Total: 7
Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
What is the Alec Style of government?  Imagine people voted like this:

-48% for a Republican
-45% for a democrat
-7% for a Libertarian.

The republican candidate gets 48% of the term, the democrat gets 45% of the term, and the libertarian gets 7% of the term for them and their party to rule the country in their image instead of the republican getting the entire term when most of the country didn't vote for him.

This also will lead to the breakup of major political parties, allowing for more ideological diversity.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
If you redefined a term as 50 years long, I'd say we're already pretty close to achieving your vision.  In the big picture, Republican vs Democrat are just oppositional labels without much inherent ideology.   Democrats and Republicans have virtually flipped ideological polls over the past century.  I'd rather see a candidacy that embraces the spectrum as worthy- can we make healthcare affordable without growing government, for example.  Can we project global military power without spending half our taxes on unproductive weapons, etc.

Alec
Alec
-->
@oromagi
I would rather have a term be 4 or 10 years.  If people want to change, they should do it on a year by year basis.  I also would like to see someone other then a democrat or a republican as president.  It would be good for the country.

I think healthcare could be affordable by trying to get religious institutions to pay for it for those that can't afford it.  The poor people would contribute what they can to their health insurance, and the church pays for the rest.  If you don't think they can, they probably will be able to if RIEP(Religious Institution Enhancement Policy) comes into effect.  What this is is it is the government encouraging that people tithe to the church or their religious organization.  Atheists can tithe to whoever they want.  It's encouraged, not mandatory.  Democrats want to help the poor out, many on the left would tithe.  Many Republicans would also tithe since Republicans tend to be religious.

Even with RIEP, lets say for the sake of argument that religious institutions can't pay for it.  It still helps reduce the cost of health insurance significantly for poor people, leaving much less work for the government to do.  

Can we project global military power without spending half our taxes on unproductive weapons, etc.
What is an unproductive weapon?  We don't need more nukes then what we already have, but what would you think of robot soldiers?
ResurgetExFavilla
Debates: 0
ResurgetExFavilla
Presidents should be 'elected' through barefisted mortal combat.
Alec
Alec
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
I don't agree.
triangle.128k
Debates: 0
triangle.128k
-->
@Alec
Interesting, but not as great as the triangle.128k style of government:

The President of the US shall be selected by a military council, or through a direct succession line. They are then placed as the head of state with near absolute power, and justified by the divine right to rule. 

21 days later

Alec
Alec
-->
@triangle.128k
I don't agree with military rule.