I am a Christian, but I support your right to say that, here is why.

Author: YeshuaRedeemed

Total: 15
YeshuaRedeemed
Debates: 8
YeshuaRedeemed
I don't feel I have to supress anti-Christian speech to be a good Christian. I do ask that I be able to offer my own speech, but as long as free speech remains a two way street, I support your right to say that. Christians: How can we criticize Islam, when we attack people who don't believe as we do. I have been guilty of this, and have room for improvement, but let's be honest: Some Christians are just as angry as we say the Muslims are, or whoever else. Jesus had harsh words for Peter when Peter cut off the Roman slave's ear. If I have ever attacked anyone allegedly in Jesus' Name, I'm truely sorry. My place as a Christian, is to be as much like Jesus as possible. While I don't like anti-Christian speech, I don't feel I have to like someone's speech, to support their right to say that. I hope all is well with y'all, and speak freely, for I stand behind you, desiring my own free speech. Peace and blessings!
Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
-->
@YeshuaRedeemed
How can we criticize Islam, when we attack people who don't believe as we do.
Christians don't kill non Christians the way Muslims kill non Muslims.  Not all Muslims do it, but a significant portion of Muslims support thing like Shariah law according to Pew Research.

YeshuaRedeemed
YeshuaRedeemed
-->
@Alec
I was just giving an example. i agree with you, I am just saying what I myself have dealt with from fellow Christians, when I made the mistake of disagreeing with their opinion. This is my appeal to conservatives to actually support free speech, whether it is correct or not. I am very libertarian on the issue of free speech in general.
Alec
Alec
-->
@YeshuaRedeemed
I like free speech too.
YeshuaRedeemed
YeshuaRedeemed
-->
@Alec
That's good. i wish more on the right, and the left, did so as well.
Alec
Alec
-->
@YeshuaRedeemed
What do you think of type1?
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
Having a flawless argument is not going to convert people. People are not converted through debate. They are converted by love.

Love is not really something that can be done effectively over a screen.

Snoopy
Debates: 1
Snoopy
-->
@YeshuaRedeemed
Are you going to post something to your debate?
Alec
Alec
-->
@Mopac
Having a flawless argument is not going to convert people. People are not converted through debate.
I've been convinced a few times by good points.

Deb-8-a-bull
Debates: 0
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@Mopac
Nice post man.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Alec
I would hope so!
Stronn
Stronn
-->
@Mopac
Actually, people are persuaded to change their mind all the time when presented with good arguments.

If you are unable to persuade anyone to adopt adopt a particular position, then its likely you are either using a bad argument or have an untenable position.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Stronn
While I understand why you would believe that, I also am of the opinion that this is very naive. Good arguments alone do not persuade people. Good arguments also don't make truth. That is why people study rhetoric, and why there is every manner of sophistry available to exploit the darkness that people prefer to the light. 

What someone considers to be a good argument can be and often is a very arbitrary thing.

Stronn
Stronn
-->
@Mopac
Actually, there are objective standards for what constitutes a good argument. The fact that some people don't apply those standards when evaluating an argument does not make the argument arbitrary or subjective. For instance, if I call my opponent names, and my name-calling is so clever that it convinces people to disbelieve my opponent's position, I have still made a bad argument.

Just because people are persuaded a bad argument or think it is a good argument does not make it any less bad.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Stronn
Going by your standard of what constitutes a good argument... people are persuaded by bad arguments all the time, I don't dispute that.