the incident, who was then backed up by a willing media apparatus. And predictably the Catholic Church showed a complete lack of moral courage and capitulated immediately and might expel these kids, because they failed to show the proper deference to some crazy Indian who approached them and beat his drum in their face. The main kid literally just stood there.

While the left leans toward awkward jokes when critical race theory is presented and fully supported by the media, people outside the partisan bubble can predict the inevitable outcome of such a policy over time, and worry for good reason.

Mister_Man
Mister_Man
Catholic school kids go to pro-life march, which happened to be at the same time as an indigenous march. Members of the Black Hebrew Israelites were harrassing the white kids and using racist slurs and being outright racist toward them, then  directed their racism toward the Natives.

With everyone yelling, the Native man approached the kids and banged his drum right in the kid's ear. Kid did nothing but smile. Yeah, his smile looked ridiculous but smiling while someone is blowing up your eardrum and you're having racist taunts being thrown at you isn't the end of the world. Cry in your safe space if you can't handle a white kid not letting minority provocateurs get to him.
Alec
Alec
-->
@Mister_Man
Expose the liberals!  Expose them!
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Alec
Be silent white male.
Castin
Castin
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
It was a guy who walked up to a bunch of adolescent boys who chose to be adolescent boys. What more is there to meaningfully discuss about it. Before camera phones this would have been such a nothing. It's still a nothing, just with more publicity. Extracting humor from the situation is all I saw to be gained and I still say it's all there is to be gained.

You say you feel a moral imperative to speak up. What could you possibly say here that would dispel any insanity. What could you say that would even be news to anyone here.

"People get angry over stupid things"? We knew that.
"People rush to judgment"? We knew that
"People have uninformed opinions"? We knew that.
"People project"? We knew that.

Put aside your scandalized outrage and join me in the shadows of unsurprised cynicism. Of course people overreacted. Of course they harassed him on Facebook. Of course there were threats. It should surprise no one. We have always been tribal, reactionary, mob mentality, sensationalist creatures -- and now we have camera phones and the internet. Do you believe in having a thick skin against everything but the inevitable convulsions of the liberal media? Why should I be easily offended by people being easily offended?

Castin
Castin
-->
@Outplayz
The poor kid didn't look creepy, he looked creeped out and awkward as hell. People like the Indian guy are the creeps in my book. Randomly walking up to people and chanting in their face. God, i freaking hate people like him. Antifa, creepy old Indian guy, sjw's... they are the creeps. That kid was actually cool as hell considering. I would have probably grabbed his drum stick and walked away with it. 
I see. You're jealous of his talent. I understand. You wish you had thought to use his epic creep-o staredown against adults from your own childhood, and you resent his ingenuity. It's the perfect smartass "fuck you", it applies pressure on the target but no one can say you're actually doing anything wrong. As a defense mechanism your mind is trying to rationalize by saying he's awkward and weak, rather than the master of an epic move who makes you feel threatened and insecure. We all wish we'd thought of it and used it against adults from our childhood, Outplayz, please don't feel so less-than.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Castin
I'm offended about what happened after the creepfest video when the "indian" blatantly lied about what happened on all the marxist media networks, just to try to shaft it to the MAGA hat kids.
Castin
Castin
-->
@Greyparrot
Exactly how often are you offended by stupid PC bullshit and at what point are you going to get tired of being offended and decide to grow a much needed callus.
Castin
Castin
-->
@thett3
This whole saga is probably the most demoralizing thing I’ve seen in a long time. These kids were completely railroaded by an activist who lied about critical parts of the incident, who was then backed up by a willing media apparatus. And predictably the Catholic Church showed a complete lack of moral courage and capitulated immediately and might expel these kids, because they failed to show the proper deference to some crazy Indian who approached them and beat his drum in their face. The main kid literally just stood there 
Okay so this whole time I've known you on DART I've been thinking you're one of the SJW liberals. And now I'm confused.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Castin
As often as it takes.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Castin
Why do labels matter to you? When are you going to grow some balls and drop labels?
Castin
Castin
-->
@Greyparrot
What labels. I've just sort of been like "people be crazy". Is "people" a label? Omg. What if it's the worst label of all. What could be more cruel and offensive than telling someone they're part of "people"? Nothing, nothing at all, it's literally the worst insult there is. If someone said that to me I'd be like "how fucking DARE you" and slap them in the face. How could I not see that? What have I done here? 

These are pretty label obsessed times though. And it's hard to have a discussion about that without referencing the labels that are at the root of the conflict.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Castin
Any decent SJW would want to know the truth but any decent person doesn't make fun of people with autism which you support. You are the creepy kid you moron.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Any decent SJW would want to know the truth but any decent person doesn't make fun of people with autism which you support. You are the creepy kid you moron.

1+
making a judgement about someone's physical looks in the context of the o.p. speaks for itself,  whether I do that as well, I certainly wouldn't do it publicly, but if that's how you wish others to perceive you, that's a choice I guess