Quebec/English in Quebec

Author: Alec

Total: 24
Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
Should English be allowed in Quebec?  Should Quebec be it's own country?  Please comment below.
ResurgetExFavilla
Debates: 0
ResurgetExFavilla
-->
@Alec
Purge the filthy anglos.
Alec
Alec
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
I think Quebec should be assimilated to be more like the rest of Canada from a linguistic standpoint.  This prevents separatist movements and unifies Canada more.
ResurgetExFavilla
ResurgetExFavilla
-->
@Alec
I think Quebec should be assimilated to be more like the rest of Canada from a linguistic standpoint.  This prevents separatist movements and unifies Canada more.
I think that the Québécois should tie bags of cement to the anglophones' ankles and unceremoniously dump them in le Golfe du Saint-Laurent. This prevents trashy anglos from ruining another corner of God's beautiful earth.

Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Alec
Diversity is strength.
Alec
Alec
-->
@Greyparrot
Diversity causes division.  That's why many in Quebec want independence.
Alec
Alec
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
Wishing death upon someone for speaking a different language could get you reported.
ResurgetExFavilla
ResurgetExFavilla
-->
@Alec
I'm confused, 'someone' implies humanity.
Alec
Alec
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
The someone I was referring to were the anglophones in Montreal.  Wishing death upon people for being anglophones is poor conduct.  I am an anglophone.  I don't want to be (dumped in le Golfe du Saint-Laurent.)
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Greyparrot
he didn't get your sarcasm but I did lol.  Quebec imo has unintentionally immunized itself from "refugees" settling there by maintaining their own language etc.
Alec
Alec
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
I think Quebec will still receive refugees from countries that France conquered like Morocco since they have french influence.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Alec
good point, though from what I have heard in the past etc Quebec is pretty socially tight as a state/region whatever.  They are kind of their own entity.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Quebec is far more nationalist than Canada.
dustryder
Debates: 5
dustryder
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
he didn't get your sarcasm but I did lol.  Quebec imo has unintentionally immunized itself from "refugees" settling there by maintaining their own language etc.
I mean.. refugees still need to learn a language. Needing to learn French instead of English doesn't seem like a major barrier.

In anycase, you can get by fine in many parts of Quebec being monolingual in English anyway

IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
Yeah, vive le francais!!

Likewise, California should get rid of English, it's useless. Spanish should be the official language instead and then California can get its independence once and for all.

Alec
Alec
-->
@IlDiavolo
Likewise, California should get rid of English, it's useless.
Most people in California are monolingual English speakers.

Spanish should be the official language instead and then California can get its independence once and for all.
Bad idea.  California should not get independence.  Those who do not know English in California or anywhere in the United States should get assimilated in classes they or their parents directly pay for or get deported.
ResurgetExFavilla
ResurgetExFavilla
-->
@Alec
Then stay in the rest of Canada. You know, the part that English people genocided their way into holding. Leave the French people in peace on the tiny bit of land that your shitty ancestors didn't pillage them out of.
Alec
Alec
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
You know, the part that English people genocided their way into holding.
Although they outnumbered the French, genocide was rare or nonexistent, 

Leave the French people in peace on the tiny bit of land that your shitty ancestors didn't pillage them out of.
If we don't assimilate them, then they will want to break away to form their own country.  
ResurgetExFavilla
ResurgetExFavilla
-->
@Alec
You know, the part that English people genocided their way into holding.
Although they outnumbered the French, genocide was rare or nonexistent,
Leave the French people in peace on the tiny bit of land that your shitty ancestors didn't pillage them out of.
If we don't assimilate them, then they will want to break away to form their own country.  
Good, they should! So should the natives, since you seem so determined to bulldoze the few square feet of land they have left to build another shitty pipeline.
Alec
Alec
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
That genocide happened a long time ago and no present day Canadian participated in it.  I don't think cultural genocide/assimilation should be genocide because no one is supposed to die in it.

Good, they should! So should the natives, since you seem so determined to bulldoze the few square feet of land they have left to build another shitty pipeline.
Separatist movements may cause a war, which causes death, and is bad for the unity of Canada.  Assimilation on the other hand, would help the country out a lot.  How is culture even worth having around if it can cause separatist movements?
ResurgetExFavilla
ResurgetExFavilla
-->
@Alec
That genocide happened a long time ago and no present day Canadian participated in it.  I don't think cultural genocide/assimilation should be genocide because no one is supposed to die in it.
What you think is irrelevant. By the definition of the word genocide is not necessarily violent on the individual level, as it's a form of collective obliteration.

Separatist movements may cause a war, which causes death, and is bad for the unity of Canada. Assimilation on the other hand, would help the country out a lot.
So we can agree that separatist movements are better?

How is culture even worth having around if it can cause separatist movements?
I wonder why people on every side of the spectrum want to round so-called 'conservatives' up and put them in camps? It's inexplicable. It will be a mystery forever.
Alec
Alec
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
When did I say that?

What you think is irrelevant.
So by your definition, the US commits this not by killing anyone, but by merely encouraging people to assimilate?  If we all had our own language, there would be many cultures.  But it would be impossible to communicate.

7 days later

ResurgetExFavilla
ResurgetExFavilla
-->
@Alec
When did I say that?
You listed positive consequences, so I just assumed.

What you think is irrelevant.
So by your definition, the US commits this not by killing anyone, but by merely encouraging people to assimilate?  If we all had our own language, there would be many cultures.  But it would be impossible to communicate.
This is why the Swiss communicate entirely through sign language. Since it's impossible to learn two languages.

Alec
Alec
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
Since it's impossible to learn two languages.
Unless your born in a bilingual household, it is almost impossible to learn a second language.  I hope we have culture unification in the future.