Star Wars OT movies are better than the movies after.

Author: Earth

Total: 43
Earth
Debates: 4
Earth
Discuss. 
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
I think it's hard if you grew up with the OT to not favor them. I like the low key effects before the edit later. I like the story and the flow of the movies. I will say that Rogue One was amazing. I loved the pace, action and story line. 
Earth
Earth
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
I watched RoTS when I was young, but I prefer the OT. I think the PT made some questionable choices and it shows. Still good movies though.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
I think the worse part of the movies is Darth Vader's back story. I really felt like they made him a spoiled, whiny brat and not an evil sociopath until the very end. 
EtrnlVw
Debates: 0
EtrnlVw
-->
@Earth
If it wasn't for Star Wars episode 1 "The Phantom Menace" I would agree but that movie was bad azz.
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
https://www.stargazersworld.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/swpmpicture.jpg
Earth
Earth
-->
@EtrnlVw
TPM was bad azz? Could you explain why?

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Earth
Of course! it was a great movie, great story, had an excellent villain and one of my favorite characters in a movie Qui-Gon-Jinn.....played by Liam Neeson, was there any reason you did not like the movie?
Earth
Earth
-->
@EtrnlVw
Actually, I thought Maul was the best PT villain, so no objection there.

I just thought it was a little boring and Anakin's and Padme's relationship was a touch creepy.
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Earth
LOL, I didn't notice. I'm not objecting that the OT was better, just that particular movie was worthy of the older ones. Maybe you should watch it again, it's pretty cool.
Smithereens
Debates: 2
Smithereens
can we talk about Rian Johnson, the unappreciated genius?
Earth
Earth
-->
@Smithereens
Johnson is a genius?
Smithereens
Smithereens
-->
@Earth
Johnson is a genius?

It takes a staggeringly high IQ to understand his plot concepts, which means his thinking is several orders of magnitude greater than our own.
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@Smithereens
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty
Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
As a person who grew up exposed more to the Prequel rather than Original Trilogy, I would disagree with that (I would just like to add also that Jar Jar Binks was not nearly enough to ruin an entire three movies).
Earth
Earth
-->
@Swagnarok
Meh, I'm mostly shitposting, but Jar Jar is the Ewoks, but over three movies.
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
I did hate Jar Jar Binks though lol
RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
The only movie of the 6 I thought was terribly done was the first one made (the fourth in the storyline) etc. So no, I don't agree.

The best 'three' or 'batch' I agree is not this new nonsense with Kylo Ren etc. that's far too little story and far too much action. The best were the second-made trilogy (first in the storyline).

For me, the second one (the one where dooku cuts Anakin's arm etc) was so phenomenal at showing the corrupt side of the Jedis. In all movies other than the Clone Wars, it's never EVER made apparent that the Jedis are the original tyrants and oligarchs and that the term 'rebel' for the 'other side' in later movies is so incredibly Ironic. 

Jedis are fundamentally Sharia Law and the Ottoman Empire in ethos but an alternate version where impregnating is outlawed etc as they are able to recruit.

Sith are fundamentally Stalin's Communism combined with some anarcho-communist idealists among them (Anakin always was one deep down and this is what inspired him to turn on Palpatine in the end).
Castin
Castin
Padme and Anakin's romance was cringeworthy for me. All his tantrums and creepy leering.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
Attack of the Clones not clone wars** also i meant the side of luke skywalker etc by 'other side' and meant relative to the new regime
Earth
Earth
-->
@Castin
I'm suprised the Jedi let Anakin within 500 feet of Padme.

88 days later

Aporia
Aporia
-->
@Castin
Agreed. I think one of the main problems with the prequels was that they coukdnt distinguish between presenting us with a flawed character and just giving us an unpleasant, whiney shit. Anakin should have been flawed but good underneath. Instead they just made him a dumb brat which took away some of the emotional payoff when he finally turns in ep 3.
Aporia
Aporia
-->
@Earth
I think Jar Jar isnt even in the top 10 worst things wrong with the prequels. Fight me irl!
Castin
Castin
-->
@Aporia
Agreed. I think one of the main problems with the prequels was that they coukdnt distinguish between presenting us with a flawed character and just giving us an unpleasant, whiney shit. Anakin should have been flawed but good underneath. Instead they just made him a dumb brat which took away some of the emotional payoff when he finally turns in ep 3.
Oh my god yes.

It seems like a mistake any good writer would have spotted. It's a mystery to me how that script got past final edit like that.
Aporia
Aporia
-->
@Castin
Id venture to guess that Lucas had enough creative control over the final version to get away with it. Say what you will about the new SW films but theyre much more responsive to genuine criticism than the studio was with Lucas at ths helm.
Swagnarok
Swagnarok
-->
@Aporia
Good Gott no, the new Trilogy is so incredibly generic and uncreative that it's almost enough to make my eyes bleed. You can criticize how kiddish the prequels were, but they were neither bland nor unimaginative.
Swagnarok
Swagnarok
The whole point of the prequel trilogy was that, in the aftermath of the smash hit that was the Original (1977-1983), people wanted more. So the Prequel was designed as supplementary material. It does this brilliantly, comparable to what the Mormon Canon was to the Bible. But the Sequel Trilogy is something else: it's a bunch of shameless Hollywood industrialists wanting to make a quick buck off the nostalgia of neckbearded Millennial fanboys and middle aged moms. It adds nothing, since Star Wars was already a complete story: the new storyline had to be dang good to justify it being added to the timeline, and it failed, because it had no substance befitting a living canon. It's the exact same kind of abomination that was Pokemon Go.
Ben11
Debates: 3
Ben11
I think the movies that came after the OT were good, but the OT is better.

55 days later

oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
I have not seen Solo.

my ranking:

Empire Strikes Back
Rogue One
New Hope
Last Jedi
Revenge of the Sith
Force Awakens
Attack of the Clones
Phantom Menace
Return of the Jedi, which y'know, I still love it, I'll definitely watch it again.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@oromagi
My ranking

AotC
ESB
RotS
RotJ

rest are scumbag movie