Comic strip debate lessons

Author: Barney

Total: 6
Barney
Debates: 50
Barney
Thought rather than PMing these, I'd share them in a thread for the enjoyment of all.

Others are if course welcome to add their own favorites.

Barney
Barney
Trust me, if you haven't read that last one, read it. I guarantee your mind will be blown.

ArgentTongue
Debates: 0
ArgentTongue
-->
@Barney
That backfire effect article was extremely interesting. Thank you for posting that.
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@Barney
@ArgentTongue
Whether you guys believe it or not, I believe I am immune to this barometer "backfire" effect and I noticed as a child that this was linked both to my superior intellect as much as to my Asperger's Syndrome (high functioning autism with more ability to speak in public being the differentiating factor from medium-to-low functioning autism, even if delayed in early life this solely refers to the adolescent and adult ability to speak, not early childhood but if the child learned to speak much faster than most they definitely are high functioning and the term Asperger's Syndrome has been officially terminated as not only did they realise it literally was identical to high functioning autism but that Dr. Hans Asperger began his research under the Nazi regime, for the Nazis even though he finalised it after).

I am not saying that all intelligent or all autistic people who are high functioning have this immunity, I am saying somehow in me the mix of the two is such that I was immune to it and it drove my parents and peers very irritable when I would ask 'why' for all beliefs already from the age of 3 upwards. I was not asking as a habit at all and shocked my parents when at the age of four I was already counter-arguing their orders with 'but you're wrong, I don't have to do it this way or this time, I can do it this way, this time or even not do it at all and achieve the end result anyway.' type arguments.

It both annoyed them and entertained them, I think that it definitely irritated my father as he's more of 'come on, let's do it and shut up about it' type of person than I am and my peers and even some teachers got so severely triggered by this (it wasn't always 'why' it changed into intelligent counterarguments to sometimes core syllabus teachings, so I was not even able to be shut up with it being irrelevant but them being stammered in the ability to explain why I was wrong or they were right). 

One example of this was in geography, where it took a bully of mine laughing at me to help the teacher to keep the lesson going. It was ecology and I asked calmly during it why exactly the environment designed us, who are parts of the ecology and environment, to destroy it. I realised this would trigger people who believed in free will but also trigger the teacher who had to preach that it was against nature to fight it and that we were enemies of the Earth by doing what we're doing to it. I found it even more amusing because at first the guy who liked to verbally bully me said 'well duh, we chose to do that it didn't design us to.' and I replied 'it designed us to choose to do it as it designed our brains.' this was where the teacher's expression changed and where they had to laugh me into silence but i did notice a few of them actually realised how legit my argument was and instead of being angry or laughing were genuinely contemplating it. Unfortunately I was only in the 14-15 age-group and there's no way most of their brains thought more than 'damn, that actually makes sense' and pondered free will or that nature isn't a good thing necessarily as they lacked my combination of intelligence and high-functioning Autism to ponder it further.

Life for me was tough, but so severely rewarding in ways that you can't imagine if you don't have my kind of brain. I see strategy and logic in ways only the likes of Sun Tzu and Bonaparte did, I comprehend things so deeply whether or not I like or dislike the truth or lie and it shocks even me at times what I discover the more I look into things and comprehend them.

You can think I'm arrogant and delusional but in time you'll realise I just am that smart and should have no reason to doubt it.
Barney
Barney
-->
@RationalMadman
I am immune to this barometer "backfire" effect ... You can think I'm arrogant and delusional
I don't think anything bad about anyone who says they do not suffer from something common. Knowledge of how most people respond to intellectual challenges, should still be useful to you.

RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@Barney
Alright, but the reason why it stood out to me (I did mainly only bother to look into it as Argent said it was particularly helpful) is that as I was reading, it confused me what it was referring to. It would keep asking me to measure how easily I accepted the new truth and each time I felt nothing at all.