My question to the Black/Brown youth

Author: ravensjt

Total: 21
ravensjt
Debates: 0
ravensjt
Hello All,

The Hip Hop Community is a both a blessing and a burden to "woke" Black/Brown people in America.

Alotta music in the Community glorify black death....but why is that so popular? Why is it "cool" for us to rap about killing each other?

When I bring this up amongest many of the youth I mentor, they say "it's just entertainment...."

But if that's the case, why don't I hear songs glorifying killing Whites? Jews? Politicians? Why is that not "just entertainment?

There is a large segment of the population that gets upset hearing me even say that, but if it's just entertainment then why does that matter?

Why is Blacks killing Blacks a cool thing to glorify? Who made it "cool" to celebrate our own death?

The death culture within hip hop community is shameful and destructive 

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@ravensjt
I'm not sure how or why this would be entertaining.
When I think back to the way things were compared to now, with regards to how people look and portray themselves, there's been some stark changes.  Though people do things for personal reasons I believe the end result is actually the same.  For example tattoos use to be mostly military people and bikers, no longer.  When you ask some people as to why, often the answer is "it's who I am" as if that has any meaning or explanation.  It's a bit hypocritical when we don't want to be judged by our looks and yet get tattooed for everyone to see.  The main point of tattoos and most piercings  is that is their only way to differentiate themselves from everyone else, to feel unique and special.  I got my ear pierced way back when, before it was mainstream and I did it for the sole reason to be different, and stopped it when it because too common imo.  This strong desire to be unique and different has lead to scaring, branding, gauges, horns,skin implants and some very extreme things.  We do want to be judged on how we look, we just don't want to be judged negatively, ironic.
I like music that makes me feel, otherwise it's just noise.  This is why certain songs are popular while others are not.  Music servers no other purpose other than to provoke some kind of emotion/feeling.

what kind of emotion or feeling doe this music that glorifies black death bring?  That's what you have to figure out imo.
DBlaze
DBlaze
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
"Things that make you go Hmmmmmmm"
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@DBlaze
ok that was actually funny
with these issues one must ask, what's in it for them, what are they getting out of it.
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@ravensjt

This mentions his "boys" dying... which can be any race. Then, it focuses on suicide and giving up. Therefore, the darkness could be pointed at any race. Interestingly, although this song is about death and sad... it saves many people from going forward with their dark intentions. It may lead to some people giving up, but majority of the time... music does the opposite effect to people than what it is saying. 

Then there is this. This video perfectly portray's what this music does. What is in one's mind. It makes you feel invincible... like you can conquer anyone or anything. Therefore, the music isn't directed only at black people... it is directed at the world. It pumps you up. The violence isn't only directed one way... it is directed to all. 

Therefore, i don't get what you mean that it is directed at black people. There "isn't a lot"... or is "black death" the most popular. If there are any songs directly telling one to kill blacks ... it would be a fringe song that no one listens to. The death is aimed at everyone which is why i, and others, love it.  
ravensjt
ravensjt
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
The difference between a culture that embellishes killing those who look like you and getting tattoos is so different that it's almost insulting to compare the two.

what kind of emotion or feeling doe this music that glorifies black death bring?  That's what you have to figure out imo.

Who benefits from the deaths and incarceration of Black and Brown youth?

Everyone isn't my target audience (see the title of the thread)
ravensjt
ravensjt
-->
@Outplayz

Then there is this. This video perfectly portray's what this music does. What is in one's mind. It makes you feel invincible... like you can conquer anyone or anything. Therefore, the music isn't directed only at black people... it is directed at the world. It pumps you up. The violence isn't only directed one way... it is directed to all. 
XXXtentacion is an example of whom I reference when I make my point.

Black Gangsta Rapper who was murdered by another Black Youth.

If Whites (or whomever) have Culturally Appropriated Rap then that by no means makes them the target audience.

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@ravensjt
Who benefits from the deaths and incarceration of Black and Brown youth?
the music writers apparently, gives them something to write about.  there is a demand for this music, so they are supplying it.

don't you think there must be some kind of entertainment value to those who listen to it?  Finding out why could help you understand better right?

Everyone isn't my target audience (see the title of the thread)
and?  not sure where you got any such idea or how you made that assumption.

so you don't think this music might make them feel powerful, special, unique or different from the average?
let me ask you this, this type of music, is it getting more popular, is it getting more extreme?
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@ravensjt
XXXtentacion is an example of whom I reference when I make my point.

Black Gangsta Rapper who was murdered by another Black Youth.

If Whites (or whomever) have Culturally Appropriated Rap then that by no means makes them the target audience.

Just bc he was killed by a black makes the music something that leads to blacks killing blacks? That's your logic? That makes no sense. He was killed by another black bc a gangster was jealous or something... it has little to do with his music. The guy could have listened to death metal... you have no clue what they listened to. Plus, bringing up death metal... that is "white guy music." There are lines like "it's 3am and my mouth tastes like the corpse of every pregnant teen." Do you see people killing bc of that? No. Actually, black, death, hardcore, etc. metal is 10 times as violent as hip hop is. So, if you are going to link music to others killing others... you are surely making a mistake. Black on black crime is societal... has little to do with music. 
triangle.128k
triangle.128k
-->
@ravensjt
Yep, Cultural Marxism and thug culture took a hard hit on African Americans.

ravensjt
ravensjt
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Hey Bro...

the music writers apparently, gives them something to write about.  there is a demand for this music, so they are supplying it.

I would say the million/billionaire music execs.....who more than often are old White Males

don't you think there must be some kind of entertainment value to those who listen to it?  Finding out why could help you understand better right?
Absolutely, and thats why I questioned why is genocide entertainment amongest Black Youth but killing Jews, Politicians etc... considered taboo?

so you don't think this music might make them feel powerful, special, unique or different from the average?
let me ask you this, this type of music, is it getting more popular, is it getting more extreme?
Both (more extreme and popular)

ravensjt
ravensjt
-->
@Outplayz

Just bc he was killed by a black makes the music something that leads to blacks killing blacks? That's your logic? That makes no sense.
It makes perfect sense because it's a culture that he promoted and endorsed and NOT ironically that same lifestyle was how his life ended

The guy could have listened to death metal..

you are surely making a mistake. Black on black crime is societal... has little to do with music. 
Partly true....see the link above

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@ravensjt
so, much like tattoos and body mutilation is getting more extreme, there's a cultural shift to the more extreme (even violence).  Now as to your question "killing Jews, Politicians etc" it makes Jews, Politicians etc the victim and gives them the attention.  They want the attention for themselves/kind or community.  You see they are victims and it is giving them the attention and a commonality, so it does work, i'm sure it's much more complex and much deeper than that, but it is a start when analyzing the problem.

Many of us can recall the embarrassment and the giggles of hearing a profane word, now it mostly goes unnoticed and not reacted to.  So what once got you attention now no longer does you must up your game, escalate.

Rap music videos use to get a lot of attention because they depicted drug use, sex and some violence.  The drug use and sex are passé.  What's more extreme than killing and death?  I can't think of anything.

this is our society now
consider what is glorified now and I think that can help you find some answers, trying to figure out how and why we got here, well that's a life long undertaking I think.

While I can understand your focus on this specific topic, it affects the whole of society.  Society that includes us all is going morally bankrupt at an alarming rate.  You are seeing symptoms of a much large disease, probably a fatal one.
ravensjt
ravensjt
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Appreciate your response Bro,

Music is a powerful influence... I would say moreseo in the inner cities (I grew up in West Baltimore) than perhaps other areas.

I grew up in a Society where music such as Public Enemies "Fight the Power!" were inspirational amd Queen Latifah's "U.N.I.T.Y" were songs that taught empowerment.....

Those messages are lost now

I suppose my internal debate comes from whether gangsta rap is a cause of the degradation of parts of our society or  if gangsta rap is the result of the same....

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@ravensjt
I suppose my internal debate comes from whether gangsta rap is a cause of the degradation of parts of our society or  if gangsta rap is the result of the same....
I would say both, a vicious circle.  One that's difficult to escape to be sure, if you aren't in, you are an outcast, like a conservative Person of color.  It's a supply and demand kind of thing.  If you can supply something more extreme and there's a huge demand for it, not only will you provide it, but you will work on the next level of extreme when the initial becomes common place and boring and the demand for it wanes.  Imo Society is addicted to entertainment and attention.  Children will seek attention even if it's negative.
If you consider who is popular and some consider influential, not all of them are good people.  Family values, honor and respect are all but a thing of the past and I believe all these negative things are intertwined and pure poison.
back to your point Why is it "cool" for us to rap about killing each other?  I could be they are embracing victim-hood, though it's not clear why you'd take that out on your fellow person.
I'll have to think on that some more.  It's possible the rap is actually about the cultural struggle and they are just misinterpreting the message but I don't know as I'm not familiar with Rap.
Is there one specific song you think is the best representation of what you are talking about, and what exactly are the words at issue?
Seems I recall there was a 17 year old, recently who shot it out with the cops saying he wasn't going back to jail.  For an alarming number (imo) life has little to no meaning for them, their's or others.
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@ravensjt
It makes perfect sense because it's a culture that he promoted and endorsed and NOT ironically that same lifestyle was how his life ended

He never promoted a specific culture. Like i said, rap can be taken to mean anything. There isn't one thing it points to... which is what you don't understand since i am sure you don't listen to it. Hip hop lyrics are very complex and most the time have to do with systemic failures. Of course, about drugs and girls is another theme. But, the most respected lyrics talk about corrupt people and/or government. The most deep lyrics are self help and motivational. Rap, as a whole, doesn't condone or promote any kind of violent culture. 

... who listen's to rap is the question. Black people mainly listen to rap, or in larger numbers than any other genre. And, black people have high rates of violent crime. Therefore, of course more violent crime happens while someone is listening to rap. It has nothing to do with the music. This is what you aren't getting. It has to do with the people listening to the music. It's like saying classical music leads to serial killers. It's none sense and ignorant thinking. 

The question is why is there more violent crime in the black communities. The answer to the question has nothing or very little to do with the music they listen to.   
DBlaze
DBlaze
-->
@ravensjt
Didn't most of the "Thug Life" mentality die off in the 90's?  I don't hear much gangsta rap/music anymore, at least not to the extent of glorifying killing. Or is it that there is so much more non main stream music out there that it just doesn't reach my ears?  Like Tupac, Biggie, NWA and the like?

There doesn't seem to be that same East Side, West Side kind of beef anymore, and less 187 on a mutha fn cop.  Is there a large part of the genre that I am missing?  
Castin
Castin
-->
@DBlaze
I find most mainstream rap and hip hop seems to have moved on to just sex and money. I don't hear a lot of songs about killing these days.
DBlaze
DBlaze
-->
@Castin
Right, in the mainstream, but maybe there is underground.... or on the stations that I really don't listen to.  Life is different with more than one MTV.  Now I don't watch any of them.
ravensjt
ravensjt
-->
@DBlaze
Didn't most of the "Thug Life" mentality die off in the 90's?  I don't hear much gangsta rap/music anymore, at least not to the extent of glorifying killing. Or is it that there is so much more non main stream music out there that it just doesn't reach my ears?  Like Tupac, Biggie, NWA and the like?

Underground hip/hop is what many youth listen to now. (Montanna 300, Dej Loaf etc)

Same song.... reached number 12 on billboard:

They may release an occasional "mainstream" song (see Dej Loaf) but the overwhelming amount of their songs are not positive (imo) 

DBlaze
DBlaze
-->
@ravensjt
I have no idea what kids are listening to these days, It makes me feel old.   I do like the explanation that Dredpriate had about the "more extreme."  Kids are going to do whatever their parents don't really agree with.  It has happened in every generation, this is a static change, (I know that is an oxymoron), but it makes sense.

Parents couldn't stand their kids listening to Elvis Presley when he hit the scene, they thought it was sexual devil music and did not want their kids listening to it.  Now we look back, and it is harmless.  Maybe in the future the kids of now will be old and think the same thing of the music their kids are listening to.  The question is, how extreme will it be?