Should the Columbine Basement tapes be released?

Author: Dylan_Kleboid

Total: 5
Dylan_Kleboid
Debates: 3
Dylan_Kleboid
What do you guys think? I personally think they should since they can be used to study the psychology of the human mind and be used to understand the killer's motives even more. One could make the argument that we have transcripts. However, transcripts aren't good for visual or auditory learners. Also, it's possible the transcripts could have been tampered with. 

Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
As far as I'm aware they were released about 15-20 years ago (2005 at the latest). What those two boys did was fairly straightforward, and it didn't really concern any other ongoing criminal investigations (save for maybe whoever sold them the weapons they used), so it would've been released fairly quickly, or at least, it would've surely taken them less than 20 years to do so.
I mean, heck, they even released police dispatch transcripts and recordings from that county on that day. Pretty much everything related to that case is out there on the internet now. It's just a matter of where to look. You could probably find the entire content of the Basement Tapes on YouTube, though of course if you do watch those then expect a ton of profanities and vulgarities.

I've read Eric Harris's diary. Some crazy sh*t right there. Incessant narcissistic boasting, a whiny brat who hated everybody and everything, like "mwahaha I'm so evil", which I guess in hindsight he really was. If somebody had gotten their hands on that ahead of time they would've known for sure that he was a danger to other people.
Sociopathy/psychopathy in general just translates to a large excess of selfishness (usually of a self-destructive nature), not necessarily sadism. But Eric Harris was one of a kind, so...
Swagnarok
Swagnarok
And yes, I know that yours is a troll account, possibly to commemorate the upcoming 20th anniversary of the incident.
Swagnarok
Swagnarok
I must say, though, it's got to really suck being the mother of one of those two boys. A stigma attached to them for the rest of their lives, though in truth what Eric and Dylan did had little to do with them having been subject to "bad parenting". I mean, how many mothers really know anything at all about the interests and personalities of their teenaged sons? Usually they cloister themselves up in their rooms and don't disclose except to friends who they mainly hang out with away from home, right?
I know Mrs. Klebold appeared on TEDTalks once. Maybe it was a way to finally tell her side of the story, to show that she was a victim as much as anybody else (save maybe the dead).
Swagnarok
Swagnarok
I actually remember, when I was maybe 7 or 8 years old I was sitting in a Sunday school-like class (at a very large local church, in a dimly-lit large room on the second floor of the gymnasium building) and the teacher, a middle-aged woman, was getting emotional talking about a school shooting that in hindsight had to have been Columbine, since I think there wasn't another major school shooting like it in the US until Virginia Tech, and then after that it didn't become super common until the 2010s. That was several years after it happened, of course. But close enough to it that it was still lingering strongly in the public consciousness (and especially among Evangelicals who were particularly antsy about that kind of thing).

An unexpectedly serious topic considering how old we all were. She was talking about the implications of violent video games and thinking violent thoughts. I'm not going to say she was wrong, because obviously the kind of sh*t that happens every couple of months now used to almost never happen. The spike in these incidents happened as there began to be a bigger and more realistic market for violent consumer products (such as video games and movies of a violent nature), though of course it took a long time for the former to catch up with the latter, and to be fair overall rates of violence are lower now than they used to be. But among some people their unwillingness to keep a clear distinction between violent fantasy and reality, based on desire that was fed for years and years by violent mediums, is having increasingly tragic consequences for our society. Heck, the Christchurch Mosque Shooting was livestreamed, so it could be seen as an extreme manifestation of that same market, with the target audience being less satisfied with simulated violence and now starting to develop a taste for snuff videos, which would strongly suggest that we're going to get a lot more of that happening in coming years.