Hard Drive Reliability

Author: Snoopy

Total: 14
Snoopy
Debates: 1
Snoopy
How do you check that your SSD (Solid State Drive) or HDD (Hard Disk Drive) is in good repair?  Can hard drives be rebuilt with fresh parts, or carefully removing the original hard disc and placing into a new carriage with fresh bearings, disc readers, electronics etc...? In their respective designs, what design and manufacturing elements help to ensure that data is not corrupted over the lifetime of the storage medium, and that the storage device has a predictable service life over the long term?  

mustardness
Debates: 0
mustardness
-->
@Snoopy
How do you check that your SSD (Solid State Drive) or HDD (Hard Disk Drive) is in good repair?
Start with small hammer and work you way to larger hammers and you find the state of solidity of your HD..... :--))

Snoopy
Snoopy
Hey Jim, is this thing working right?  Lets find out, a one, a two, CrAAAACK!

TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
How do you check that your SSD (Solid State Drive) or HDD (Hard Disk Drive) is in good repair?  Can hard drives be rebuilt with fresh parts, or carefully removing the original hard disc and placing into a new carriage with fresh bearings, disc readers, electronics etc...? In their respective designs, what design and manufacturing elements help to ensure that data is not corrupted over the lifetime of the storage medium, and that the storage device has a predictable service life over the long term?  
Watch YouTube and see what people say. Try to look at various sources in order to find the most popular thing. Most popular I think is the best way to know if it works if you don't know what you are doing. You can simply research about it then figure it out for yourself but I think that will take too long. 

mustardness
mustardness
My HDrive kar-ma ran over my  dogmatic algorithms { software }.

Could be corruption of the solid { deep } state if not one of those long running conspiracy theories, or,

Ive actually been hacked by Russia, China USA, Google, Facebook etc

Defender
Defender
-->
@Snoopy
mustardness
mustardness
-->
@Defender
For PC's, best option without inloading an app,

click on Explorer folder --Finder in mac--
> local disk C > right click for menu and click "properties"
> then click tools > click "Check Disk".

I dont know if solid states PC's have this above ergo, it may be back to the hammer if you dont want an app.

I guess a hammer is just an impractical app. :--)

Defender
Defender
-->
@mustardness
I think a hammer is the solution to every hardware problem you have with computer.
mustardness
mustardness
I think a hammer is the solution to every hardware problem you have with computer
Yeah, a hammer also helps to relieve stress/tension from all the frustration. :--))

A regular screw driver, along with the correct size hammer force, is good for getting into the case of any machine.

Then duck tape just in case we need to keep some level of structural integrity intact.

This has been my old school trinary approach, prior to the digital age. 

For Macs, Disk Warrior is the King of fixit apps.  For PCs, a new PC is maybe th fastest if not most practical answer. to difficult problems.

48 days later

Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@Justify
Huh?

18 days later

mustardness
mustardness
-->
@Snoopy
Huh?
Solid State Drive i.e. no more optical disk reading ergo less mechanical stuff breakage.

Fuel injection more effective and less moving parts than carburator.

Other examples of doing-more-with-less { ephemeralization LINK } but I cant recall them.

Ex going further and faster with less fuel and less weight of an automobile while all the while getting all of the info in the world on your hand-held iphone.

995 days later

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@joelynnpamplin
If it ain't broke don't fix it.

64 days later

3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Snoopy
How do you check that your SSD (Solid State Drive) or HDD (Hard Disk Drive) is in good repair?
cmd

wmic diskdrive get status

if you see anything other than a "Status OK" then you should probably buy a new drive and backup your data immediately

also

if your drive is more than three years old, assume it will fail without warning
sadolite
sadolite
What could be more unreliable than electronics that are already obsolete the day you buy  them.