Who was the Serpent in the Garden?

Author: Castin

Total: 79
RoderickSpode
Debates: 0
RoderickSpode
-->
@Castin
Of Eden, of course. Christians and the western world say the Serpent is Satan, duh. But it's worth noting that Genesis was not written by Christians. It was written by ancient Hebrews who did not have the concept of the devil that we do now.

In the story, this one creature is responsible for the existence of all suffering. It literally ruins everything. And it knowingly and sneakily causes this to happen. Why? What did the authors intend this creature to be? Where did such malicious intent come from?

And was this supposed to be a real snake, or a representation of something else? Voltaire once wrote:

It was so decidedly a real serpent, that all its species, which had before walked on their feet, were condemned to crawl on their bellies. No serpent, no animal of any kind, is called Satan, or Belzebub, or Devil, in the Pentateuch.
This is a part of the Bible that's a mystery, but with many valid links to consider (symbols of snakes used in different religion cultures down to the medical field, Reptilian Complex, etc. ).

A key ingredient of the serpent in the Garden, and today's deadly snakes is that there's no appeal to human morality or sanity. When a human commits a horrific act, we wonder why. We may appeal to their sanity and lack of human compassion. When a snake attacks a human, the snake is the equivalent of a movie monster for the person being attacked. There's no appeal to reptilian compassion. There's no negotiating with a snake that of course doesn't communicate with us intellectually, just as the serpent in the garden was not one to negotiate with, but who did communicate intellectually with Eve. While we may not know exactly what that serpent was, there's a considerably valid lesson to be learned from that given account whether it was conveyed literally, or symbolically.

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@RoderickSpode
You don't seem to understand that the whole story is fiction. What do you think of Voldemort's powers?
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@disgusted
I don't read or watch movies of Harry Potter. But I'm sure he's not able to create a universe.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@RoderickSpode
Neither can your imaginary god.

RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@disgusted
I disagree.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@RoderickSpode
You can disagree as much as you like, you just can't prove you are right.
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@disgusted
And neither can you.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@RoderickSpode
Oh I can. Every god is a creation of man, none of them can create anything.
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@disgusted
Ok. I got your opinion. Now prove it.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@RoderickSpode
Provide a god who is not claimed by man to exist.
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@disgusted
The Flying Spaghetti Monster.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@RoderickSpode
Abject failure. Your arguments amount to I'm afraid of death so I'll believe crap that will keep me alive.
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@disgusted
We actually have no argument.
Harikrish
Harikrish
-->
@Castin
Yeah I'm gonna be cynical and say it was at least 50% about placing blame on women. Y'know I used to have an Eve Was Framed shirt, I wonder what happened to that...

I'll have to agree with keith that patriarchy was so entrenched this aspect of the story probably wasn't even remarked upon.

Women view fruits and vegetables very differently than males.

genesis 3:6 When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it.
Castin
Castin
-->
@RoderickSpode
This is a part of the Bible that's a mystery, but with many valid links to consider (symbols of snakes used in different religion cultures down to the medical field, Reptilian Complex, etc. ).

A key ingredient of the serpent in the Garden, and today's deadly snakes is that there's no appeal to human morality or sanity. When a human commits a horrific act, we wonder why. We may appeal to their sanity and lack of human compassion. When a snake attacks a human, the snake is the equivalent of a movie monster for the person being attacked. There's no appeal to reptilian compassion. There's no negotiating with a snake that of course doesn't communicate with us intellectually, just as the serpent in the garden was not one to negotiate with, but who did communicate intellectually with Eve. While we may not know exactly what that serpent was, there's a considerably valid lesson to be learned from that given account whether it was conveyed literally, or symbolically.
So you interpret the snake as a stand-in for amoral animal behavior? Our base instincts?
disgusted
disgusted
Provide a god who is not claimed by man to exist.
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@Castin
So you interpret the snake as a stand-in for amoral animal behavior? Our base instincts?

Not as such. I have to forewarn you, my view of who the serpent is might be different than others, but......it'll probably still sound crazy to you. In other words, I'm not going to try and give the impression the account in general was purely symbolic to make it sound plausible, and myself more sane.

I do think the serpent is symbolic of an actual encounter Eve had with Satan (crazy right). I think the author referred to Satan as a common snake one would find in the middle east, maybe somewhat similar to Jesus referring to the pharisees as a brood of vipers. Abraham was certainly familiar with snakes as an example evident in Exodus. The author observed the cunning nature of a common snake, and used it symbolically to describe the fallen angel. And the cursing of the snake was an observational curse (the various unpleasant conditions a snake faces including maybe animal abuse by magicians).

Some of the other views are that the snake was an impressive looking creature that lured Eve by it's attractiveness. And some even believe there was a sexual encounter. The more common one is an actual snake possessed by Satan.

But I don't think Eve's focus was on Satan/the serpent so much as it was the fruit. I don't think Satan took on a physical form when communicating with Eve. I think Eve knew who Satan was, at least to some degree. But I think Eve was open for negotiation, so Satan became a source for a second opinion that Eve was able to use to convince herself it was okay to eat the fruit.

I think this is one of those portions of texts Christians will never agree on as far as your question. Many would disagree with me, and probably with good reason.

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@RoderickSpode
Probably because the entire story is fiction.
WisdomofAges
Debates: 5
WisdomofAges
-->
@Castin
LOOK in the mirror...all anyone need is between their EARS...sadly the majority of humans are BRAINWASHED and HYPNOTIZED into dumbed 
down slaves of clever MIND and LIFE MURDERING psychopaths....most who hide behind some GOD hoax, Political Circus, Business Maze,

all HUMANS seem do do well is MURDER each other both PHYSICALLY... but especially MENTALLY....=  the OPEN MIND CONSTRUCT....the BODY is not a TERRORIST MURDERER it is merely an AVATAR a TOOL...it's the "INVISIBLE Parasite Vampire VOMIT" flowing in the neural network of HUMANITIES BRAIN....that is used as TOOL to create FEAR - INTIMIDATION - VIOLENCE....

This relatively small FLESHY SPONGE = BRAIN becomes the WAREHOUSE of methods to MURDER and DESTROY its own species and all other
life forms on EARTH.....how utterly INSANE for these pathetic humans to use some GOD hoax as a TOOL to extinguish themselves...and to also
PLAY GOD in Government and Business for the same intention...POWER and CONTROL or DIE....

Wake UP HUMANS...your time on this world and in this LIFE FORM is fading.....either eliminate the Parasite VAMPIRE diseases of GODS and 
PLAYING GOD...or forever be EXTINCT...and rightfully so....your place in the COSMOS is NOT VIABLE....extinction eminent...