A liberal's rant about liberals

Author: Castin

Total: 11
Castin
Debates: 0
Castin
I'm a progressive. I saw a Bill Maher piece recently that perfectly sums up my feelings about political correctness. Thought I'd post it here in case anyone wanted a laugh.

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Castin
first I would urge you to not label yourself and put yourself into a box, secondly if you really want to do so, you should probably pick a different label as what the general public accepts and calls progressiveness, is probably something you are actually not, if you identify with that video.  In fact I think he does a good job of defining progressives as they are talked about and displayed on the media.
Castin
Castin
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
I don't think any of us like labels or fit neatly into them, but we use them to give strangers a brief ballpark idea of where we stand.

But okay, if I'm not a progressive then what am I. I believe in progress. And that means letting progress in science, morality, and philosophy inform and influence our politics. I'm big on NASA and scientific research and achievement. A cornerstone of my worldview comes from this Sagan quote, which should be familiar to many.

“Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there -- on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.

There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.”

Stephen
Stephen
“You could ONLY be a cowboy, Indianor a horse” ☺

I’m surprised there isn’t a threadhere by to those who make it their business to get  offended on the behalf of those who arenot  offended in the slightest.

Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Castin
But okay, if I'm not a progressive then what am I. I believe in progress.
If you really believe in progress then you can't support government intervention and mismanaged meddling in innovating and improving the human condition. That basically means you can't be a traditional Republican or a traditional Democrat.

Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Castin
Also, the future of Space exploration will not likely involve NASA much at all. You should pick one of these and support them if you really want to see progress in space.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Castin
Should Trevor Noah apologise for his brilliant joke ,

"YesSS! African won the world cup" . ? And " let's face it, African won the world cup".

I thought it was hilarious.
Castin
Castin
-->
@Greyparrot
My dream would be a total breakup of the two party system, with power divided among at least half a dozen different parties that appeal to more nuance in public opinion. Also, no more electoral college. 
Castin
Castin
-->
@Stephen
That video seems to not be available in the U.S. What was the joke?
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Castin
The joke is that many of the world-cup winning French team were ethnic Africans, as were many players in other teams.

Stephen
Stephen

It appears it takes absolutely nothing to trigger liberals. Trevor Noah made a joke about the French national football (soccer to Americans) team that won the world cup which was made up of mainly black French players .

"Africa won the world cup"
Deary me, never mind, what a shame.

The French government got in on it and, as with Boris Johnson MP U.K. (letter boxes) the liberals didn't let up.