I am calling out the number 1 on the leaderboard Alec

Author: TheRealNihilist

Total: 59
Ramshutu
Debates: 43
Ramshutu
-->
@Alec
Substantial additional gun controls, prohibitions on some ownership, buybacks, and attempt to substantially reduce the number of weapons legally owned, and increase the legal requirements and burden required to own and sell them.
Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
-->
@Ramshutu
Substantial additional gun controls
Can you be more specific?

46 days later

Mharman
Debates: 18
Mharman
-->
@Alec
I think I will debate you on abortion sometine. Not now though.
Alec
Alec
-->
@Mharman
My new position on abortion that ought to be implemented nationwide.  Subject to change:

Before 6 weeks: Legal on request.  The fetus has a heartbeat and brainwaves by then.  I could agree to a short term compromise of 8 weeks.

6 weeks to viability (Around 20 weeks): Only legal if the mother has a strong chance of dying without abortion.  Rape victims should have gotten one earlier if they wanted one.

After viability: No reason to get an abortion.  If threat to the mother's life, she can put the baby on life support paid for by insurance.  

Hopefully, both sides can agree to this.  The left seems unwilling to ban it beyond 6 weeks even with the mother's life as an exception.  The left wants unrestricted abortion until 20 weeks, the Right wants to ban it altogether.  Hopefully, this is a compromise that the sides can agree too.

The Left that loves Europe so much for being so progressive is unwilling to adopt their abortion policies into law.  The Roe Standard is 20 weeks.  The European standard is about 12 weeks.

mustardness
Debates: 0
mustardness
-->
@Alec
My new position on abortion that ought to be implemented nationwide.  Subject to change:
Here is some change for you so please Read My Lips/Text:

Keep Your Friggin Nose Out of a Pregnant Womans Bodily Business unless she asks you place your nose in her bodily business.

Now that would a true moral change if you could even attempt to do that. You cannot because,

1} you fear women or,

2} because your a some kind of a religious fundamentalist or,

3} because you want to hurt women  --i.e. have power over them--- in one way or another. Who knows what that my be a result of. 
Alec
Alec
-->
@mustardness
I challenge you to a formal abortion debate.  Do you accept?

TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Alec
What about me?

You did say you were going to debate me. 
Alec
Alec
-->
@TheRealNihilist
What post did I say that?  We didn't agree to anything yet.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Alec
I would enjoy debating you, but it would be too time consuming.  I have an AP Chem test coming up and I have to study for it.  I could debate you after May 9th.
Post #3 here.

So are you going to back down or change the "could debate you" to won't debate you? I would like a reason if you are backing down. 
Alec
Alec
-->
@TheRealNihilist
I'm not backing down.  What do you want to debate about?
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Alec
I'm not backing down.  What do you want to debate about?
Border wall. You can start by not forfeiting Round 1. 

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Alec
Other debates I have looked at that you have been apart of so you can simply use those arguments but better are:

Alec
Alec
-->
@TheRealNihilist
I don't think I can win an argument against the border wall, but I could argue the death penalty.  Should I challenge you?
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Alec

"I support the death penalty as punishment in at least one real or hypothetical or real instance. My opponent must be against the death penalty for all conceivable crimes."

You are making me take the most radical position while you are not also. I would be against the death penalty in all cases but you are for the death penalty in one case. Make it like:

should we value the death penalty? You take the position pro and my opponent takes the position as con. 

Change it to you support the death penalty and I do not then I will accept. I think that is fair because we both would be arguing the philosophical grounds and if you want to argue with data as well. 

Can you change the word count to at least 10,000 as well? 
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Alec
How about a debate about gender? I know your stance as in there are only 2 genders. I will take the other. Make sure to add definitions. 
Alec
Alec
-->
@TheRealNihilist
I think that is fair because we both would be arguing the philosophical grounds and if you want to argue with data as well. 
What I'm worried about is I don't support the death penalty for all crimes.  I don't support it for stealing.  I don't support it for speeding.  I support the death penalty for murderers.  I think most people who claim to be against the death penalty are against it for murder as well as less serious crimes.  I don't feel too confident about a gender debate, although I can discuss it on a forum if you want.

I changed the character limit to 7500.  I don't want to have to respond to a huge amount of text.
mustardness
Debates: 0
mustardness
I challenge you ---Alec--- to do the following.  Obviously you cannot. So you lose again.

Keep Your Friggin Nose Out of a Pregnant Womans Bodily Business unless she asks you place your nose in her bodily business.

Now that would a true moral change if you could even attempt to do that. You cannot because,

1} you fear women or,

2} because your a some kind of a religious fundamentalist or,

3} because you want to hurt women  --i.e. have power over them--- in one way or another. Who knows what that my be a result of. 

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Alec
No this is what I want you to do to the description:

Original
"I support the death penalty as punishment in at least one real or hypothetical or real instance. My opponent must be against the death penalty for all conceivable crimes. No new arguments in the final round, but arguments in all other rounds are okay. The BoP is shared."

New one
"I support the death penalty. My opponent must be against the death penalty. No new arguments in the final round, but arguments in all other rounds are okay. The BoP is shared."

In your arguments you can talk about the instances were you agree with the death penalty. I want that to be apart of the discussion not assumptions I am agreeing to debate you on. 
Alec
Alec
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Original
"I support the death penalty as punishment in at least one real or hypothetical or real instance. My opponent must be against the death penalty for all conceivable crimes. No new arguments in the final round, but arguments in all other rounds are okay. The BoP is shared."

New one
"I support the death penalty. My opponent must be against the death penalty. No new arguments in the final round, but arguments in all other rounds are okay. The BoP is shared."
What's the difference?  I sense a trap.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Alec
What's the difference?  I sense a trap.
The difference is I am not agreeing that you only have X amount of crimes you would want to have the death penalty for as an assumption before accepting the debate instead I will talk about it in the debate if you bring it up. 

Alec
Alec
-->
@TheRealNihilist
So if I say, "I want the death penalty for murder and treason" and you have to prove that both of these are a bad idea, would that be a compromise.

New description:

I support the death penalty for murder and treason.  My opponent must be against the death penalty for both of these crimes.

Is this a good description?
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Alec
So if I say, "I want the death penalty for murder and treason" and you have to prove that both of these are a bad idea, would that be a compromise.
No because then I am forced to use those as the talking points for my side instead it can be more general like the one I proposed so that I can choose to defend my position in various of ways.
Is this a good description?
I would like it to be more general which doesn't mean you can't use those arguments. It just means I have more to work with for my side instead of being forced to talk about murder and treason. 
Alec
Alec
-->
@TheRealNihilist
I would like it to be more general which doesn't mean you can't use those arguments.
I think you would be strawmanizing me if I were to defend the death penalty for general crimes.  I hope I'm not a straw man.  I don't want to have to argue the death penalty for misdemeanors.

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Alec
I think you would be strawmanizing me if I were to defend the death penalty for general crimes.  I hope I'm not a straw man.  I don't want to have to argue the death penalty for misdemeanors.
How about we agree here or in the debate itself that I don't straw-man you? That way I get the general description and you get me not straw-manning you. Can you also make it 10,000 characters I would be kind of annoyed if run out of characters. Don't think I will but less chance if it was 10,000.

Alec
Alec
-->
@TheRealNihilist
I can make it 10,000 characters, but I like my new description better.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Alec
I can make it 10,000 characters, but I like my new description better.
Alright fine. Am I allowed to rebut in the 1st Round or do I have to wait until the 2nd?

Alec
Alec
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Updated.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Alec
Still says this:

Characters have changed though.

What you should add:

"I support the death penalty for murder and treason.  My opponent must be against the death penalty for both of these crimes. No new arguments in the final round, but arguments in all others rounds are okay. The BoP is shared"
Alec
Alec
-->
@TheRealNihilist
I think it's updated now.