Should DART have ads?

Author: Alec

Total: 50
Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
I say yes because they are minimally disturbing and they would provide revenue so Debate art, Bsh1, and Virt can get paid for their hard work to make DART a good debating site.  I don't have to agree with everything they do.  It's one thing that makes us individualls.  But lets face it, DART is better then DDO.

It also could provide the opportunity for more jobs at DART because DART will grow and when it grows beyond a certain point, I don't want the mods to get too tired out managing the site.  Otherwise, it would crash like DDO.  They won't get too tired if they get more help from people who would also become mods that could get paid from the ads.

Let me know what you guys think?
Alec
Alec
-->
@DebateArt.com
@David
@bsh1
You might want to check this out.
David
Debates: 91
David
Absolutely not. No ads for DART. 
Alec
Alec
-->
@David
What do you have against ads?  They just exist within the margins.
David
Debates: 91
David
-->
@Alec
It makes the site look cluttery and unprofessional. Take a look at the ads on DDO. They're intrusive and often times inappropriate for a debate site. The site has a patreon account where you can donate money to help run the site. A voluntary donation is much better because it gives a sense of communal ownership of the site. 
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
I support yes. To get ads you need to reveal the owner(s), officially. I know my contract law. :)
Alec
Alec
-->
@David
If it would be a good idea, what if there were partisan ads, because people on DART debate partisan subjects a lot?  One side of the computer(maybe the left side) has some left wing message, the other side has some right wing message.  I don't think this site gets a lot from donations.
Alec
Alec
@RM

I know the owner's name.  I won't reveal it unless he's okay with me doing it.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
Do you mean Michael, the fake name he gives us while hiding being Russian VPN?
Alec
Alec
@RM
I thought that was his name.  I also believe in innocent until proven guilty, so if you want to accuse him of having a different name, I hope you have proof of your claim.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
LOL!

DebateArt.com
Debates: 0
DebateArt.com
-->
@Alec
I don't like ads not only because they mess up the design, which is not perfect as it is, but also because they become more and more useless with every day since lots of people use adblocks and whatnot. But as Virt pointed out, you can always donate money via the Patreon page and they will help us cover the hosting expenses and the extra ( currently anything above 30$ ) I would gladly split between the mods.

Regarding my name, it's not Michael per se, it's Mikhail but I use the former to simplify things for the folk here. 

Alec
Alec
-->
@DebateArt.com
If people use ad blocks, won't they still have to pay money for every ad that is blocked?  I don't mean to be rude, but I don't want to donate money.  Has anyone ever donated to DART?  The option can still exist, I just don't think it will bring in that much money.
Ramshutu
Debates: 43
Ramshutu
-->
@DebateArt.com
Don't split it with the mods.

Bsh will only spend it fabulous parties.

DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Alec
If people use ad blocks, won't they still have to pay money for every ad that is blocked?  I don't mean to be rude, but I don't want to donate money.  Has anyone ever donated to DART?  The option can still exist, I just don't think it will bring in that much money.
Nope, if the ad has been blocked, the site owner doesn't get anything from the ads provider. Some people have donated and I don't see anything bad about it, I really appreciate it. If you don't want to donate, it's your choice, it's currently a free website but that's exactly the reason why Facebook and other big companies sell your personal data around, because when something is free, you and your data become the product. We don't do anything like that here but we'll definitely need to find a way to support this website if it goes bigger, there's only so much I can and will to cover outta my own pocket. Maybe some paid services, like some decorations or something, idk, I have not thought about it yet.

DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@bsh1
@Ramshutu
Yeah, he'd spend it on hookers and blackjack lol
Alec
Alec
-->
@DebateArt.com
Nope, if the ad has been blocked, the site owner doesn't get anything from the ads provider. 
The person with Ad block would pay a company to block the ad and then the company pays the owner of DART(you) the money that you would have gotten from the ad that was blocked.  Either way, you still get money.  When the site gets bigger, I imagine it would cost a lot of money to keep things afloat.  Ads probably would be necessary to pay for things when the site gets bigger.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Alec
The person with Ad block would pay a company to block the ad and then the company pays the owner of DART(you) the money that you would have gotten from the ad that was blocked.  Either way, you still get money.  When the site gets bigger, I imagine it would cost a lot of money to keep things afloat.  Ads probably would be necessary to pay for things when the site gets bigger.
Unless I am seriously missing something, I am afraid it's not how it works with the ads :/

Alec
Alec
-->
@DebateArt.com
People don't get ad block for free.  They pay for it.  Some of the revenue goes towards those who lost the ads due to ad block.  It's what I heard from someone who I think has ad block.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Alec
People don't get ad block for free.  They pay for it.  Some of the revenue goes towards those who lost the ads due to ad block.  It's what I heard from someone who I think has ad block.
I am afraid most of them are free, there's a bunch of the free browser plugins and actually, some browsers even have them built-in, like Opera.

bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
-->
@DebateArt.com
@Ramshutu
Fabulous parties can't happen without fabulous outfits. I don't even have my summer wardrobe ready yet! Do you realize how behind that puts me?! I'd spend the money on buying some nice floral rompers, some statement shirts, and printed shorts. Matching underwear would be a bonus, too.

(Also, no ads please...unless they feature shirtless guys with washboard abs.)
Alec
Alec
-->
@DebateArt.com
Assuming most of them are free, I don't think most people have ad block.  Anyone without ad block will see ads and generate revenue for DART so they can hire more mods as this site gets bigger.  Then, it won't crash like DDO.
TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Alec
I know you think like a libertarian but you don't realise more money that is gained using something bad doesn't make the base of this site is happy. More money does come at a cost and by adding ads you are simply reducing the standard of this site to meet some aim of more money.

Your arguments for it are not good enough for it when development of extra ideas on this site are not required to make this site good because it is already the best debate site on the internet with only 1 person doing the platform development.

Next time can you bring in a better argument instead of "Anyone without ad block will see ads and generate revenue for DART so they can hire more mods as this site gets bigger.  Then, it won't crash like DDO."

I did make the same argument but I realise it is a sh*tty experience for DA users and that is what matters at the end. Making the people who view this site happy not fill the Admin's pocket with money. If it was the case there would be ads but the Admin is not Juggle. 
Alec
Alec
-->
@TheRealNihilist
More money does come at a cost and by adding ads you are simply reducing the standard of this site to meet some aim of more money. 
How exactly will putting ads on this site reduce the standards of the site?
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Alec
How exactly will putting ads on this site reduce the standards of the site?
As of now my comments are not being interfered with ads on the left or right. Ads are created to be pleasing to a target audience. If they know their target audience well then they can simply drive the attention of a person debating, commenting to the ad instead of focusing on what they are trying to do. This reduces the sites standards because it pretty much says we don't care about you having the best site to voice your stances instead we want to milk this site dry. 

Alec
Alec
-->
@TheRealNihilist
I don't think people will comment on the ads themselves in the forum.  It doesn't happen on DDO.  They're not a good site, but one good thing about them is you don't see people commenting on the ads on their screen.  They're messed up for other reasons.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Alec
I don't think people will comment on the ads themselves in the forum.
What are you saying? I am saying the ads will interfere with a person's comment or debate argument. If all you got is "I don't think" realise you are not making a good argument.
It doesn't happen on DDO. 
I use Adblock and I can't really find too many people even knew there was ads. So not a good example because most people on the site use Adblock and if someone did a survey on this site I am sure most people would have Adblock on.
They're not a good site, but one good thing about them is you don't see people commenting on the ads on their screen.
This is not what I said. I said they intrude a person's argument or comment if you are spending time on looking at the ad they have less attention on the argument or comment. 
Alec
Alec
-->
@TheRealNihilist
So not a good example because most people on the site use Adblock and if someone did a survey on this site I am sure most people would have Adblock on.
I don't have ad block.  I don't know if most people do or not.  Anyone that doesn't would help contribute to DART.

What are you saying? I am saying the ads will interfere with a person's comment or debate argument. If all you got is "I don't think" realise you are not making a good argument.
People don't comment on the ads themselves.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
I don't have ad block.  I don't know if most people do or not.
Next time when you think something is a good idea do provide evidence. I have done the same and I won't making a claim for until I can find a survey from this site or DDO that most people don't use Adblock.
Anyone that doesn't would help contribute to DART.
There are other ways to contribute to DA other then with money.
People don't comment on the ads themselves.
What point are you making? My argument is that it distracts people from making comments or arguments so basically the more time a person looks at ads the less time they are spending on making arguments or comments. 
Barney
Debates: 49
Barney
I fully support the presence of ads. They just have to be reasonable ones (as in not the ones that hijack our browsers).

A small revenue stream keeps a site up. Even with the low cost of running this site, it is currently an optional expense to be done away with during hard times (removing all content from the net). If it began to say have a $0.25 net profit, it's something to at worst ignore.