Outplayz' questions to an atheist.

Author: keithprosser

Total: 6
keithprosser
Debates: 0
keithprosser
1 How are you certain that no gods exist? 
2 Do you believe this is the only reality? Basically, that this is the only universe and there are no other universes? Again, how are you certain? 
3 Do you believe aliens exist? 
4 Do you believe human intelligence is the only type of intelligence that has ever existed? Basically, that humans are the first entities that exhibit this type of intelligence, consciousness, sentience? 
i think they are good questions.

1 - very certain.  As a sciencey type I should really say "No, because we can't be certain of anything".   But on that basis the answer to every question 'are you certain X?' is no, so there's no point asking.  So i'm as certain no gods exists as i am certain of anything.  About as certain as the sun will rise tomorrow, a lot more certain than I am brexit is a good idea. 

2  I read pop-sci.  I tend to go with whatever seems most mainstream amongst proper scientists, which (at 7/3/19) is that there are multiple universes. I don't have strong views about it.

3 Lots of uncertainty here.  my gut tells it's 50:50 for bacterial life in the solar system.  Intelligent aliens exist somwhere, but probably itoo far away to matter.  I'm not expecting the light-speed barrier to be broken and space is very, very big.

4 i think we humans over-estimate our uniqueness.   I think the differences between human brains and animal brains is mostly in degree, not kind.

Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
Yeah, I actually agree that these are good questions. Not difficult to answer but potentially thought provoking if it turns out that I am right about where he is going with it.
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@keithprosser
The first question was "how are you certain" not "how certain are you".

I think that would change your answer.

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Mopac
That's not unreasonable.   You mean as in 'why am I certain'.

So why am I certain there's no god?

It's largely because I'm an opinonated bigot who won't listen to reason.  Why do you think I'm certain?
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@keithprosser
You said it.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@keithprosser
So i'm as certain no gods exists as i am certain of anything.

Well if you understood and knew anything at all, these ancient so called "gods" - according to those that were there - were flesh and blood beings just like you and me. The difference seems to be that they were superior in knowledge to those ancient peoples of the time. But weren't of course superior, to a jumped up narcissistic, egotistical superior know it all, such as yourself.