Veganism

Author: Snoopy

Total: 125
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Monastics have been vegan for thousands of years. They manage just fine.

As do I.

And to belief that eating meat is a sin happens to be condemned by the church. There is nothing wrong with eating meat.

I don't think my diet is extreme.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
I get all my vitamins. Doctor says I am healthy.
Maybe these other vegans are doing it wrong. I dunno. Maybe it'll catch up to me.

They have b12 supplements that are vegan fyi.

Protein is easy. Beans and rice. Quinoa. 

TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Mopac
I know my wife when she was vegan was low in vit d etc, to me any diet that requires additional man made vitamins or supplements is lacking and not natural in that God created the earth with everything we need, but don't quote me on that as I'm not well versed.  Yes some can do well on any diet, there's always exceptions.  Much like the iodine level of the Japanese or was it Chinese?  one of them, much higher than other peoples can tolerate.  Regardless of what human origin you believe in the fact is vegans are new and no fossils of vegan humans have ever been found.  Learned that from a documentary I watched, they found massive bone collections in France, they were digging to put in a road.
I've also seen people go for 40+ days without eating, water only, no supplements, nothing just water.  My wife will do 48 hour fasts and she says she feels great and has all this energy, doesn't work or have the same effect on me, not that I've very tried it that long.  But fasting makes a lot of sense because when food was scarce or you failed hunting, you didn't eat.  Anyway my wife is obsessed on this stuff so I've seen more documentaries and studies than I have ever wanted.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
If your wife is short on vitamin D, she should get the milk I use on my cereal. It has protein and calcium in it too. The silk protein milk made with cashews and almonds.

On that, cereal tends to have a lot of vitamins in it.

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Mopac
cereals aren't good for you that's why they add vitamins in them, she doesn't eat much carbs and neither to I, there's enough evidence that has convinced me carbs and sugars are very bad for you, I don't cut them out 100% like some people but I really try to avoid them, soy, corn and wheat, not good at all.  I've learned more than I ever wanted to about this subject lol and I'm not easy to convince, unlike my wife.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
I like my bread complicated, as my cereal.

I stay away from soy, corn maybe less so(though no corn syrup), but I like whole grains. Wheat pasta. 

Besides veggies, which I eat a lot of, I like mushrooms a whole lot.

Favorite veggies?
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Mopac
broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and the like, mushrooms I really like too, watch the video "Wheat belly"  and what a natural wheat plant looks like compared to what is farmed today, it's poison imo for a variety of reasons, ever watch the documentary on soy beans, and monsano's patent on the soy bean?
I wish I was more disciplined on not eating some of the stuff I do, but I love candy and coda hehehe, oh and no starches like pasta and potatoes.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
The ones I probably eat the most are kale, broccoli, and onions. I eat a lot of garlic too, and olives. Really, there isn't a vegetable In don't like. I like peppers a lot too, actually. Thai chilis are my favorite, but pablanos, serranos, and jalepenos are good too.

We don't eat soy beans because they allegedly mess with hormones or something. Very rarely!

Haven't seen wheat belly, not sure if I want to. I make pizza! In fact, the first date my spouse and I went on I made a pizza. It happens to by my spouse's favorite dish I make. 

I do eat the potatoes. In fact, if I didn't eat potatoes, I'm not sure I would know what to do if I went with some friends to a burger place or non vegetarian friendly restaurant. 

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Mopac
love olives, I only use olive oil

I believe soy is tied to estrogen

there's a really good keto pizza crust, not sure which one, but it uses almond flower and maybe coconut flower

mustardness
mustardness
-->
@Snoopy
Any opinion on our current policy of burning food instead of feeding?
No idea what you talking about. sorry.

K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
-->
@Alec
"deer die relatively painlessly when shot."
Only if you hit the right spot! Chickens die more painlessly on average, because they don't get away with a punctured lung or other wounds. Many people shoot their deer and it gets away, or lives for hours after in agony before death. You've obviously never been hunting. 
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@K_Michael
I don't hunt but have known a lot of people who do.  Deer basically lay down and die, they don't thrash about or show any signs of pain or agony.  I'm not certain what their brains are actually capable of.  They can't know they are dying because they don't know they are alive.
Pain is just a neurological response to a stimuli.  We generally don't like it, but does that mean it's bad?
K_Michael
K_Michael
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
You're completely wrong! Quite often, a deer will only be hit in the lungs or something, and run away. They will die fairly quickly if you hit something vital, but people lose deer all the time, which means it gets away wounded or suffering, or it dies and is never found, which means it suffers for no reason.

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@K_Michael
I'm not saying they don't run away and don't need to be tracked, not sure how you got that from what I said.  But yes they do get shot in the lungs run off of varying distances, lay down and die.  This does not indicate suffering.  I'm not saying they don't suffer or how that is even defined but I have not read any such evidence to suggest it.
people lose deer and make lots of unintended mistakes about a great many things, like car accidents, should be ban everything that people can make a mistake with that ends up in a bad outcome?
K_Michael
K_Michael
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
The point is that chopping a chicken's head off or shooting a cow point blank in the head is less painful than getting shot from thirty or a hundred yards most of the time because the deer won't just die right there usually. 
If vegans or Alec think that it's worse to kill chickens than the kind of pain these deer go through, they're wrong.

I'm not saying they don't run away and don't need to be tracked, not sure how you got that from what I said.
Answer: " Deer basically lay down and die"

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@K_Michael
i.c. I don't think you can quantify pain or feels in animals, even people have different pain thresholds.  We also don't know for certain they process or feel pain like humans since they can't articulate it, we can assume and guess but that's all, hence the word anthropomorphize.  While I think we should do everything we can to minimize potential suffering etc in animals just in case that isn't enough evidence to make me want to stop eating meat.
Snoopy
Debates: 1
Snoopy
-->
@K_Michael
I heard a hunting story once where it was claimed the deer was spooked, ran right into a tree and broke its neck without having to be shot.  The next easiest way to go is probably freezing to death, like not from starving but falling in a stream or something.  Its hard to tell how they process pain.  Other than that, I think the wild would tend to be more brutal than an ethical kill.  They will try to keep going through whatever they face, so anything that just overwhelms them is about as good as can be expected.

Domesticated animals can have an easier death, but on the other hand the living conditions of bacon you buy from a supermarket could have been pretty inhumane.  There is no easy way to die, and I kind of resent people's problems with killing to the extent that it detracts from living.

K_Michael
K_Michael
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Animals, especially mammals, have a very similar neurological structure to humans. Humans respond to stimuli. Humans feel pain. Animals respond to stimuli. Animals feel pain. They behave very similarly to humans in the same situations and almost identically to babies. If I shoot a baby in the foot, it will cry. If I shoot a rabbit in the foot, it will make rabbit screaming noises. Based on observation it is reasonable to assume that animals feel pain, not quantifiably, since humans can only judge people's pain based on their own experiences and pain threshold, but in a similar way to your own perception of pain.

I am not vegan or anything. I don't believe that it's wrong to kill animals and eat them. But I do believe that minimizing pain is the right thing to do.

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@K_Michael
But I do believe that minimizing pain is the right thing to do.
I do as well and try to only support ethically treated and grown animals.  I DO NOT believe in hunting for sport, just to kill.  Maximum use and benefit should be used from any animal killed.

mustardness
mustardness
-->
@K_Michael
But I do believe that minimizing pain is the right thing to do.
I feel the same way. The early in  a woman's pregnancy the less pain for the fertilized egg..........Hannibal the Cannibal

..."The majority of the scientific literature on the subject finds that the brain connections required to feel pain are not formed until at least 24 weeks.

....This is, of course, not the first time fishy scientific arguments have been used to support anti-abortion policies. Last August, Missouri Republican Senate candidate Todd Akin ignited a controversy when he stated that victims of “legitimate rape” couldn’t get pregnant because “the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.” The sponsor of the House 20-week ban, Rep. Trent Franks (R-Ariz.), was also criticized last week for arguing in a hearing that the number of pregnancies resulting from rape is “very low.”"....

Snoopy
Debates: 1
Snoopy
-->
@mustardness
  Relativity of animal rights on abortion

Mopac
Mopac
I'm not a vegan because I love animals, I'm a vegan because I hate plants.

Thst is why the plants I don't eat get chucked into fires.

Bwuahahahaha!

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Mopac
I'm not a vegan because I love animals, I'm a vegan because I hate plants.

Thst is why the plants I don't eat get chucked into fires.

Bwuahahahaha!

now THAT is funny!  thank you, I'm totally going to steal it and use it.

sadolite
sadolite
Two things: 1) I don't care that you don't eat meat. There is no reason what so ever to bring it up unless I offer you meat to eat or something that has some form of animal product in it. 2) Don't ever lecture me about eating meat. You are not morally superior because you don't eat meat. I don't care about all the political causes you attach to being vegan anymore than you care about any political causes I care about. Got it? Good. Have a nice day.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
I am personally appalled at the excessive biomass of insects slaughtered solely to support a vegan lifestyle.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Greyparrot
rolf that was good
I hate how they mess up my windshield too
mustardness
mustardness
-->
@Greyparrot
I am personally appalled at the excessive biomass of insects slaughtered solely to support a vegan lifestyle.
"A question of balance".... Moody Blues

“Some have to die, so others may live.”

To live within a standard-of-living that does not cause excessive strain on the ecological environment that sustains us all.

It is a question of balance.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@mustardness
Sucks to be a non human animal.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Greyparrot
mustardness;  To live within a standard-of-living that does not cause excessive strain on the ecological environment that sustains us all.

It is a question of balance. 
maybe we should, oh I dunno, domesticate animals and raise them as a food source instead of killing animals in the wild, just a thought.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Nah...killing a few billion metric tons of insect biolife is the price of an avocado.