What is the difference between philosophy and religion?

Author: Alec

Total: 22
Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
They are very similar.  Also 4600th philosophy post right here.
secularmerlin
Debates: 0
secularmerlin
-->
@Alec
I'm not sure that they are in fact very similar. I think part of the problem of separating the two comes from the fact that religions tend to have an accompanying philosophy. I would say that the difference is that a religion is a collection of dogmatic beliefs and mandates while a phylosophy is just a way of approaching reality.
mustardness
mustardness
-->
@secularmerlin
Religion is a tool box for everyday life-mechanics and has a moral integrity set.

Philosophy is bubble gum for the mind to ponder and may appear to be chaotic random, disorderly mess, at times.

Scientific methodology puts in order the facts of our experiences.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@mustardness
That may be the clearest post I've ever gotten from this account. Who are you and what have you done with the real ebuc?
mustardness
mustardness
-->
@secularmerlin
That may be the clearest post I've ever gotten from this account. Who are you and what have you done with the real ebuc?
Clarity is in the eye of the beholder. Ive always been available to any who need assistance in finding clarity where they see none.

SM, this following may relate to your problems finding clarity with any of my comments.

......"The only thing that interferes --impediment-- with my learning is my education"....A Einstein....

I think you, you and others, will have to place to the side, all of your preconditioning to allow in a more wholistically comprehensive set of scenarios as related to Uni-V-erse and all of its locally integral parts.

mustardness
mustardness
Clarity can reside in the observer//beholder as much the presenter//source.

I think your and others problem with more comprehensive wholistic thinking,  may stem from the following.

......"The only thing that interferes ---impediment--  with my learning is my education"....A Einstein....

One has to drop the ego and precondition beliefs.  Become and open vessel on a stream of consciousness, that, goes places you've never been before or places you've been, missed the underlying nature of the scenery.

I'm an explorer who 'dares to be naive'.  Fuller quote "dare to be naive".

I truly desire to know truth via the putting in order the facts of my experience, and the speculation ---extrapolate outward---   what may stem from those experiences or be associated with those experiences.

I forget who it was that once said I was a master of association.

'Science is the putting in order the facts of our experiences', I believe, is a Fuller quote, but he may have been paraphrasing the best definition he had heard of what science is. 
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@mustardness
It doesn't matter who said it. Arguments stand or fall on their own wouldn't you agree ?
mustardness
mustardness
It doesn't matter who said it. Arguments stand or fall on their own wouldn't you agree ?
Sure, Please share where your above thought relates directly to any of my recent comments here or elsewhere.

So I will try my last reply once again, and see if you have a worthy relationship to it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Clarity can reside in the observer//beholder as much the presenter//source.

I think your and others problem with more comprehensive wholistic thinking,  may stem from the following.

......"The only thing that interferes ---impediment--  with my learning is my education"....A Einstein....

One has to drop the ego and precondition beliefs.  Become and open vessel on a stream of consciousness, that, goes places you've never been before or places you've been, missed the underlying nature of the scenery.

I'm an explorer who 'dares to be naive'.  Fuller quote "dare to be naive".

I truly desire to know truth via the putting in order the facts of my experience, and the speculation ---extrapolate outward---   what may stem from those experiences or be associated with those experiences.

I forget who it was that once said I was a master of association.

Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
God/gods. 
mustardness
mustardness
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
"G " od aka "U " niverse is the most cosmically inclusive { contains } set;

......1} God//Universe { Uni-V-erse }

...........1a} local god//local universe{ me-verse or i-verse }

"U " niverse > Universe > universe > I-verse < you-verse < we-verse < them-verse

Expanded, comprehensive, wholistic thinking contains { inclusive }  the more contracted, narrow minded thinking.

The eternally existent, macro-infinite non-occupied SPACE, does not contain the finite, occupied space integrity  Uni-V-erse.

The eternally existent, macro-infinite non-occupied SPACE, embraces//surrounds the eternally existent, finite, occupied space integrity , Uni-V-erse.

eternally existent, macro-infinite non-occupied SPACE is shaped by, the outer perimeters of the eternally existent, finite, occupied space integrity, Uni-V-erse.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@mustardness
This has nothing to do with anything. 
mustardness
mustardness
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
This has nothing to do with anything. 
Sure PW,  just keep allowing your ego to tell yourself that.

Meanwhile, those who can place their ego to the side, know that my comments have to do with everything.

That you are stuck at the diametric, other end of where I begin, is not a surprise to any who follow rational, logical common sense pathways of thought.

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@mustardness
Your pathos is not my problem 
Alec
Alec
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Good roast.
mustardness
mustardness
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Your pathos is not my problem
Your ego, like may here at DArt and Dart,  is in fear of truth.

When the ego is in fear of truth,  it creates mental blockage to truth, to protect itself.

Ego is the greatest danger to humanity.

Ego is a double edged sword, just as oxygen is. Oxygen { unstable } is necessary, but too much will burn the lungs

Ego { unstable } seeks to stabilize itself in various ways.

1} finding integral systemic and structural truths as pathway to self-estem and compentency

2} removing { blocking } all truths that degrade ones ego { self esteem }.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Alec
You're allowed to kill for a religion.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@mustardness
You forgot Trumpanzee.

Alec
Alec
-->
@keithprosser
It's illegal to kill for a religion in the west.
WyseGui
WyseGui
I think philosophy sort of acknowledges as discussion for the sake of knowledge.Religious discussion is usually for the sake of religious belief.
mustardness
mustardness
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
You forgot Trumpanzee.
As always, your insignificant commentary  is irrelevant truth. Typical of Hyrbid-Franken-Trumpanzee narcissism

Your ego, like many here at DArt and Dart,  is in fear of truth.

When the ego is in fear of truth,  it creates mental blockage to truth, to protect itself.

Ego is the greatest danger to humanity.

Ego is a double edged sword, just as oxygen is. Oxygen { unstable and seeks to stabilize itself } is necessary, but too much will burn the lungs

Ego { unstable } seeks to stabilize itself in various ways.

1} finding integral systemic and structural truths as pathway to self-estem and compentency

2} removing { blocking } all truths that degrade ones ego { self esteem }.

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@mustardness
Blah, blah, blah.
mustardness
mustardness
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Blah, blah, blah.
Your dull, monotone reply to truth, is not surprising to rational, logical common sense and omini-comprehensive, wholistic considerations.