this method to stimulate human evolution would work to cause speciation

Author: linate

Total: 5
linate
Debates: 0
linate
this method to stimulate human evolution would work to cause speciation.

a new society is created. perhaps it's on an island or on another planet.  it consists of new born to 30 year olds. only the best and the brightest 500 people from society are picked. intelligence and physical attributes. they do genetic testing on the people to ensure diseases and problems indicated by genes and family history are rooted out.

eighteen to thirty year olds are permitted to breed.

then the population of five hundred would be permitted to expand to five thousand. then by the time it got to five thousand, five hundred of the best are picked out to breed. this method of expansion and retraction would be put on repeat. i'm not expert but i'm assuming these numbers would work. i'm sure the experts can pick ideal numbers to cause this stuff to happen. when a parent shows that it later develops a disease, that can disqualify the offspring as well.

eventually, this would lead to speciation.

IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
And what kind of species this experiment would lead to? I see these people would be the same after this peculiar experiment.

Besides, speciation has never been proven, and I doubt it will be proven anytime soon.
Ramshutu
Debates: 43
Ramshutu
-->
@IlDiavolo
Besides, speciation has never been proven
Speciation has been observed multiple times.

Multipe dozens of not hundreds of cited examples (together with references to the scientific literature can be found here:

Or you can just google “observed instances of speciation”, and you will see a substantial number of additional examples.

IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@Ramshutu
I was referring to macromutation, of course. What you have shown is a case of micromutation, which is basically adaptation to the environment.

That is why I said these people would be the same after all, no major changes. That they can't interbreed with other people doesn't mean they "evolve".
Ramshutu
Debates: 43
Ramshutu
-->
@IlDiavolo
You said speciation, which is a completely different thing.

It’s like using the word “car” in one sentence, and then saying you were referring to “o j Simpson”.

That being said, there are millions of examples of macromutations:

Skeletal dysplasiac Dwarfism is a macromutation. So is Hypertrichosis, so is Polydactyly, and cute attacisms like humans growing a tail (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LC_a0uMy_KY) it’s literally a pretty common occurrence - so common that I can almost gaurentee that you either know someone with, or have interacted with a human with a macromutation.