Incontrovertible evidence of a god...but uh oh!.... (Thought Experiment)

Author: ludofl3x

Total: 90
ludofl3x
Debates: 0
ludofl3x
Let's say tomorrow you wake up to find that indeed, an almighty power DOES exist, and said power has provided evidence overnight to the entire earth of its existence. It's all over the news, it's doing interviews, it's demonstrating its powers, it's explaining the meaning of life, etc. etc. In short, there is literally no way to deny its existence. There's one problem though: it's some god OTHER than the one your grew up worshiping. To use the Christian example, it's definitely not Jesus or the holy spirit or god or the ultimate truth, it's absolutely something or someone different. Good thing for you, though, this deity is granting amnesty from retribution for not believing in it, for a limited time! It knows it could have communicated better, or been more present, but the long and short of it is that he doesn't blame you. He does, however, demand that you present yourself to him within 48 hours, bend the knee and renounce your old belief. You can do it and enjoy his good graces, or you can deny it, and be sent to some equivalent of the punishment you used to fear from your old religion. 

Would Christians then immediately renounce Jesus? Muslims Allah? Hindus their pantheon?  Etc. Etc. Etc. Remember now, this is unquestionable evidence. There's no doubt this thing exists. 

RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
-->
@ludofl3x
There's always doubt.

There's never guarantee.

These 2 axioms are why your case is futile, even as a thought-experiment.

I have come across the real God. She is female, first of all, and the name she prefers is Fiora.

ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@RationalMadman
Perhaps it's not clear: the almighty deity REMOVES any doubt. Like for the first time ever. It literally elimiates the ability to doubt it, like it takes that part out of your brain. Now what? Also if you don't want to participate, don't. 

disgusted
disgusted
Hey maddy, piss poor block.
Well you got that wrong, but never mind.
Ludo set the rules, only an idiot trys to change the rules of an already established hypothetical experiment and then agrees with himself.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@ludofl3x
No. I would find this deity a liar. Just like the God of Abraham. I have experienced my gods. Besides any entity that could manifest physically i would not be a god. More than likely some alien trying to pull a fast one. 
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
It's like you've never met a point you couldn't miss. The rules of the thought experiment are clear, and changing them only makes me think you're afraid of your own answer. Again if you don't want to participate...well, let's try language you have used in the past, let's see if I can get it right...(ahem)

"Then fuck off, you bigot tard muffin." 

You're not COMPELLED to reply to my topics. I never understand why you take the time to respond "I don't want to play this game!" Just skip it, dude.  

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@ludofl3x
i didn't change anything. I stated I would view them a liar. Nothing more to it. Your hate and stupidity are not my problem. Fuck you and I post to the topic I want to. Don't want to engage theists fuck off. 
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Remember now, this is unquestionable evidence. 

From the original OP. Unquestionable: CANNOT BE QUESTIONED. Is there like a remedial version of the internet you might find easier? I'm fine engaging with theists. You never engage anything, you simply complain and shit on stuff and act like this angry goofball, it's impossible to take you seriously. Yet here you are, taking up space. 

Let me try to help: you would think it was a liar and choose punishment. Is that right?
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@ludofl3x
I know you exist doesn't make you a god you fucking idiot. I gave the reason I felt this being would be lying and you would get it if you were not a bigot moron with no concept of faith. 
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
So it's punishment you're choosing then? Again I'm trying to help you find the topic at hand. It's either punishment or admit you're wrong, there aren't any other choices. 
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@ludofl3x
Considering I have no evidence for any gods now and believe why would some being showing up and saying they are god matter? I would take the assumed punishment this being says they can give. Just like you are going to Hell? Right 
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@ludofl3x
I don't know what I would do, and - i submit - neither does anyone else know how they would react.

Imagining a scenario is very different from it actually happening and there is no way to test if anyone would really do what they say they would!

I think the scenario suggested is too bizarre to generate a reliable forecast of the response.  If it happens then we will see, but I won't worry about it.

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
Better ream keith for his non answer or you are a hypocrite. 
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@keithprosser
Yeah, imagining a scenario is very different from it actually happening. That's why it's a thought experiment. I mean if the trolley problem were ever really presented, I don't think anyone can know what they'd do, but they can certainly speculate and discuss it. 

Consider yourself reamed!

It's a thought experiment, I'm not asking for a prediction of what will happen when this happens. As an atheist, what would your response be? I can say for myself, I would have to submit, because all I've been asking for is evidence, and there it would be. It doesn't make me feel great to say, but that's kind of the point of a thought experiment. 
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@ludofl3x
Hypocrite bigot. 
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@ludofl3x
Consider yourself reamed!
Not on this occasion!

A difference with trolley problems is that trolley problems resemble real world problems.  i'm thinking 'driverless cars'.   Soon we are going to have face up to writing software that makes trolley-problem like decisions.   Do you want your driverless car to prioritise your safety or third-parties?  I wonder if people could choose the 'moral options' installed in their newcar along with its colour!   It would probably effect insurance premiums...

But while driverless cars are becoming a reality, God is not going make a personal appearance.
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@ludofl3x
Antichrist.

Without a doubt.

In fact, even if it pretended to be Jesus, I would say the same thing.

In fact, this sort of thing might actually be in the planning...

Some applicable scripture from St. Paul's 2nd epistle of Thessalonians..

"Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and byour gathering together unto him,
That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.
Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things?
And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time.
For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.
And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:
Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,
And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness."

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@ludofl3x
I can't imagine any atheist not having second thoughts if a god manifested itself.  

However I would point out to anyone who cared that my previous atheism was entirely reasonable and rational and whilest theists had obviously made a lucky guess, I would stress that they hadn't got it exacty right either so they shouldn't get too cocky over it.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@keithprosser
Yes your bigotry is always noted. 
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Honestly, Is anyone not a bigot with you?   I think if If Nelson Mandela posted something you'd call him a bigot.
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Mopac
Mark two believers out of two who've responded as pro-punishment, got it!

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@ludofl3x
It was kind of hard for people to deny that Caesar wasn't a god either given that he pulled the same stunt.

And yes, many martyrs of the faith who endured the most hellish of torments, even onto death.

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@keithprosser
If he runs around talking about how much better he is then theists simply by not being one then yes he is. 
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Mopac
And two-for-two believers who don't understand what a thought experiment is supposed to be. 
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@ludofl3x
I gave an answer, bigot. You not liking the answer is on you.
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
I know, you chose punishment, I got it. 
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@ludofl3x
Your are a retard. If you understood my religion you wouldn't be a retard. Hell is a Christian thing. Retard.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@ludofl3x
Maybe you don't understand where I am coming from.

And I wouldn't consider the polytheist a believer. An atheist tends to be a polytheist in denial.
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
@Mopac
What's hell got to do with it? I said whatever form of punishment you might believe in. Rather than acknowledge the true god that wasn't yours, you chose, as Mopac did, to go to eternal punishment. Not sure what I got wrong there. There's only two choices. That's how the experiment works. If you're struggling with this one, please don't bother with the next one, they only get more difficult. 

And Mopac, you're coming from you believe in Jesus and even when presented with incontrovertible proof that there wasn't any jesus or god or ultimate truth, you chose to deny it anyway and be punished forever. Again, where is that incorrect?
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Mopac
Maybe you don't understand where I am coming from.
You're as deep as a car park puddle, we know where you're coming from.
An atheist tends to be a polytheist in denial.
Do you see what I mean about the puddle? An atheist denies just one more god than you deny, I'm 100% atheist and you are 99% atheist.