Theism vs. Atheism debate

Author: Fallaneze

Total: 540
Fallaneze
Debates: 0
Fallaneze
Anyone up for debating your beliefs about the existence of God?

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
Which god(s)?
Fallaneze
Fallaneze
-->
@secularmerlin
"God" in the general sense meaning "prime, eternal consciousness and creator of the universe."
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Fallaneze
I see no way to prove or disprove deism.
Fallaneze
Fallaneze
-->
@secularmerlin
What do you mean by "prove"?

You can "prove" something mathematically. You can "prove" something scientifically. You can "prove" something in court. 

In my view, "proving" whether God exists or not is setting an artificially high threshold of evidence. All we should concern ourselves with is whether it is more rational to believe God does or doesn't exist. That's it.

So how do we determine which belief is more rational? That wholly depends on the preponderance of evidence. Evidence is information indicating whether a claim is true or untrue. If the evidence weighs in favor of the claim, it's more rational to believe the claim. If the evidence weighs against the claim, it's more rational to disbelieve the claim. If we are unable to attain any information to indicate whether God does or doesn't exist, or if the evidence is exactly equal for and against, then we simply withhold belief and can't make a determination of which belief is more rational.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Fallaneze
That wholly depends on the preponderance of evidence.
I see no way to provide a preponderance of evidence for or against deism.
if the evidence is exactly equal for and against, then we simply withhold belief and can't make a determination of which belief is more rational.
I tend to withhold belief in the absence of sufficient evidence.
Fallaneze
Fallaneze
-->
@secularmerlin
So you have no information indicating whether God, as defined, does or does not exist? And to clarify, you're saying that neither belief nor disbelief in the existence of God are more rational in comparison to each other?
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Fallaneze
Why don't we look at another issue in which there is no preponderance of evidence for or against the prospect of.

Let's say alien abduction. Would you say that neither belief not disbelief in alien abduction is more rational?

Fallaneze
Fallaneze
-->
@secularmerlin
I want to stay on track but I will say this: there is evidence against alien abductions. This is why, as you imply, disbelief in alien abductions is the more rational stance. 

Evidence, defined in post #5, means: "information indicating whether a claim is true or untrue." Without getting sidetracked too much, we have inductive evidence against alien abductions. Our observed absence of these occurrences warrant disbelief in the claim.

Are we using the same definition of "evidence"? 

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Fallaneze
Our observed absence of these occurrences warrant disbelief in the claim.
This is exactly my stance on god(s)
Are we using the same definition of "evidence"? 
I'm not certain but we almost certainly differ on what constitutes sufficient evidence.
Fallaneze
Fallaneze
-->
@secularmerlin
We need to agree on a defintion of evidence before proceeding. This is the definition I am using:

"information indicating whether a claim is true or untrue."

I defined "God" as "prime, eternal consciousness and creator of the universe."

Aliens, alien aircraft, and abductions are all posited to be material entities that interact with earth's population and are therefore subject to observation. A "prime, eternal consciousness and creator of the universe" is not. Accordingly, empirical observations gets us nowhere when applied to the existence of God. This is why logic and reason must provide us with the evidence in this instance.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Fallaneze
information indicating whether a claim is true or untrue."
I'm fine with this definition but
If this is true
A "prime, eternal consciousness and creator of the universe" is not (subject to observation)
Then we would not expect to have any information indicating whether or not such a being exists. How then do we determine if we are in a universe with no information indicating the existence of a deity because the deity in question is unobservable or if we are in a universe with no information indicating the existence of a deity because no deity is present?
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@secularmerlin
@Fallaneze
If causality holds then the universe has a cause, and you can call that cause god if you like(ie I can't stop you!), but you can't logically infert that first-cause-god to the god of any particular religion.

Or causality is a lot more complicated than it appears and we have yet to fathom wtf was going on the origin of the universe but it was nothing like any god

I favour the latter.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Fallaneze
Aliens, alien aircraft, and abductions are all posited to be material entities that interact with earth's population and are therefore subject to observation.
Why would we necessarily expect an alien race advanced enough to cross interstellar distances would be subject to observation if they chose to hide their presence from us?

In that case how do we determine if we are in a universe with no information indicating the existence of advanced aliens because the aliens in question are unobservable or if we are in a universe with no information indicating the existence of advanced aliens because no aliens are present?
Fallaneze
Fallaneze
-->
@secularmerlin
Good, we agree on the definition of evidence.

Knowledge can be obtained rationally and empirically. For evaluating non-empirical claims, like the existence of God, we need to rely on rationalism. We can't evaluate the claim empirically. Since evidence is defined as information indicating whether a claim is true or untrue, we need to identify any evidence that can be obtained rationally. That's where we'll pick up.

I don't want the aliens example to derail the thread but it depends on the definition of alien being used and the scenario presented. You had mentioned alleged cases of alien abduction, not the mere existence of an advanced alien race.

3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Fallaneze
All we should concern ourselves with is whether it is more rational to believe God does or doesn't exist. That's it.
Deism is functionally identical to Atheism.

Atheism =/= Adeism.

Your burden of proof has absolutely nothing to do with Deism.

Your burden of proof has absolutely everything to do with Theism.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Fallaneze
One cannot obtain empirical knowledge of something for which there is no evidence even if we would not expect to see evidence.
Fallaneze
Fallaneze
-->
@secularmerlin
I agree and that is why logic must be used when evaluating non-empirical truth claims such as the existence of God. 
WyseGui
WyseGui
Theists should really stay away from these sort of debates
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Fallaneze
All we should concern ourselves with is whether it is more rational to believe God does or doesn't exist. That's it.
How do we measure/compare how rational it is?

Fallaneze
Fallaneze
-->
@keithprosser
After determining the weight of the evidence for and against the claim, it's more rational to believe the claim if the evidence is more for it than against it, and it's more rational to disbelieve the claim if there's more evidence against it than for it.
Fallaneze
Fallaneze
-->
@WyseGui
Why?
Fallaneze
Fallaneze
-->
@nagisa3
How do you define "provable"? And is the claim that "all claims are improvable" itself improvable?
Fallaneze
Fallaneze
-->
@3RU7AL
Depends entirely on how you define theism.

"Theism is broadly defined as the belief in the existence of the Supreme Being or deities.

Atheism is commonly understood as rejection of theism in the broadest sense of theism, i.e. the rejection of belief in God or gods."

I've gone into a bit more of the specifics behind what I mean by "Supreme Being" (prime, eternal consciousness and creator of the universe.)

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Fallaneze
Before we go any further we do agree there is a difference between some evidence and sufficient evidence do we not?

Fallaneze
Fallaneze
-->
@secularmerlin
Yes. 
Fallaneze
Fallaneze
-->
@nagisa3
I don't see how knowledge is possible unless we assume the 3 fundamental laws of logic are invariant and universal. In any logical framework the framework and consistency must be equal to itself. In order for consistency to have any meaning, A must = A. 

I'd examine the differences in explanatory power between a God versus no God world and see which one ours best resembles.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Fallaneze
Do we further agree that no amount of evidence short of sufficient justifies belief?
Fallaneze
Fallaneze
-->
@secularmerlin
Yes. "Sufficient" evidence is the threshold for rationally warranted belief. A belief is rationally warranted when the preponderance of the evidence weighs in favor of the claim. 
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Fallaneze
As long as it understood that no actual metric or specific criteria for 'sufficiency' or 'preponderance' exists.
Anything short of absolute proof leaves room for doubt..