DDO's solution to spambots: More Ads!

Author: Imabench

Total: 20
Imabench
Debates: 6
Imabench
Not sure if this happened recently or I just came really late to the party, but Juggle has actually stepped in onto DDO to make changes to the site long after the rest of us already fled from there a while ago. 

What did Juggle decide to do? They added more advertisements.... 

I sh** you not, In a move of hilarious stupidity, rather than try to curtail the massive number of spambots on the site that drove out actual people who used the site for a variety of different reasons, Juggle has apparently opted to instead squeeze out whatever revenue can still be made off of the dead site by packing in advertisements in the last places they possibly could. 

Pick any thread on any forum, I checked and this works on all of them, and scroll all the way down. Past all the actual responses from other people, all the way to the bottom. Once you hit rock bottom, normally what you would see is the end of the webpage or maybe a little button to take you to the next page or back to the first page..... Now though, when you scroll all the way to the bottom, you will find no less than 15 advertisements that you could find just about anywhere else on the internet.... Ads for crappy browser games, Ads for reverse mortgages, Ads for 'weird tricks to do every day!'.... I even spotted ads for a prostate pill and a miracle spice that can help pain.  

I don't use this site very often, I pop in and out once a week at most, but just glancing back at what DDO has become really drives home in my opinion how much better off we are here now on this site. This site has potential and is on the rise, DDO somehow keeps falling deeper and deeper down the crevice. 

RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@Imabench
The site that would ban me over you always was doomed to end this way.
David
Debates: 91
David
This is why I use AdBlock. DDO is clearly a write off for juggle and they have no incentive to fix it. 
David
David
I just checked DDO. The religion forum is alive and well. 
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@Imabench
It must be hard to see that change, you’ve invested a lot of time and conversation and friendship there, right? Nice to see your name again and hope to see more of it. 

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@David
When all else has gone to shit, the cockroach will outlive the nuclear blast.
Imabench
Imabench
The site that would ban me over you always was doomed to end this way.
Haven't you already received temp bans from this site on two different occasions already, one coming almost within the first month of the site being active? 

If you want to be salty about the past thats fine, you have the right to misremember things and invite me to drag up ancient history about how you posted pictures of flesh lights into debates, claimed that rape is okay as long as someone is not being or immediately about to be raped, and invent wild conspiracy theories about there being a DDO Elite to try to excuse your rampant stupidity, but before you do so maybe make sure that you reputation on THIS site isn't as poor as it was on DDO, otherwise you just set yourself up to be knocked down (again) 

<3  
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Imabench
I was playing devil's advocate in the debate you are talking about rape in, you are genuinely mentally ill to think I was serious.
Imabench
Imabench
1) Saying you 'claimed' something is different than saying you 'believe/believed' in something. I only said that you claimed to make that statement in a debate, not that you genuinely believed it. 

2) Thats the part of my response you want to dispute? XD 
Imabench
Imabench
-->
@oromagi
Yeah DDO was a great place to burn some time if you were bored or feeling creative. When I was in college and had lots of down time I spent a sh*tload of time on there doing all sorts of different things. Nowadays I'm more preoccupied with life and only check in on this site once every couple of days now, but it undeniably has that same potential DDO had during its golden days 
TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Imabench
I don't think they said it was a fix or something. It was more so milking DDO. If they did say that then they are liars.

TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
-->
@David
ethang5, Harikrish and Willows are always complaining. Must love each other so much that they dedicate so much time insulting one another. 
Ramshutu
Debates: 43
Ramshutu
-->
@David
The religion forum on DDO reminds me of this cutaway gag from family Guy:

Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@David
I just checked DDO. The religion forum is alive and well. 

Just fact checked this, those are actually spam bots too. It is just hard to tell the because... religion forum.

bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
That's kind of sad...DDO used to be great...
Castin
Debates: 0
Castin
I just checked, and I'm not seeing the ads at the bottom of the page.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Castin
You have adblocker on.
Castin
Debates: 0
Castin
-->
@RationalMadman
I can often still see where the ads are as blank boxes. But yeah, you were right. Not this time, it seems.

Lol. Screenshot.
David
David
One other thing I saw - they finally added an https security certificate. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@David
This is actually something that was 'lost' for far less time than people realise. It's definitely true it was down during the most brutal ad spam and did indeed have something to do with how easily the bots could script what they scripted (speed-wise HTTPS forces a delay when you click a button that is around 0.4 of a second due to the encryption it's adding and which would have affected a few things in the rapid nature of them doing what they did if you play it over many topics, posts and comments).

For a long time DDO somehow altered the default to be http while the https was a different site (same content) with more eye-intense formatting (think making it legible to elderly women's eyes).