Vouching for HIckenlooper

Author: oromagi

Total: 11
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
Hickenlooper  announced his candidacy for the presidency today.  I know he does not have much name recognition outside of Colorado and he is certainly not the kind of charismatic controversy machine that the Democratic party seems to think necessary to combat Trump in the general but for people of any party who are looking looking for competent, moderate, rational leadership - Hick is definitely worthy.  For that moderate remnant of the Republican Party who supported Kasich in 2016- note that Hick and Kasich have worked and campaigned together on a number of issues - including healthcare and there remains some real talk about a dual party ticket.  Hick is a sort of Democrat's Kasich.

Hickenlooper was working in Denver as a geologist researching oil shale when Black Monday and Silverado crashed Downtown Denver's economy hard. Vacancy rates in downtown skyscrapers approached 90%.  Hick took his science into craft brewing, opening his first restaurant  and pool hall in the heart of skid row and made it the busiest restaurant in Denver in his first year.  Forming a triumvirate with a local newspaper editor and a bookstore owner, they transformed downtown in the space of years, rejuvenate hundreds of historic, abandoned buildings while leading on major projects like Coors Field, Pepsi Center, Union Station.  Now that first restaurant sits at the heart of an entirely transformed city of young, wealthy  techsters.  He took his successful formula into restaurant consulting and led the microbrewing revolution- opening hundreds of restaurants across the west and getting very rich.  If the Front Range is truly now as many call it the Napa Valley of Beer- Hick can claim more credit for that transformation than anybody else.

When he ran for Mayor, I really thought he was too soft-spoken, too detail oriented.  But in terms of economic growth, Hick proved to be the most successful Mayor the city has ever seen.  Then he did same as a two term Governor.  He handled the three worst natural disasters to hit our state without breaking economic stride.  He opposed legalization of marijuana personally but worked hard to build in build in gently regulated supply chains, price controls and tax structures that are now the envy of less forward-looking states like California. 

His family is rooted in Iowa politics- a cousin was Governor and four term Senator there.  He's certainly not as Green as most Democrats would like- his deepest money support comes out of his old oil industry background.   He's not a Medicare for all kind of guy but he has a lot of ideas about how to bring prices down.  He's believes in Capitalist solutions and has a solid track record on that front.  He's a scientist and an entrepreneur and his leadership style reflects those backgrounds.

Hickenlooper was my boss for a couple of years during the early day of his first brewpub.  I didn't know him well but he was a good boss- a communicator, a forward-thinker, a scientist.  He created a fun, busy, laid back business and fostered deep loyalties from many passionate people.

Does he really have enough mojo to make an popular national candidate?  Probably not.  But for Americans who are tired of the waste and inactivity caused our present polarization, Hickenlooper is a solid centrist deal-maker that genuinely represents the kind of effective executive most Americans say they want.

oromagi
oromagi
oromagi
oromagi
 “Doesn’t seem like moderation is in tune with where Democratic-primary voters are right now,” the “Good Morning America” host George Stephanopoulos said to Hickenlooper on Monday, during an interview. Hickenlooper waved off the concern. “I don’t think voters are interested in labels anymore,” he said. “I think there’s an appetite for people that can get stuff done.”

Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@oromagi
It will be a miracle for any white male to win this years DNC primary.
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Greyparrot
Trump, Obama, Bush, and Clinton were all considered no hope candidates at similar distance from the primaries. US politics are sufficiently unpredictable to humble the best of prognosticators.  Who is the best candidate from any party for 2020 in your estimation?

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@oromagi
I mean there's liking a favorite candidate and then being realistic about who the DNC will ultimately allow to be the candidate due to superdelegates and DNC support. There is no evidence so far that this primary will be any different than the Hillary primary. The outrage over the marginalization of Bernie was not enough to reform anything substantial. Every message from the DNC indicates support for an identity politician.
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Greyparrot
That's a pretty straightforward question who is the best candidate from any party for 2020 in your estimation?  I've seen you've cite more than one website listed on hate group watch site, which leads me to assume you're a Trump guy, right?  Certainly, we know you're no Bernie guy so your motive when talking about the DNC is to promote division rather than decry.

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Greyparrot
What was your opinion of Kasich in 2016?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@oromagi
You're wrong about that. I supported Bernie until Trump won only to put the shaft to the entrenched elites in both parties selling the country out.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@oromagi
Kasich was a thoroughly vetted neocon and a disaster. I can only imagine the wars we would be in now if he was in office with the full support of the republican old guard.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@oromagi
Also as far as I am concerned, the entire DNC is a racist hate group simply for suggesting that all whites should shut up and let POC of color speak.