Which star trek was better?

Author: Melcharaz

Total: 28
Melcharaz
Debates: 6
Melcharaz
I liked the next generation better, though i won't deny that the original one had a lot of good episodes! KHAN!
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
I agree although my favorite episode is Balance of Terror
Melcharaz
Melcharaz
-->
@oromagi
I like Q, His revealing of an omnipotent character is quite funny!
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
Opposite. Q was the worst.  I hated all the omnipotent aliens and Q most of all because he would not go away
keithprosser
Debates: 0
keithprosser
-->
@Melcharaz
I'd say both TOS and TNG had some excellent episodes and some clunkers.  Maybe on average TNG just shades it, but TOS was ground-breaking and gets a lot of credit for that.

I'd guess a newbie watching TOS after TNG would think TOS was clunky - older viewers like me can't help having an attchment to Nichelle Nichols and Grace Lee Witney and their very mini-skirts!

Melcharaz
Melcharaz
-->
@keithprosser
not at all, im more intrested in the science, technology and moral implications.

96 days later

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Melcharaz
I now think that voyager may be the best overall, based on consistency.
bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
-->
@Melcharaz
DS9 was the best.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@bsh1
This could mean war...
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@keithprosser
lol
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@bsh1
Was Tuvix murdered?
Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
-->
@oromagi
Q is the egregore of all the trickster Gods, such as Loki. HIs presence was neccesary I hated all the klingon episodes though. Every single klingon episode in Star trek history sucked and should have been left out
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@keithprosser
Was Tuvix murdered?
Or was it suicide?
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@3RU7AL
I don't know if you know the 'voyager' episode.

It's def. not suicide!

I think Janeway made the wrong call morally, but as wikipedia says, "his fate was in fact ultimately determined not by his arguments or the decision of the captain, but by the ensemble casting and contractual arrangements" of the show".  But when did Hollywood ever put money brefore ethics?

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@keithprosser
After the Doctor refuses to take Tuvix's life in compliance with the medical precept of doing no harm, Janeway performs the procedure herself and succeeds in restoring both Tuvok and Neelix.
This seems like a criminally reckless gamble.

Most of the time, the writers just make the "anomalous condition" temporary so it fixes itself at the end of the episode.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@3RU7AL
I watched it again today and it is unusual in being quite 'edgy' and avoiding a tv cliche feel-good and neat ending.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@keithprosser
I watched it again today and it is unusual in being quite 'edgy' and avoiding a tv cliche feel-good and neat ending. 
What if they were able to use the transporter (magic) to clone off the original two characters while preserving the new hybrid (to make 3)?
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@keithprosser
Yes, but even if we grant that he was murdered, I am not sure his murder was not justified. One life was taken to restore two more. From certain ethical perspectives, that could be considered permissible.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@3RU7AL
There's any number of ways the story could have been written... I think the one they went with was 'an interesting choice' because it did avoid the usual 'happy ending'.  I think it's not obvious that Janewas decision was the right one.  

My feeling is that Tuvoc and Neelix were killed in the transporter accident and Tuvix is a person in his own right.  It complicates simple utilitarianism because arithmetic would seem to imply two lives are better than one (so Janeway's decision was right), but does that mean its ok to kill some to harvest their organs if that saves >1 person?    To bring that even closer tothe tuvix screario, suppose the one person was the child of the two?

I'm not sure,but I think Inwould have decided in Tuvic's favour.

It's a counterpoint to TOS 'The enemy within' when Kirk is split into a 'good kirk' and a 'bad kirk'.  There doesn't seem to be any strong feeling that re-joing the two isn't the right thing to do, although 'bad kirk' wants to maintain his independent existence.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@keithprosser
I'm not sure,but I think Inwould have decided in Tuvic's favour.
I think the choice is obvious.

Ask the new creature if it wants to be split into two individuals.

If "yes" then split 'em up!

If "no" then leave them the flip alone!

But really, with startrek level technology, they should be able to clone the thing and split it, or restore the transporter buffer for the other two and make as many copies as they want.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@3RU7AL
That's the point - Tuvix makes it clear he doesn't want to be split but Janeway forces him to accept her decision anyway.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@keithprosser
That's the point - Tuvix makes it clear he doesn't want to be split but Janeway forces him to accept her decision anyway.
Janeway is a Tyrannical Psychopath.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@bsh1
@3RU7AL
Any other episodes to discuss?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@keithprosser
How Deep Space Nine Actually Gets Religious Tolerance Right [LINK]
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@3RU7AL
I just watched it again and I wouldn't say that episode got 'religious tolerance' right, but I think it did a fair job of portraying religious fanaticism.   I suppose it did get relgious tolerance right in that it didn't extend tolerance to fanaticism, but things were left very unresolved at the end.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@keithprosser
I just watched it again and I wouldn't say that episode got 'religious tolerance' right, but I think it did a fair job of portraying religious fanaticism.   I suppose it did get relgious tolerance right in that it didn't extend tolerance to fanaticism, but things were left very unresolved at the end.
I remember being impressed that it didn't just press the point of "science is science is science".

I think that your religious/cultural traditions should be durable enough to be compatible with scientific descriptions.

You can fill in your ontological choices on your own, for example "big bang = god(s)" or whatever you want to call it.
Melcharaz
Melcharaz
-->
@bsh1
well, better than farscape for sure.
Club
Debates: 26
Club
TNG by a landslide.