Should the US invest more in education?

Author: Alec

Total: 52
Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
-->
@Pinkfreud08
I would let the states decide if they want to abolish standardized tests.  We need to make sure kids are learning though.  If the Finland system works better than the American system, then it can be implemented here.  I think class sizes should be smaller because it's easier to learn in small classrooms.
Pinkfreud08
Debates: 17
Pinkfreud08
-->
@Alec
Yeah, I agree that it should be a state's decision and not a federal one. 

Regarding classroom size, I guess it really just depends on the person because in classes I excel in I prefer the big classroom environment to allow for more discussions and group projects to be made. 

However, I've noticed that it really just depends on how well someone is good at a subject as I prefer smaller classroom environments in classes I struggle in. 

Guess it just depends on the person and the subject but generally, I'd prefer a healthy balance.  
Alec
Alec
-->
@Pinkfreud08
I think in all classes I'm in, I perform better in small classes.  More one on one teaching.

Pinkfreud08
Pinkfreud08
-->
@Alec
Fair enough 

7 days later

WaterPhoenix
Debates: 12
WaterPhoenix
-->
@Pinkfreud08
Standardized tests show how good a school is. And that's pretty useful.
Pinkfreud08
Pinkfreud08
-->
@WaterPhoenix
Considering that standardized test scores aren't graded I highly doubt everyone puts their full effort when taking them. 

Although it's possible I'm wrong. 

Even if I was wrong however there are a lot of ways to show how good a school is without the cons standardized tests bring. 

GPA's, for instance, sounds like a more reasonable alternative. 
WaterPhoenix
WaterPhoenix
-->
@Pinkfreud08
I put my full effort into them just so I can flex to my friends how much smarter I am than them. But, for real Standardized tests also show how much the student is improving as well as how well the teacher is teaching the subject.
WaterPhoenix
WaterPhoenix
and gpa's are only for high school.

8 days later

Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
I have yet to see any system that has been fixed just by throwing money at it.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a single day.

Give a man a thousand fish and you feed him for a single day and leave him to clean up after the 999 fish that spoiled in the night.

- Discipulus_Didicit
LordLuke
Debates: 1
LordLuke
I haven't thought much about it, but I hate public schools and think that the government uses its money terribly.

So I'd probably say no.
ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
-->
@Alec
...."The first American schools in the thirteen original colonies opened in the 17th century. Boston Latin School was founded in 1635 and is both the first public school and oldest existing school in the United States."...

Duhh education  is a no brainer, unless your a biased human or a human that has not access to the rational, logical common sense aspects of their brain.  Their appears to be plenty of those types around here and the evidence is in their posts. Go figure.
bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@Pinkfreud08
GPA's, for instance, sounds like a more reasonable alternative. 

Well, isn't the whole point of standardized testing to be an objective measure? Some schools may make their tests much easier/teach to the test to inflate their scores.

LordLuke
Debates: 1
LordLuke
-->
@bmdrocks21
Oh yeah I hate that. All tests should be standardized...
And we only need two, a midterm and an end-of-the-class test.
No other grades but those 2. No stupid participation grades and of the such.
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
When you blame the govt for bad schooling when it is mostly states that control the schooling within your state lol
Alec
Alec
-->
@ebuc
We need education, but how much funding would we give it?  If you want more education funding, to what dollar amount do you want to increase the funding?
ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
-->
@Alec
We need education, but how much funding would we give it?  If you want more education funding, to what dollar amount do you want to increase the funding?
Well lets see, I cant remmber how much allowance my parents gave me as a child.  Probably because i was not a regular allowance. More like when they felt they had enough and when in the correct mood.

45 days later

Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
Its based on the effort nut so much the money

I think we should listen to what scientists and profffesionals say about effective schooling
Alec
Alec
-->
@Dr.Franklin
That's possible.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Alec
It would be better

Our school system hasn't changed one bit in 150 years

Simple changes that do not include money:

Encourage reading
Encourage debate and acceptance of other opinions
Have more recess
Have a wide variety of curriculum options for teachers to teach
Stop having so much standardized tests

Alec
Alec
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Encourage reading

It's a good idea, but since I'm not much of a reader, I'd be a hypocrite if I preached it to others.  I'm better at Math though.

Encourage debate and acceptance of other opinions
I attend high school and most of the kids are accepting of other people's opinions.  There are a few SJWs that aren't, but most people are fine.  The battle of ideas is a battle worth fighting.

Have more recess
How would this work?  I'd leave it up to the schools to determine how much recess their students get.

Have a wide variety of curriculum options for teachers to teach
This is going to cost money.

Stop having so much standardized tests
I'd rather have standardized HW than standardized tests.  The results are more accurate and obtained through less stressful means.  I don't believe in tests.  HW is a better indication of how competent you are in a field since there is more data.
fauxlaw
Debates: 77
fauxlaw
-->
@Alec
I would prefer, first, a serious, unbiased audit of what is currently spent, and for what.To just blindly invest more in education without assessing what is beneficial, and needed, vs what is wasteful and not needed, is the classic fool and his money. We may just find that education is a money pit as currently construed. Marshall McCluhan, a professor of communications in the 60s proposed that children had access to information by radio and television from all over the earth, yet their formal education was restricted to the 19th century classroom. That is not the case today, relative to how information is received, but McCluhan's 60s comment was prescient, because even today, our formal elementary education, at least, and significantly further on, is still in that 19th century classroom. Is that the most efficient means we can devise today? An audit might tell us we're still driving education while staring into the rearview mirror. Observe the success of the internet shop vs. the brick and mortar.
Alec
Alec
-->
@fauxlaw
Observe the success of the internet shop vs. the brick and mortar.
In terms of politics, I learned more on the internet.  In terms of mathematics, I learned more in the class.