Total: 28
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
Obtain the grain
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
I'm so not HypeBeast I had to google what is HypeBeast.  The shit I saw just left me staring.  How's about I'll hype a pint of guinness?
Vader
Vader
-->
@oromagi
Sure lol
RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
👍
oromagi
oromagi
what's next?
Vader
Vader
-->
@oromagi
thats up to someone else
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Vader
I'm going with Black History, I won't start a new post since I doubt the theme will be popular.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@oromagi
I don't like picking a person there. Malcolm X had his role, as did Rosa Parks and MLK Jr. They all had a role and most of all the white democrats that no one talks about, who were central to the blacks gaining civil rights, are not mentioned much in history books, let alone in the media.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@oromagi
I'll use an Ali pick as I can relate to him in other ways on this site.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
this is Young Ali:

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
Added a couple quotes to go with it.
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@RationalMadman
yes!  That man strode the earth like a king 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@oromagi
Do you think it's a better theme to do 'good guys' or 'antiheroes' for next week?

We need to pick themes more users will want to join in with.

How about instead of 'good guys' it's 'good guys/girls' and latter is antiheroes/antiheroines?

The importance is that it should only allow the Superman-type of hero, not the Batman/Dexter type in the former, whereas the second will specifically like that kind.

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@RationalMadman
ok-  I choose Samwise Gamgee- one of my all time favorite heros 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@oromagi
Okay, the theme is 'good guys' for the upcoming week. I'll think and let this image of the previous theme sit as it's not even Sunday yet for most on this site (and the world actually, at this hour).
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@oromagi
to match the orange and black colouring of yours and also because this guy is just plain badass in all the right ways, I pick puss in boots. By far the most charismatic hero of all fiction. ;)
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@oromagi
what's next week's theme?
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@RationalMadman
St. Patricks Day is coming up, so is the Ides of March. 

How about top ten drunks and/or the famously assassinated?

or how about a picture of what you would give up for Lent?

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@oromagi
As a Pagan, I see Lent as a deceptive concept. If you're giving something up, give it up. If you don't want to stop indulging in something, then be the filthy hedonist you were born to be and stop worrying about it.

Famously assassinated seems good. I don't have much respect for Irish culture or mentality; very alcoholic, angry and egotistical people in general (yet pose as humble catholics). If that offends you, I am NOT sorry. IRA did horrific things and I feel no shame in saying Ireland is very nasty and corrupt on a deep level, including in its organised-crime world where mafia-like formations are very common even today.
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@RationalMadman
As a Pagan, I see Lent as a deceptive concept. If you're giving something up, give it up. If you don't want to stop indulging in something, then be the filthy hedonist you were born to be and stop worrying about it.

Well the point is sacrifice- not something you have to give up but something you give up anyway as gesture, instead of slaughtering a ram, etc.
Any good pagan knows all about sacrifice, no?

Famously assassinated seems good.

OK then.  We'll wait to what, Sunday?

I don't have much respect for Irish culture or mentality;

Oh, I do.

very alcoholic, angry and egotistical people in general (yet pose as humble catholics). If that offends you, I am NOT sorry.

I try to be hard to offend and your characterization is not so wrong.  but we Irish can also take a punch. 

IRA did horrific things
This is true.

and I feel no shame in saying Ireland is very nasty and corrupt on a deep level, including in its organised-crime world where mafia-like formations are very common even today.

I don't know any place in Europe that doesn't have some organized crime.  My mother's family was super-IRA.  My Grandmother fled Ireland at the age of 14- after her best friend was drawn and quartered by the police.  We're still connected to that old family and they are incredibly proud of their violent resistance even today.  Two of my cousins there served as extras in the movie Braveheart.   I wouldn't try to defend IRA thuggery but I think Irish independence was just enough.  I try to promote non-violent protest and I think the Anglo-Irish relationship was as susceptible to a potent non-violent movement as any dynamic of the 20th century but the Irish chose violence.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@oromagi
I know what real 'need for violence' is. I have researched into Tamil Tigers (both sides) Palestine Liberation Organization vs Hamas vs Israel (all sides, okay actually no, Hamas has no side they're just fucking lunatics) and IRA. 

What I can say is this; IRA is far more violent AND unjust than their opposition even in the core concept. The reason is that IRA is the OCCUPYING FORCE or it WANTS TO BE against the will of the very people in Northern Ireland. This is why they are actually the reverse of most terrorist 'freedom-fighter' organisations. They are literally trying to be the occupying force NOT the ones to liberate it.

The Northern Irish, by a vast majority, want to be British. This has been proven even in the last election where their party being the pro-UK party was the entire reason Conservatives could win (didn't have enough seats, had to coalition).

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@RationalMadman
Seem like we should move this to politics or something, but yeah.  Frankly, I think England should have given everybody the franchise- English citizens all from North America to Hong Kong and so become a much longer lasting Empire.  Even after a successful independence I think Great Britain and Ireland are stronger together and would benefit better from competition within a United Kingdom but that question is long past.  I think most people there are well-prepared to live together without much religious intolerance and with as much autonomy over their affairs as parliament can spare.  Belfast is prospering, the old divisions are fading.  Northern Ireland is both English and Irish, Protestant and Catholic, Orange and Green.  What's the value of restoring ancient emnities?

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@oromagi
My point was that while it's your mother and cousins, perhaps you should focus more on others in your life and make family with the peaceful people. Violent families force violent attitudes and such onto others in their family; "beat him to a pulp" kind of ethos. Equally, pacifist families do the opposite, my mother is testament to that and is one of the hugest reasons that I didn't let a childhood of being bullied by schoolkids and my own father end me up being a violent monster myself.

Be careful who you let influence you, careful doesn't mean no-one, and you'll end up doing very well in life. You can't stop the effect people have on you; you can only pick the right ones by opening yourself up to them and letting them matter to you, more than the others.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@oromagi
Then again, some people really should be beaten to a pulp especially if they are scum of the Earth types that ruin(ed) our species, so it depends.
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@RationalMadman
i am decidedly uncareful in my influences.  I embrace multitudes. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@oromagi
playing things 'safe' is usually the guaranteed failure method in the long run. No risk, no reward.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@oromagi
I make you a deal. We do Irish icons if I get Mcgregor.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@oromagi
fuck it man, you are ignoring me and no one plays along with this theme. Let's call it quits until people want to actually have it going.