polly

Author: keithprosser

Total: 26
keithprosser
Debates: 0
keithprosser
I can't believe polly appears to be banned (again).  Surely no-one is actually upset by her loose-cannon broadsides aimed (if that' the word) at anything and everything that moves.   It's only a time to worry if you don't get called a bigot tard by P - you'd know you must be really losing the plot.

I hope she is soon restored to being the breath of fresh ai... well, of fresh bile and strangely innoccuous vitriol, actually DArt needs.  I miss the silly girl already.

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@keithprosser
Bsh prefers you don't discuss people bans and post these call outs.

(Idc, but bsh does)

Vader
Vader
Idek anymore. I have not seen any provoking actions to trigger a ban, so a link to the posts would be helpful

But more or less, I think banning people and banning people is not a healthy way to deal with the solution. This why I advocate for a ban log, but it won't be implemented. That way all bans are recorded without Bsh complaining about call outs.

Lassiez fair is the way we need to operate. If everyone gets an RO that isn't needed or something like that, then the activity decreases
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
Poly's in my good books for being the first of only two to update my President's Day post

Lassiez fair is the way we need to operate. If everyone gets an RO that isn't needed or something like that, then the activity decreases
I think under any other circumstance I'd be agreeing with u Sup but I actually came to this site because I so admired the way bsh ran Ops like mafia & tourneys, etc.  Warn, warn, hammer, forgive- warn, warn, hammer, forgive.  When I read somebody complain that bsh had stolen DDO I immediately thought that bsh's brand of oversight was probably exactly what a DDO kind of site needed.  I can't say I'm disappointed with the result although it is true that the activity level must increase for this site to be attractive.  It's like moving to a nicer neighborhood where none of the neighbors ever come out. 

Castin
Castin
-->
@keithprosser
It would become increasingly unfair to ban others for violating the CoC while Poly is allowed to spew violations morning, noon, and night.
bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
The ban log question was considered in a MEEP and failed to pass the required threshold to be adopted. I understand it's appeal, but I also understand why someone might reasonably object to it. I think it is important to respect the MEEP process that the community adopted.

I tend to give multiple warnings before bans, even repeat bans. When someone comes back, they have an opportunity to join in the community again without prejudice. If they continue misconduct, consequences will naturally escalate, but they are always given the chance to change their behavior. This applied (and applies) to Poly to the same extent as it does every other user on DDO.

Finally, I do think moderation is generally laissez-faire. Users are almost never banned for their first, second, or even third warnings. I don't usually ban people for individual infractions, but rather usually only when they accumulate numerous infractions. It usually takes somewhere around 20 individual, noteworthy infractions (i.e. 3 warnings) to trigger a first moderation response. To me, that seems fairly lenient. Most reports are never even acted upon because they're judged to be too minor to warrant moderation action or because they were never really violations at all.

If Poly wants to comment on her ban after she returns, she may. I am not going to comment on it beyond what I have already said. 
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
I side with the mods on this and my opinion is the absolute measure of justice.

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Castin
I think poly suffers from an internet version of tourettes or something.  I'd rather she was insulting me than strangers IRL.
Vader
Vader
-->
@oromagi
I don't know much about the Poly ban, so I am not to say whether the ban was good or not.

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Vader
All I know is there is a strike-through on her username.

Vader
Vader
-->
@bsh1
The ban log question was considered in a MEEP and failed to pass the required threshold to be adopted. I understand it's appeal, but I also understand why someone might reasonably object to it. I think it is important to respect the MEEP process that the community adopted.

I think it should be re-meeped. If you are specifically trying to avoid
these cal

out posts
(like discussed), a ban log would be helpful

Finally, I do think moderation is generally laissez-faire. Users are almost never banned for after their first, second, or even third warnings. I don't usually ban people for individual infractions, but rather usually only when they accumulate numerous infractions. It usually takes somewhere around 20 individual, noteworthy infractions (i.e. 3 warnings) to trigger a first moderation response. To me, that seems fairly lenient. Most reports are never even acted upon because they're judged to be too minor to warrant moderation action or because they were never really violations at all.
I do think a 3 strike system is good in some cases and I think that is fair. I think the words and sayings that some people say should be leaned lassiez fair. If not, there should a clarification from what is right or wrong to discuss this.

I believe saying things like "Fuck you little prick," or "Stupid dumbass alert," is not provokable enough for a warn or notice or even an infraction.

I think we should set a session to determine what is warnable and what is not even an infraction so that moderation can be debated

Vader
Vader
-->
@keithprosser
Ik that. I can't decide if it was provoked
bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
-->
@Vader
I think it should be re-meeped.
It has already been MEEP'd twice.

As for clarity, I think the COC is quite clear in what it permits and does not permit, and I try to add further clarity in the warnings I give to and discussions I have with users.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Castin
@bsh1
@Vader
@oromagi
I think banned members spend the time on DDO!

Vader
Vader
-->
@bsh1
--          --
  \_('-')_/
i am not that knowledgeable i guess

----
to be fair, i think it states what is warn/ban, but it never gives true examples or real clarification of what sayings classify besides obvious ones
Castin
Castin
-->
@keithprosser
I think poly suffers from an internet version of tourettes or something.  I'd rather she was insulting me than strangers IRL.
Get out of my head keith.

I've often thought, "Well at least she's letting her hate out on the internet and not on the people around her irl."

But anyway -- of course Poly has little power to seriously hurt anyone. Of course we're all desensitized to her behavior. But you're basically saying you'd like the mods to allow her to break the rules because Poly's just being Poly. Does everyone get that excuse? I wasn't aware that behaving in character allows me to get away with anything. That's a useful piece of information.

If the way you'd like it means everyone is not treated equally, then things shouldn't be the way you'd like it. No offense. Just my two cents.

Poly's right about one thing, though: every time someone gets banned we talk about them while they're not here. I acknowledge my guilt in this. I hang my head in shame.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Castin
Bigot.
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
I knew something was off but I couldn't put my finger on what it was. Now I realize what it was... I haven't been accused of eating babies for days now!
Castin
Castin
-->
@keithprosser
I think banned members spend the time on DDO!
It's like every banned member's first stop. After DART throws them out of bed, DDO's phone starts vibrating in the middle of the night with a text like "... you up?"

Then they go over there and trash DART to vent their feelings. Getting banned is no picnic on the emotions.

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
You're a bigot too.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@keithprosser
I know you mean well but it's just not the same.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
There's only one Poly.
Castin
Castin
-->
@keithprosser
Bigot.
Tard.

I see we are both still ourselves, so we will of course get away with these insults per your loophole. We could probably get away with murder. We just have to do it in a way that's very "us" so we can say the magic words "I was just doing me." You could probably kill someone with prolonged semantic lecturing but I'm not sure what my method would be. Maybe to lock someone in a room with me and tell them bad jokes until they kill themselves.

Vader
Vader
Deez nuts

16 days later

Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
Hypocrite cowards. 
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
Oh, good to have you back PW. Mopac has been trying to tale up the slack on the whole projection game of "anyone that isn't religious must want all religious people to die horrible deaths" but he isn't as good at it as you are.