When did media start working for the government's interests over the truth?

Author: Greyparrot

Total: 29
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
When I was growing up, it used to be that the Media spoke truth to power.

Now the MSM Media speaks the truth as dictated from government power. Remember the endless coverage of the 17 Government intelligence agencies? There would never have been a single network 20 years ago that would have trusted anything that the government said without rigorous cross checking. In fact, the medias prime position was to distrust anyone in power first and verify everything government claimed. Now the media just "leaks" the government truths from anonymous "sources" as "facts." Even though the media gets all these facts wrong, the people still don't get that the media is now working hand in glove with the government.

I'm pretty sure corporate media has been bought by the same people that purchased the government. This is sad.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot

700,000 tax dollars to promote a political position to grow the authority of the government. Nobody see anything wrong with this?
State controlled media funded with tax dollars?
TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Greyparrot
since they realized that's what sells
In the beginning there was Howard Stern aka the shock jock.  And thus began the era of sensationalism.  Toss in some Jerry Springer and the audience wants more and more.  We've reached the pinnacle of legal extremes.  but it does still sell.  infotainment has realized this and is just cashing in because people are buying it.  There's little to no down side of being wrong any more, it doesn't matter in a negative way.  This is a new religion for many people, they can't wait for the next big anti Trump story to come out, doesn't matter if it's later proven totally false.  Perhaps their conspiracy theories are as flamboyant as Alex Jones, but they are still in the same boat none the less.  Which makes them hypocritical when they criticize Jones.

Real life and death gladiator fights probably aren't too far off, have to keep the masses entertained, they get bored quickly.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Meanwhile, Assange is jailed...
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
That's not the whole truth. Ratings are tanking for elite government apologists (shills)...it's not about ratings anymore.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Greyparrot
yes but are they loosing money?  if advertisers etc are still paying them and aren't concerned about ratings then they don't matter.  they will put out the "news" that advertisers will pay for.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Who knows. Maybe CNN has become less of a news network and more of a PAC...who knows how many people donate to them for their activism.
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Greyparrot
Tweedism man... They are all bought and paid for by people mostly among the 1%. This isn't a true democracy... We're just puppets to be controlled. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Outplayz
Redpill..get un-woke.
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Greyparrot
Redpill..get un-woke.
Not getting it... isn't the Redpill to get woke? I'm horrible with inside type jokes man... total newb here. Although, i sorta agree with the contradiction. I think there should be a black pill... find the devil within you ("rebel").  

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Outplayz
The "woke" people are SJW activists fresh out of the marxist universities, fighting to tear the country up as the people in power want. Also known as people who took the blue pill.

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Greyparrot
The woke people are SJW warriors fresh out of the marxist universities.
Okay... now i know your lying. Do you agree with tweedism? I just learned that phrase. It makes sense as far as i know. If only the 1% can fund campaigns, then doesn't that mean they are basically picking who they want us to vote for... would those people work for the corporations then? And we get to pick what's chosen for us to pick?  
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Greyparrot
Oh.. that edit context helped lol. But, isn't Bernie Sanders funded through the people? He's not corrupt right? 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Outplayz
Lol, I might be wrong, but I have no reason to lie to anonymous people on the interwebz.
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Greyparrot
Lol, I might be wrong, but I have no reason to lie to anonymous people on the interwebz.
Get out of here... i know you don't think the woke people are the SJW's. I'm slowly catching on to your sarcasm however... i think it is. Stop messin with my mind man. I just wanted know what you think of Tweedism dammit... you all are the professionals in the politics forum... not me. 

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Outplayz
Don't be ridiculous. Look up woke in the Urban dictionary.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Outplayz
As far as tweedism goes, the DNC primaries are the ones with the superdelegates, not the GOP.
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Greyparrot
Don't be ridiculous. Look up woke in the Urban dictionary.
OHHHHH... i've had it wrong this whole fking time dammit!!. That's pretty funny though... woke means you didn't just take one blue pill you down the entire bottle... haha. 

As far as tweedism goes, the DNC primaries are the ones with the superdelegates, not the GOP.
I don't know man... as far as it goes, i think money has way more power over every politician than we know... on either side. But, that is the primary reason i voted for Trump. I don't think they have that hanging over his head... he's already a boss without them. But, he still wouldn't be there if he wasn't rich. I kinda have a problem with that system. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Outplayz
Trump was never the pick of John McCain or Mitch McConnell.

He also lost at least a billion dollars of net worth by running for president. Anyone willing to lose a billion dollars of their own personal money to help the country deserves a second look.

As far as your assertion about money...look at how much money Jeb Bush spent in the primaries vs Trump. Next look how much Hillary spent vs Trump in the general election.
ResurgetExFavilla
ResurgetExFavilla
They always have, it's just become more intense. Look at the Gulf of Tonkin incident. It's their business model: you aren't they're customer. You're their product. Their customers are their advertisers, so they will always serve corporate interests above the interests of the people, and corporate interests have also bought and paid for our government,
TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
Fault of the people. If they were more aware of what was going on they could have stopped it but since most people are busy doing other things it has become like that. I can't blame this generation to expect to understand what is wrong when it wasn't their fault but they can be blamed when the media and the government are doing bad in their generation without asking for change. 
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Greyparrot
When did media start working for the government's interests over the truth?

Since the great  Donald Trump won the American Presidency and the United Kingdom decided they didn't want to be dictated to any longer by a bunch of jumped up, self serving unelected strangers in Europe.

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Stephen
Since the great  Donald Trump won the American Presidency
He has been meeting great expectations of the Republican party status quo.
the United Kingdom decided they didn't want to be dictated to any longer by a bunch of jumped up, self serving unelected strangers in Europe.
Keep telling that to yourself when the UK will have to make a deal with Europe and realise they will get a worse one than before because the EU will make an example of them and all the UK can do is accept it or go to lesser developed countries to trade.

You don't know what you are talking about. It is always been like that. It is easier to conform with higher-ups than it is to tell the truth because your job is on the line if you do something against the status quo of the business. Don't see how 20 years it wasn't like this or even earlier on with the war propaganda. 
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@TheRealNihilist
the UK will have to make a deal with Europe and realise they will get a worse one than before because the EU will make an example of them and all the UK can do is accept it or go to lesser developed countries to trade.

Yes I know. This is precisely the reason why I voted to leave in a referendum along with 17.5 million others you buffoon. Is the circus in town/
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Stephen
So you understand how st*pid something is but still did that st*pid thing. Wow. 
Snoopy
Debates: 1
Snoopy
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Do you think the EU is justified in "making an example" out of the UK?
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Snoopy
Do you think the EU is justified in "making an example" out of the UK?
Yes. Do you want reasons? 
Snoopy
Debates: 1
Snoopy
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Not now, but thank you

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Snoopy
That's what happens when you have competing interests.