Author: bsh1

Archived
Read-only
Total: 30
bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
Aloha, DART!

It has now been 7 months since Virt and I were first appointed as DART's moderators by Mike. During that time, moderation has handled countless reports, helped numerous users address various problems, and implemented several changes based on usership feedback. 

Given that we are now more than halfway through our first year volunteering as moderators for DART, I thought it would be appropriate to pause to allow the community to provide feedback on moderation. Virt and I value the usership's input, which is one reason why we implemented the MEEP process and why we try to engage with individual users who express concerns.

Moderation always tries to achieve the highest standards of integrity, fairness, and consistency possible. While we are not perfect, and while no code of conduct is perfect, we are striving every day towards excellence in our moderation of DART. 

Please use this this thread to express any thoughts, concerns, or questions you have with regard to site moderation. Feel free to address queries to any of the moderators. This is not the ideal thread to talk about technical issues, as that is outside of moderation's purview. For the next 3 days or so, we will attempt to answer your questions and will weigh any potential changes to policy implicated by your concerns. Consider this your opportunity to provide us a report card on our first 7 months in office. After three days, the thread will be locked.

Thank you. We look forward to a productive discussion.

- Bsh1, Chief Moderator
Outplayz
Debates: 0
Outplayz
-->
@bsh1
I think you're doing a good job. I push my conversations to the limit of insults but never maliciously... you haven't talked to me once. So, you're doing good. If you can understand context and passion... then, that's a good moderator. Keep it up. 
Speedrace
Debates: 63
Speedrace
-->
@David
@bsh1
Y'all are doing great

I am kind of frustrated about this RM voting situation though...I thought it was pretty clear that he was vote bombing against me since it all started right after I said he couldn't accept my debates, but because it was only on troll debates then no one seems to care
Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
-->
@David
@bsh1
Can I have my voting privileges back?  It was a long time since I screwed up.
TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Alec
Can I have my voting privileges back?  It was a long time since I screwed up.
Shouldn't you send this directly?
Do you want sympathy for what you did that removed voting privileges? 

Alec
Alec
-->
@TheRealNihilist
I could have sent it privately, but since the mods were asking for feedback, I figured I could tell them this way.  Most of my votes were tie votes, which the mods say don't need a RFD.

Do you want sympathy for what you did that removed voting privileges? 
No.
Goldtop
Goldtop
Compared to other forums, you would probably be a junior mod (if you managed to get the position) that would have little power (if any) and would require a great deal of supervision as you learned how to be a moderator. To say that you provide "the highest standards of integrity, fairness, and consistency possible" is laughable. You are incompetent as a moderator and a good example of the Dunning-Kruger effect.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Alec
I could have sent it privately, but since the mods were asking for feedback, I figured I could tell them this way.  Most of my votes were tie votes, which the mods say don't need a RFD.
It is feedback on moderation. I doubt it would include your voting privileges. It is best to speak to them directly as in direct message.
No.
Okay. 
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Goldtop
At this point I think you have such a grudge that it is clouding what bsh1 actually said.
You said:
To say that you provide "the highest standards of integrity, fairness, and consistency possible" is laughable.
Which is different from what was actually said which is:
Moderation always tries to achieve the highest standards of integrity, fairness, and consistency possible.
As in aim not meet the standard implied by what you said. If you dislike the moderators so much you are willing to cherry-pick what was actually said why aren't you at the other forum site you claimed to say earlier on that was better than the this one? 
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
no problems
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
I like Virt. That's my only feedback.
mustardness
mustardness
-->
@bsh1
Thank you. We look forward to a productive discussion..... Bsh1, Chief Moderator
And thank you for doing your task the best of you abilities Bullshi__er1 Chief Moderator.

Oops I may of misinterpretated those initials,  Bush1.

This is Bullshi__er1 to Bush1 do you copy.....
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@mustardness
Number 1 bish of the site.
David
Debates: 91
David
-->
@Alec
check your DM 
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@Speedrace
Troll debates are not moderated. It's a risk you run when deciding to have those kinds of debates, but hopefully there are enough other votes to counterbalance any problematic votes which might be cast.
bsh1
bsh1
For anyone who is currently unsatisfied with moderation, it would be best to provide specific, constructive suggestions for improvement.
Speedrace
Debates: 63
Speedrace
-->
@bsh1
That's messed up, but it's cool cries
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@Speedrace
There are some good reasons for the rule, though I realize it's not ideal. Reasons include the increased subjectivity of the votes involved making them harder to moderate fairly, keeping the workload of reports manageable for moderation, and the reduced "seriousness" of the debates in question. We try to be upfront to debaters (via the COC and our decision notices) about the fact that troll debates are not moderated, so that they are aware of the risks that come with having such debates.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@bsh1
You want feedback? Okay.

Listen to every fucking lyric, you damn sham.
bsh1
bsh1
This thread will be open for one more day.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
Quit saying you don't delete posts when you do. Quit saying you don't allow call out threads when you do. 
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
I do delete posts, but very rarely. I haven't deleted any forum posts in--if memory serves--more than two months. And I do not allow call out threads; they are locked for precisely that reason.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@bsh1
LOL sure you haven't. 
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@bsh1
LOL sure you haven't. 
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
Zippity Zappity.

My beliefs put aside, I think the moderation has been consistent and I am proud of that
It has gotten better with Lassiez Fair type stuff, and I applaud that

9/10 (no one is every perfect)
Alec
Alec
-->
@David
@bsh1
Can you treat troll debates as real ones?  This way, you get less of them.
Alec
Alec
-->
@Ramshutu
Forgot to add you.  Sorry about that.
Ramshutu
Debates: 43
Ramshutu
-->
@Alec
While I have an opinion, I am only a moderator when it comes to votes, and am just a regular user in most other respects.

Saying that, it is my opinion that having these debates unmoderated reduces the likelihood of people making these debates. I mean, why create a debate if you know you may be legitimately vote bombed, targeted , bullied or otherwise grudge voted without retribution?
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@Alec
I think pulling moderation on them is a greater deterrent for them than moderating them. Not moderating them means that users have to put up with bad votes, which is a powerful reason not to have those debates in the first place.
bsh1
bsh1
I will now lock the thread.