The music industry and the #MeToo movement

Author: Castin

Total: 23
Castin
Debates: 0
Castin
I've been hearing people say that the music industry has been (unfairly) untouched by the #MeToo movement. Agree/disagree?
Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
-->
@Castin
Innocent until proven guilty.  If the liberals won't punish a murderer without proof, they also shouldn't punish rapists without proof.
Castin
Castin
-->
@Alec
I don't understand the relationship between your post and my OP.
Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
-->
@Castin
The Me Too movement wants people to listen solely to women who claim to have been raped.  They might be true.  If true, the rapists deserve life imprisonment.  But strong evidence is needed for these accusations to be taken seriously.

I don't agree nor disagree with women who claim to be raped.  I believe the facts and evidence(Source The amazing Lucas).
Tejretics
Debates: 7
Tejretics
-->
@Alec
Innocent until proven guilty.  If the liberals won't punish a murderer without proof, they also shouldn't punish rapists without proof.
Fair enough, but presumably the punishment of a reasonably wealthy person who has been accused of sexual assault being relegated to a somewhat lower-paying job has a lower standard of proof than someone being tried of sexual assault in a court of law. Punishment should be proportional to how sure we are that someone committed sexual assault or other crimes for which accusations are often credible, I think, is the stance of most #MeToo activists. In general, the movement accepts the need for some due process. 

In cases where that due process wasn't possible, different people try to make different probabilistic estimations of an incident occurring and make judgments based on that. It's not perfect and it's a very utilitarian way of looking at things (i.e., it is willing to accept a few unjust outcomes in the process of promoting the greatest good for the greatest number), but it probably isn't equivalent to sending someone to prison without evidence. 

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
*takes a deep breath*

Castin
Castin
-->
@Alec
The Me Too movement wants people to listen solely to women who claim to have been raped.  They might be true.  If true, the rapists deserve life imprisonment.  But strong evidence is needed for these accusations to be taken seriously.

I don't agree nor disagree with women who claim to be raped.  I believe the facts and evidence(Source The amazing Lucas).
Do you understand that the OP is not "What do you think of the MeToo movement?"

KingArthur
Debates: 1
KingArthur
I think music lyrics definitely get a pass. A lot of music objectifies women and treats them like conquests, sex objects and things to be left alone and picked up at the singer's leisure. This has been going on for decades and has skated under the radar of the MeToo movement so far. 

Country, Hip Hop and Rap are all major offenders in this area. 

RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
-->
@KingArthur
MeToo refers to actual sexual molesting from high ranking bastards like Kevin Spacey to people (he actually preyed on males) that they feel like preying upon. It is not words, you Conservative liar about genuine SJWs.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@KingArthur
Just a side-note that triggered me as I'm a rap expert... Hip Hop is the overall genre. Rap is a subset of it. This is why 'mumble rap' is wrongly named. People like Lil Pump are Hip Hop but they are not Rap (some idiotic 'real rap' fans say "he's only rap but not hip hop" what they mean is the total and utter opposite of what they say). Hip Hop has four subsets:

1. OG Gangsta Rap - this is the most 'hip hop' genre (50 Cent, old-school Lil Wayne, Tupac, Biggie Smalls, Nas)
2. Lyrical-mastery Rap - this is actually the only subgenre that is 'rap' but the others have stupid names that include 'rap' wrongly (Eminem, Vinnie Paz, Tech N9ne, old-school MGK)
3. Singsong non-tryhard rap (New-age Lil Wayne, G-Eazy, Nicki Minaj when she's not trying but she's a lyrical rapper when she tries, Russ)
4. Grime - Underground British Gangsta-styled rap that became an 'in between' of the first three over time (Wiley, Devlin, Bugzy Malone, Skepta)
5. Mumble Rap (Lil Pump, Lil Xan, Lil Uzi Vert, Tekashi 6ix9ine)

When you say 'hiphop and rap' you mean 'hiphop' altogether, this includes rap.
Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
As my pastor once said on the matter (and I paraphrase), "All they ever make are dirty movies (or in this case music) and everyone's shocked when they act inappropriately in real life? Seriously?"
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Swagnarok
Shut up, please. MJ the fucking paedo didn't make perverted music at all, in fact most abusers of women are rock n roll guys or metalheads and their music isn't like proper Rap at all.

Getting a release of dominance and masculinity through lyrics is an outlet that makes you not need to abuse people IRL as much. Try again with your logic.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Swagnarok
Xxxtentacion didn't make proper Rap, he is just a coward. Chris brown made emotional singsong type rap stuff. It wasn't perverted or aggressive that much.

Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@Castin
It is unwise to expect fairness from a mob. 

13 days later

Stephen
Stephen
I find it amazing that the ' all of a sudden' virtue signalers such a Streep and Winfrey haven't been taken to task for their silence ( they knew it was going on) and their hypocrisy.
Castin
Castin
-->
@Snoopy
Yes, but this still doesn't explain the discrepancy.

Castin
Castin
-->
@KingArthur
I think music lyrics definitely get a pass. A lot of music objectifies women and treats them like conquests, sex objects and things to be left alone and picked up at the singer's leisure. This has been going on for decades and has skated under the radar of the MeToo movement so far. 

Country, Hip Hop and Rap are all major offenders in this area. 
Mere lyrics should never be MeToo'd. Only acts of sexual abuse should be MeToo'd. But I take it you think that kind of music breeds a culture of misogyny and objectification that makes fertile ground for sex abuse?

Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@Castin
Yes, but this still doesn't explain the discrepancy.

Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@Castin
Maybe spoiled teenagers want the abuse nowadays and its just too hot right now.  Who's to say?  This movement isn't capable of addressing the underlying issues.  If someone or something is influencing it that would be interesting to me, but I think I would lose my mind trying to make sense of it. 

The best you can do is to think of the work you contribute financially and practically too, and be true to yourself and others.  A successful initiative would have a common moral standing, contrasted from oppositional 'justice', as well as an understanding of industry structure.

Vader
Vader
I wrote an entire school article of why the MeToo movement violates the fifth ammendment right of Innonce until proven guilty

Vader
Vader
MeToo is predicated off the fact that we should instantly believe the women and shame the men due to their egotistic sexism from the past. They relate men to the 1700s men, which modern men DO NOT do. We punish those scum. I have research saying that 19% of cases called in by the LAPD of rape were either A)False or B)Found Not Guilty

I think they should have double sentencing if found not guilty and there is enough to prove that SHE NEVER got raped

18 days later

Pinkfreud08
Debates: 17
Pinkfreud08
Why can't everyone just get along tbh? 

12 days later

WyseGui
WyseGui
-->
@KingArthur
Its going to be hard to make this argument in music. Even if it does objectify woman, they like it. The ones in the videos the ones listening to it in the clubs, they all for it.