The Societal Effects on Darwinian Evolution

Author: K_Michael

Total: 18
K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
Whether you believe in evolution or not, I want to hear your views on how humanity, social constructs, etc., have affected the influence of evolution.

This is actually for a kind of research, so the more answers, the better.
TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
-->
@K_Michael
My stance should be we should accept truth and from that truth use it to support what we value. If we are false about our truth then your values are based on lies. 

humanity, social constructs
Humanity creates social constructs so I think the clear example of human activity coming in the way of evolution is genital mutilation. There is no health benefits of doing it yet human activity deems it okay to remove it. 
I don't how much people on DA would be. It is best to research it from other sites. I'll name few you can check out:

I found these by simply typing "impact of Darwinism on humanity" 
Simply type what I did and read the sites. That should give you more than enough information for what you need it for. 
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Are you referencing Transgenders with genital mutilation?
K_Michael
K_Michael
-->
@Greyparrot
I actually believe he's referring to circumcision.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Greyparrot
Are you referencing Transgenders with genital mutilation?
K_Michael is correct. The case with Transgenderism is that it is main to treat it. If there was a better way doctors would not be doing such a thing but there hasn't been a breakthrough in helping these people. Maybe they find a way to help them without having them change gender or maybe they have to but the process is better. 

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Is genital mutilation part of the treatment?
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Greyparrot
Is genital mutilation part of the treatment?
Might be. Depends on what the doctor thinks is best. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@TheRealNihilist
So then there are health benefits for genital mutilation.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Greyparrot
So then there are health benefits for genital mutilation.
I wasn't referencing Transgenders with genital mutilation. I was referring people who do not suffer from gender dysphoria. Specifically hetero-sexual men and women. 
K_Michael
K_Michael
Getting back on topic now. 

Would you say that things like healthcare have had a detriment on the process of evolution?

Snoopy
Debates: 1
Snoopy
-->
@K_Michael
What do you mean by detriment?

K_Michael
K_Michael
-->
@Snoopy
Have we stopped, slowed, or reversed the effects of evolution on the human race in a way that is detrimental to our intellectual development by implementing social practices like healthcare?
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@K_Michael
Would you say that things like healthcare have had a detriment on the process of evolution?
It has made humans rely more on technology and on others because it is more effective. So yes it has had a detriment to evolution. 

mustardness
Debates: 0
mustardness
-->
@K_Michael
I want to hear your views on how humanity, social constructs, etc., have affected the influence of evolution.
Inbreeding looses access to metaphysical-1 mind/intellect/concepts.

Fullers example uses that  boxers as the one evolutionary step of humanity via those who practice beating { terrorize } each others thinking brain to a pulp.

And the crowd goes.... wild!....back to nature has differrent connotations to differrent people.

Consider Romans arena of putting people in with wild beasts of terror.  And when they didnt have people they put in Mastiff dogs with the wild beasts of terror. 

35 days later

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@K_Michael
Evolution is a far greater process than just species development.

Evolution started at the beginning way before the development of organic material and the subsequent development of sentient life.

As such I think that it is fair to suggest that it would be arrogant to assume that we are or were ever meant to be the ultimate limit of universal potential or purpose.

Of course; this is based on the assumption that everything has some sort of purpose. Whether that be simply a universal inevitability or even something more divinely inspired. Who knows?!

I would further suggest that it is quite evident that material development is already starting to exceed the capabilities and obvious fragility of the organic.

Maybe we were just a tool for furthering the process of material development.
It would seem that knowledge is of key importance and we are now well into the process of transferring knowledge to other less fragile systems.

And who knows what is or isn't happening elsewhere in the universe?

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@K_Michael
What is new is that humans are (very plausibly!)the only species that have the concept of evolution and has any conscious control over it.  Darwin and Wallace correctly identified natural selection as the prime driver of adaptive evolution for most of the history of life, but it is clear that these days evolution is shaped by our (ie humanity's) will, not 'survival of the fittest'. 

100,000 years ago no species had the conceptual apparatus or power to direct evolution. (affect yes, but not to plan it).  Now it would be absurd to ignore humanity's conscious plans if you want to predict the path of evolution.   The species and individuals that survive are not the fittest any more - they are the one's we choose to survive and breed.   Natural selection has practically disappeared and all selection is now artificial.
K_Michael
K_Michael
-->
@keithprosser
With the development of technology as it stands today, do you believe that natural selection is having less and less of a physical change on humans? Theoretically, we're smarter than we used to be, but it's difficult to measure whether a modern person is significantly more intelligent than someone from Ancient Rome or something.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@K_Michael
'Classical' natural selection is the result of variation between individuals tending to make some individuals live longer and have more offspring than others.   Selection was the result of a daily struggle to survive, not a goal or planned outcome.

I expect that having more intelligence was a Darwinian advantage in our ape-like ancestors, but it is not clear that being more intelligent today means you have more offspring.   If anything, the opposite is probably true.  

I doubt we are more intelligent now than previously.  We are, however, much better educated.

I'd say that genetic evolution is glacially slow compared to social evolution.  It is likely that human society will be very different in 500 years - but I dout our genome will be much changed in that period.