Alone

Author: Castin

Total: 35
Castin
Debates: 0
Castin
Okay EV, I'm gonna start watching Alone on your recommendation. Any advice about which season to start with? Looks like there are five.

Recap for anyone else: Me and EtrnlVw are survival TV junkies and this is apparently a show about people who have to survive in complete isolation with limited survival equipment.

Isolation definitely does things to the mind. Humans are social animals, for the most part. Too long alone and you start withdrawing into yourself.
Zarroette
Zarroette
-->
@Castin
Recap for anyone else: Me and EtrnlVw are survival TV junkies and this is apparently a show about people who have to survive in complete isolation with limited survival equipment.
So instead of engaging in life by partaking in actual survival (or even just going outside), you'd rather watch other people do it, and thus miss out on life for a vicarious, diluted version of it.

Quite sad.

RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@Zarroette
You have literally no idea what you are talking about. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Castin
1-5 seems logical to me.
Castin
Castin
-->
@RationalMadman
Yeah I'll just go with that.

Hey what's the most isolated you've ever been.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Castin
Psychologically or physically?

I have never ever been totally alone in a survivalist scenario if we include strangers as people that are keeping me 'not alone'. I was always, from even the age of 3, strategic enough that even once as a kid I got lost (like totally lost) in a huge park-like place with a canal and stuff and my parents were panicking hard but I worked out after 3 minutes of realising I'd got lost that I would be better off to not risk kidnapping etc by running straight to the nearest cafe and while it took my parents around an hour to eventually find me my strategy was perfect and my parents congratulated me on how I went about it (I intentionally made it so they'd find me later but in a way that guaranteed no stranger could get at me).

This was always a strong instinct in me, I have that hunger games gene in me and am always ready to at any minute be thrown to the wolves alone. I am certain that I'd fare well in prison even though I'm very weak physically compared to most men. I have an extremely high EQ and IQ that combine to allow me to charm the right people and terrify those who I cannot charm. This combination of traits was not always ideal in how I applied it but it is since around 2 years ago.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
I didn't get lost at 3 like that but I did at 5 the situation I described was when I was 7-8
Zarroette
Zarroette
-->
@RationalMadman
You have literally no idea what you are talking about. 
Just another instance of your arrogance -- you think you know EXACTLY what I know.

No wonder no one respects you on here.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Zarroette
Many do respect me and many hate my guts. Same is true for you. We are very similar in our temperament but different in our thoughts.

Your post was designed to bully the OP and your insult was so stupid I couldn't help but laugh back at your laughing. Casten is free to watch this show and also have 'a life'.
Zarroette
Zarroette
-->
@RationalMadman
Many do respect me and many hate my guts. Same is true for you. We are very similar in our temperament but different in our thoughts.
Most people have respect for me. 

I actually have great control over my temper, whilst you sometimes do. Face it: I'm just a cut above you :)

Your post was designed to bully the OP and your insult was so stupid I couldn't help but laugh back at your laughing. Casten is free to watch this show and also have 'a life'.
Awww wittle bullie :*(

People watch these shows to escape from the reality of their boring lives. She's free to watch it, but it's indicative of her undesirable life.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Zarroette
You're not a cut above me. You're a light-year beneath me. I don't even care if more people have respect for you than for me, I care if those who respect me (which do exist on the site) do so immensely and for the right reasons. 
Zarroette
Zarroette
-->
@RationalMadman
You're not a cut above me. You're a light-year beneath me. I don't even care if more people have respect for you than for me, I care if those who respect me (which do exist on the site) do so immensely and for the right reasons. 
People respect the competent. You're just rationalising your unpopularity, rather than addressing the valid reason you're unpopular.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Zarroette
What's the valid reason I'm unpopular?
Castin
Castin
Psychologically or physically?

I have never ever been totally alone in a survivalist scenario if we include strangers as people that are keeping me 'not alone'. I was always, from even the age of 3, strategic enough that even once as a kid I got lost (like totally lost) in a huge park-like place with a canal and stuff and my parents were panicking hard but I worked out after 3 minutes of realising I'd got lost that I would be better off to not risk kidnapping etc by running straight to the nearest cafe and while it took my parents around an hour to eventually find me my strategy was perfect and my parents congratulated me on how I went about it (I intentionally made it so they'd find me later but in a way that guaranteed no stranger could get at me).

This was always a strong instinct in me, I have that hunger games gene in me and am always ready to at any minute be thrown to the wolves alone. I am certain that I'd fare well in prison even though I'm very weak physically compared to most men. I have an extremely high EQ and IQ that combine to allow me to charm the right people and terrify those who I cannot charm. This combination of traits was not always ideal in how I applied it but it is since around 2 years ago.
I'll go with "either psychologically or physically", and I'll extend the question to anyone in the thread who wants to answer it.

I think periods of mental isolation, where we're completely alone with ourselves, can be defining and consciousness-changing. Part of it, I think, is just that what role you play in a given moment is so often determined by who's in the room. We spend our whole lives reacting to other people. So there's a question of "who are you when no one else is in the room?" or "who are you when no one is watching?"

Anyway thanks for sharing. For a kid, that's staying pretty calm. As always you seem to be your own biggest fan, but I find it kinda entertaining, so I dunno. Carry on.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Castin
I am my own biggest fan for I am the best supporter and best person both at once. This is a unique evolution of narcissism seen in a select few humans who always are so amazing at what they do.
Zarroette
Zarroette
-->
@RationalMadman
You're insanely arrogant, you post stupidly aggressive things, and you've got a stained history of doing so.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Zarroette
Sorry it seemed as if you were describing your transphobic, 'under the skin' intentional trolling-style self.
Zarroette
Zarroette
-->
@RationalMadman
Sorry it seemed as if you were describing your transphobic, 'under the skin' intentional trolling-style self.
You only think it's trolling because you're so irrational in defending trangenderism.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Zarroette
Observe the way you replied to castin in this thread and to me.
Zarroette
Zarroette
-->
@RationalMadman
Observe the way you replied to castin in this thread and to me.
I don't have any tolerance for things which are obviously wrong.

ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@Zarroette
I don't have any tolerance for things which are obviously wrong.
How then do you tolerate yourself?
Castin
Castin
-->
@ethang5
@RationalMadman
Oy. I take it this person has a certain history.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Castin
Why did you @ me to say this?

ethang has a worst history than Zarroette and my history is bad for all the wrong reasons.

I am one of the greatest users of this site's history but not among the top 6 I'd say I'm top seventh.
Castin
Castin
-->
@RationalMadman
Because you as well as ethan seemed to act like you already know Zarroette, and I don't. Also ethan has always treated me nicely and fairly. But I didn't start the thread intending for it to become a personal spitfight. How did we get here.

Lol, who do you consider the top six then?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Castin
1. Whiteflame
2. bsh1
3. bluesteel
4. ShabShoral/BossyBurrito
5. Thett3
6. eSocialBookworm
7. Me
Castin
Castin
-->
@RationalMadman
Wow, I don't know most of the people on that list.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Castin
Then just to be clear person 4 was the same person with 2 different usernames they've used over time and which they still now are equally recognised by it's not a tie between two users.
Castin
Castin
-->
@RationalMadman
Okay. I really need to familiarize myself with some of the old hats from DDO, I never talked to many people outside the religion forum.
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Castin
Oh sweet, you can watch it from the beginning really, they all are entertaining TBH. I've been outa the forum loop for a couple weeks, have you watched any yet? sorry I missed your topic! I thought you might like it because of the individual aspect rather than the drama created by several cast members, I like it because it takes you to the core of man when they have no distractions. Almost every one of the contestants get "spiritual" by the end of the session, it's interesting. 
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
@ Zarroette That's quite a sad interpretation really you have in your first post (not sure why it won't let me respond to your name), do you also avoid listening to music and studying subjects you really enjoy because you are not physically participating in it? how does it follow that it is sad and that someone would not participate in survival themselves just because they watch a survival show? ever heard of a non sequitur? makes no sense, people watch what they find interesting, doesn't mean they have no interest in trying it. Even if, someone wishes to watch it only and not participate what's the problem with that?