Attracting new people

Author: DebateArt.com

Total: 49
Goldtop
Debates: 0
Goldtop
Sorry Poly, but lying about what I say here is your problem.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Goldtop
No it's not. Calling all theists and anyone who doesn't agree with you mentally ill is. You being a troll like every other troll is the problem. Which you seem to think you are addressing. Castin must have sent you. LOL
Goldtop
Goldtop
Poor Poly, if she isn't spewing venom, she's lying.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
I'm sure others have suggested this elsewhere but I strongly believe that the first forfeit in any debate should garner an automatic loss- no voting, no waiting.   This would really process through a lot of debates with lower interest levels, experiments, absences, etc and help focus the audience on debates where both sides are engaged.  Yes, that means a much smaller set of debates running but I think it would increase the number of debates & interest in them over time.

I like the idea of weekly themes or key words to encourage people to talk about the same things.  The more topical the better.

I like the idea of more frequent, low value recognition:  have a thread where people nominate best forum topic & response  of the week/ best debate/ best RFD, etc.  Last week's winner chooses this week's winner, etc.  Something like this can get little support in the beginning but even if it's lame in the beginning it incentivizes good writing, research, and calls attention to posts that inspire the next week.  I think something like DDO's Olympics was a good idea but the timeframes were killing interest.  I think you're better off doing quick cycles with a few participants that might potentially grow over iteration.  

More women.  Ask more women about how to attract more women.  Women are the majority of society- no social activity can be said to be really buzzing without a lot on interest & content from and for women.  A site like might always be dude-heavy but if we want something interesting here, we need to be always trying to improve the ration of women to men.

If a category of forum or debate isn't getting a lot of love, axe it.  If a category is getting most of the attention, divide it.  Right now the cars forum has 5 topics and 42 posts.  Why not stick those threads under technology

DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@IlDiavolo
With all due respect, I think the non-commercial purpose stuff is something that you can't even believe it yourself.

Even if it were your hobby, you need some money to hold up this site. Have you ever thought about what you would do if this site gets more popular and you need to increase the bandwidth of the hosting service? As every site devoted to content, it's always possible to monetise it. But for that you need a bit of investment and time.

You've got to take it as a business anyways.
Well, I had hopes on donations but I am not sure anymore. Bandwidth, RAM and CPU are cheap these days and I use a programming language that is really efficient when it comes to this, so there won't be any problems on this side. But things like emails delivery, storage (for avatars and probably some other things) and the like will indeed require more investments, not that much but still. Not mentioning that sometimes I have to buy some damn icons :/

But I think that if at some point we actually have some good amount of people here, then we'll need to think about it more thoroughly, because the site would need much more moderation and maybe even some support system and things like that, which actually requires money ...

Anyway, I guess time will tell :)
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Tejretics
@oromagi
I'm sure others have suggested this elsewhere but I strongly believe that the first forfeit in any debate should garner an automatic loss- no voting, no waiting.   This would really process through a lot of debates with lower interest levels, experiments, absences, etc and help focus the audience on debates where both sides are engaged.  Yes, that means a much smaller set of debates running but I think it would increase the number of debates & interest in them over time.
I believe we had some discussion on this and it wasn't that simple. I believe Tej brought up some good points on this. Let's ping him.

I like the idea of weekly themes or key words to encourage people to talk about the same things.  The more topical the better.

I like the idea of more frequent, low value recognition:  have a thread where people nominate best forum topic & response  of the week/ best debate/ best RFD, etc.  Last week's winner chooses this week's winner, etc.  Something like this can get little support in the beginning but even if it's lame in the beginning it incentivizes good writing, research, and calls attention to posts that inspire the next week.  I think something like DDO's Olympics was a good idea but the timeframes were killing interest.  I think you're better off doing quick cycles with a few participants that might potentially grow over iteration.  
That sounds interesting, we might turn it into something.

More women.  Ask more women about how to attract more women.  Women are the majority of society- no social activity can be said to be really buzzing without a lot on interest & content from and for women.  A site like might always be dude-heavy but if we want something interesting here, we need to be always trying to improve the ration of women to men.
I am afraid it's not that easy to attract people here in general, the site needs many improvements first :/

If a category of forum or debate isn't getting a lot of love, axe it.  If a category is getting most of the attention, divide it.  Right now the cars forum has 5 topics and 42 posts.  Why not stick those threads under technology
Oh it's been on the TODO list for a century, I will definitely do that. Pain in the ass about it though is that I'd need to setup bunch of redirections to not kill SEO.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Goldtop
Yes, you're interested or Yes, you want to keep the status quo?

If interested, get to work on that mission statement and think about what you want here for this site and what kind of folks you want to attract? For example, do you want to attract reasonable, logical and rationale people who will provide relatively intellectual debates?

No one can help you with this unless we know what you want.
Of course I am interested but I have no clue what you are talking about, it's too abstract for me. It's like those "How to get rich" books, they may have 500 pages but it's all either obvious or nonsense stuff.

If you have some specific ideas, please share them. I don't understand how those mission statements will help the situation.
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@DebateArt.com
His idea is literally to ban me, polytheist witch and ethang.

That's literally his only idea.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@RationalMadman
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Tejretics
Debates: 7
Tejretics
-->
@oromagi

I think I disagree with the first forfeit thing, but I like these ideas.

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
Yeap and probably a few other theists he has stated were mentally ill
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@DebateArt.com
If you want to do than do it. Don't be a wimp. 
Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@DebateArt.com
Nonsense stuff? Okay, if this is way too hard for you to understand and you're only interested in some quick fix scheme, then there's no point trying to help you. I explained why you need to do some homework but it seems that's way too hard as well. It's how things are done in the real world and how you're going to stop the massive exodus of members here. But if you're not interested, then don't ask for help, you seem to believe you know what you're doing, despite the statistics of a failing forum. I don't need to waste my time helping you when all you do is toss it back as nonsense stuff.

Good luck, you're really going to need it.
Goldtop
Goldtop
His idea is literally to ban me, polytheist witch and ethang.

That's literally his only idea.
Since I said nothing of the sort, clearly that's another one of your lies.  But, you brought it up, so if it must be apparent and evident to you as a solution,  is it also apparent and evident to everyone else, then?

I've moderated and ran forums for years and even though I don't do that anymore, I do remember how it all works and what needs to be done to make successful forums.  It would be sad to see this forum fail, but that's where it's headed.  Too bad.

RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@Goldtop
Get the fuck out of here, you have no place in these forums. Come 1v1 me again and see if I end up banned or you do. I am not going to pussyfoot around the likes of you.
Goldtop
Goldtop
Get the fuck out of here, you have no place in these forums
Interesting, I get attacked viciously by three separate members here for no reason other than what they each have concocted in their vivid, over-active imaginations.

Yeah, great forum, no problems here at all. Lol.

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
Poor Goldtop thinks no one reads or remembers what he previously posts. 
Goldtop
Goldtop
You certainly don't remember what I wrote considering the lies you're telling.

Goldtop
Goldtop
Last December, I looked at the Leaderboard and found around 140 were active. I use a benchmark of 14 days, in that someone is considered active if they’ve posted within that time frame. Today, the number is about 70, which is half of what it was only 2 months ago.

Update: After one week, this number is now down to 62 members and declining steadily. Great work, guys! Nice to see you really know what you're doing. Ever hear of the term, "Diminshing Returns"?