3rd Millenium priesthood

Author: janesix

Total: 9
janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
The third millenium priesthood of the materialist world. 
They are called "scientists".

Discuss.
ludofl3x
Debates: 0
ludofl3x
Except  unlike what priests say, you can actually take what a scientist says and try to do it yourself. If you can replicate results, then there's no need for faith in what they say, is there? Priests seem more like they're happy to let you think they have some different grasp on a mystery that you can't, because you haven't been to divinity school and they have. You can't take what they say and check it. If a scientist says "Gravitational effect of mass in space is X and therefore, light bends according to gravity, which means that time is affected by gravity," there's a follow up that says "and you can check it for yourself by using these tools, this formula, that experiment, right in your own house." 

Your statement seems a bit of a false equivalency.

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@ludofl3x
I don't think it's too far off if you look at it as a simple non-literal correlation. The reason you are not is bc you don't take spiritual people seriously. How do you know spiritual people aren't on to something? I'm not including religion in this bc i think religious people aren't truly the most spiritually intelligent bc they don't think for themselves. I'm talking about spiritual people that escaped indoctrination, became their own, and are truly obsessed, just as a scientist would be, in figuring out what is most logical if there is spiritual implications. 

If you take these two people, what she is saying is correct. One is fully obsessed in figuring out this world (scientists) and one is fully obsessed in figuring out beyond this world (enlightened spiritual person). It just doesn't make sense to me why you would ask a scientists that has no care about spirituality to be an expert on spirituality and vice versa. Sure, both of them can learn each others position in order to debate, etc... but the key is one is obsessed in figuring out one thing and the other in figuring the opposite. That's what makes people professionals at what they do. Which we can label that as a priest bc a priest is suppose to be the expert... but i personally think that's a bad comparison since a priest is obsessed with someone else's work and doesn't evolve. But as a general non-literal correlation... it works.  
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@janesix
Define priesthood in this context.
janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
-->
@secularmerlin
You know what a priesthood is.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@janesix
And it's not scientists.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@janesix
I know what I think a priesthood is and scientists do not as a rule fall under that definition so I was asking yours.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@janesix
It's ok if you don't want to talk but I'm still curious what you were trying to get at.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
Drive by topics.