I'm leaving DebateArt.com

Author: Alec

Total: 135
Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
-->
@RationalMadman
Anime has kind of a bad rap among normies. And it's easy to see why. It definitely has an *ahem* less than savory undercurrent that I've come across more of in the past year or so.
However, one thing that immediately catches the eye when it comes to anime is that it's often WAY more imaginative and creative than most of the drivel coming from the US (and of course, since the US utterly dominates the film and television industries in the Western world it goes without saying that anime is superior to most of the stuff put out by, say, European countries). Shows like Breaking Bad, and possibly Game of Thrones, are the exception and not the rule. The Harry Potter film series was also incredible, but I digress.

If you want an example of what I'm talking about, try a fairly obscure anime called "Shin Sekai Yori". I never finished because it was gay af*, but it entails an extraordinarily elaborate scenario that probably no US show can compare to in that regard.
Alternatively, if you just want an anime that people who normally hate anime love, try Attack on Titan. It's mainstream enough.
Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
*as frick
Titanium
Debates: 2
Titanium
-->
@RationalMadman
It's just TV/entertainment.  The unique cultural flare that the Japanese is heavily injected so it makes it more fun.  Out of all the show's I've awched a small fraction is anime but I'll state that another way.

Some of the entertainment I indulge in was produced by an alien culture I knew very little about initially... O_o
RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
-->
@Swagnarok
I could show you a multitude of ways that US, Uk, Aussie, Canadian etc media surpasses it and you'd simply say 'exception, not the rule' every time. How about I show you how mindless most anime is?

Search 'most popular animes' whether it's Naruto or anything and watch it. Don't skip the constant filler-episodes and filler-acting. Watch every painful second of the dragged-on series to wait for the few gems in the storyline. Then realise it's no different to US series in that way and that the brilliantly-in-depth ones are always the exception, not the rule because humans as a species are shallow-minded as a rule, not exception.
Titanium
Titanium
-->
@RationalMadman
I think you meant 'do skip the fillers.'  That TV is painfully bleak is just a reminder of how life can be so often as well.  Were you trying to cheer us up?

What's your favorite U.S. series?
RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
-->
@Titanium
I said don't. I meant don't. You didn't understand what I was asking him to do.
Titanium
Titanium
-->
@RationalMadman
I think I did.  That pop anime is as repetitive and exploitive  as any other form of media is clear and I'll give you that.  Just would not wish the BNaruto fillers on my worst enemies is all.
TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Titanium
Just would not wish the BNaruto fillers on my worst enemies is all.
I hate Naruto. Are you triggered? 

Outplayz
Debates: 0
Outplayz
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Have any of you watched Neon Genesis Evangelion?
I don't think so. I've seen a couple or maybe one or two other Animes where the characters fight inside machines... but i don't recall this one. Is it good? 

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@TheRealNihilist
My god, how can i forget Samurai Champloo... that series was the shizzel. I'm kinda like you with Death Note, but i watched it a second time and it's pretty cool. I was mad at some deaths, i won't spoil anything, but overall it was interesting. 
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Swagnarok
Alternatively, if you just want an anime that people who normally hate anime love, try Attack on Titan. It's mainstream enough.
That's a really good anime. There are a couple other apocalyptic animes that are really good too. I forget their names. It depends on the person you are recommending too. There is literally a genre for everyone. I can't really recommend any bc i like the fantasy action genres so i would recommend something on the lines of Bleach or Blood+ ... I remember watching some others, one in particular was a ghost hunter one where the guy was super intelligent, i think Rational would like... but i forget the name. 

In regards to comparing it to the west... really there is no comparison. It outright beats western animated series in my opinion just off the fact that no western animation is so in depth with genres and intricate plot lines that anime has... so blows them out of the water there. The only thing you can compare to is movies. But movies are their own thing and anime is its own thing. It's apples and oranges. The cool thing with anime is that if you like something like Harry Potter, or Zombie movies... there is likely more than a dozen or two animes that have such plots. Which i think is awesome. In the west you only have Harry Potter... in anime world you have like 20 or probable more Harry Potter type animes. That's what drew me in at least. I think it's brilliant what Anime has achieved. 
Titanium
Titanium
-->
@TheRealNihilist
O-O... I hope your dog dies.

It's pop.  I'm curious as to why large populations collect and decide somethings a fun thing to like.  Naruto is that when it comes to anime.  It's easy to hate on popular things, particularly when you get deeper into a genre, but so much easier to love them along with the masses.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Outplayz
I don't think so. I've seen a couple or maybe one or two other Animes where the characters fight inside machines... but i don't recall this one. Is it good? 
My favourite. Don't know if other people would like it.

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Titanium
O-O... I hope your dog dies.
I don't have a dog so you lose.

Naruto is that when it comes to anime.  It's easy to hate on popular things, particularly when you get deeper into a genre, but so much easier to love them along with the masses.
Yeah it is easy to follow the crowd then it is to find your own things you like. My problem with Naruto is Naruto. He is so unlikable. He is given so much power, very little to work for and somehow he is the greatest ninja alive. The show was never about hard-work it was about people who are gifted (inherited power from their family) which train as well. Which is why Rock Lee is not the main character or even relevant in Shippuden (watched most of it when they were kids but watch shippuden videos on YouTube). There is a video which is really good at addressing the problems of Naruto. If you don't want what you like to be tested don't watch it but it can reinforce your liking of Naruto if he is wrong or might just feel how I feel. It is 42 minutes long. Don't complain to me if it too long complain to him in the comment section.

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Outplayz
My god, how can i forget Samurai Champloo... that series was the shizzel. 
It was really fun to watch. I like Cowboy more but Samurai can definitely compete with Cowboy.

I'm kinda like you with Death Note, but i watched it a second time and it's pretty cool. I was mad at some deaths, i won't spoil anything, but overall it was interesting. 
The interest waves thin for me when both characters do things unimaginable and the series appears as it self realistic. If we remove the death note then that would be more realistic than a fantastical version of reality. Maybe I had the wrong mindset but it was so condescending when they were trying to give exposition or trying to explain something. Example would be when the main characters tells us how he keeps the Death Note safe. There are others but Titanium might get annoyed if I point out another example.