The Purge: be honest, would you be a purger or an abstainer

Author: Castin

Total: 67
Vaarka
Debates: 0
Vaarka
I doubt I'd go around and kill, but I'd definitely destroy public property and steal random stuff

9 days later

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Castin
I would hunt those hunting others. 100% sure that's what i would do. Oh... and i would not only be great at it... i would love it. How i would do it. Full ninja suit with tactical gear, bullet proof vest and the works. I would also have night vision googles that can also see in thermal or regular if i wanted it to. I would have a samurai sword, two handguns and a silenced smg. With as much ammo as i could carry. Probably in the thousands since i would keep them in a car that is also bulletproof. No one will see me coming. Man... just thinking about this is fun.  

Edit 2: oh, and i would probably need some grenades and explosives for the larger groups ^'-'^
TheGreatSeal
Debates: 2
TheGreatSeal
I mean, if you really insist on killing someone in the purge, plan. Attack with poison and plant evidence it was someone else (or ensure that there are no diplomatic repercussions; you could be poisoned). Use fire, manipulate the mentally unstable in carrying out the plan, bribe a contractor or an impoverished person, and sabotage people. Kidnap someone and use the hostage to draw the real target in. Plant a bomb some days before and time it for the purge. Drop wasps. Have a huge pack of falcons and dogs, and unleash them. If you're a doctor, get a good time for an appointment and have a misdiagnosis on your victim. If you work in a supermarket, plant arsenic on the canned food people last-minute stock up on for these things.

Really, even if I needed to kill someone for whatever reason, I could easily attack from the safety of my shelter. Just plan beforehand, since technically you just need to perform the act on the purge. Going out with a scary mask and a gun might be cool, but the most dangerous killers would chose their victims from afar.

In all seriousness, I don't think I'll dedicate myself to killing anyone.

The trick would be to set up taking care of the target just as the purge starts. Then getting to a safe place quickly. Perhaps inviting them out of the city to a safe house and then using that to do what you wanted. At this point I can't think of anyone I hate bad enough to put that in my wyrd. But you never know. 
Even better, just abduct someone and pull them across a timezone, until it becomes 12:01 in the said timezone. Kill the person, run back to your timezone, and have another hour to lock in.

7 days later

Casual_Leftist
Casual_Leftist
-->
@Castin
Any real baller knows the crime to commit during the purge is money laundering with drug trafficking on the side. Customs is closed? Lemme just roll these 12 semi-trucks of narcotics accross the border. Dirty money can come from other countries digitally no risk at all.
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@Casual_Leftist
Enjoy getting legally robbed.
Casual_Leftist
Casual_Leftist
-->
@RationalMadman
By who? 90% of the population is indoors hiding, the rest are killing each other. The only other threat would be another criminal syndicate smart enough to copy my idea. And you can't really rob people who are laundering money digitally. The drug trafficking sure - and that's why you hire mercenaries to protect said shipments. Did I really need to add that detail?

The only problem I see is keeping the stash hidden while still selling it during the rest of the year.
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@Casual_Leftist
you are one naive criminal mastermind hahahahaha

enjoy it when your henchmen break your neck and your best friend takes it for himself and his girlfriend blackmails him to give it up and her cousin does the same to her. life without law is hell on earth
Castin
Castin
-->
@Outplayz
I would hunt those hunting others. 100% sure that's what i would do. Oh... and i would not only be great at it... i would love it. How i would do it. Full ninja suit with tactical gear, bullet proof vest and the works. I would also have night vision googles that can also see in thermal or regular if i wanted it to. I would have a samurai sword, two handguns and a silenced smg. With as much ammo as i could carry. Probably in the thousands since i would keep them in a car that is also bulletproof. No one will see me coming. Man... just thinking about this is fun.  

Edit 2: oh, and i would probably need some grenades and explosives for the larger groups ^'-'^
Very appealing idea. Hunting the hunters. I'd be pretty tempted to join in.

If you're gonna spend a lot of time on foot, that sounds like a lot of gear weight. At the start of the night it would feel fine but as you exert yourself it'd feel heavier and heavier, and movement speed is crucial in combat situations. Even if you're armed and armored. But training can mitigate the dangers of encumbrance.

Numbers was gonna be my next question. If you're one guy going after a group you'll be at a very steep disadvantage, and most hunting parties move in packs -- stronger that way, more acceptable risk/reward ratio. There's no saying whether you'd have access to explosives or could control their effects precisely enough to be sure you can avoid collateral damage. You could set traps I suppose, but the trick would be to get a hunting party to walk into them.
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Castin
If you're gonna spend a lot of time on foot, that sounds like a lot of gear weight. At the start of the night it would feel fine but as you exert yourself it'd feel heavier and heavier, and movement speed is crucial in combat situations. Even if you're armed and armored. But training can mitigate the dangers of encumbrance. 

You're right. Maybe i can keep a car filled with every type of weapon for the situation and go with that weapon when i find one of these gang packs and take a weapon accordingly. I actually like this idea better bc then i will get to kill with all types of fun toys. I guess i will just keep a handgun and some knives on me in case i need a back up in the heat of the moment... but the rest will be situational. 

Numbers was gonna be my next question. If you're one guy going after a group you'll be at a very steep disadvantage, and most hunting parties move in packs -- stronger that way, more acceptable risk/reward ratio. There's no saying whether you'd have access to explosives or could control their effects precisely enough to be sure you can avoid collateral damage. You could set traps I suppose, but the trick would be to get a hunting party to walk into them.
You're right again... so join my group! I'm sure other's would be down. We'll be called the Shield Assassins. Hmm... but if i had to do it myself, i would track who i'm hunting and learn there movements. Then... since they are looking for people to kill, i can bait them into a location i have set up with all types of traps. It would be harder, but i imagine the one's killing innocent people wouldn't be very smart anyways. The smarter criminals would likely work alone. It would be a real test of my abilities... i guess the boss level... to go against foe's with a smart leader. I may need help at that point. 
Casual_Leftist
Casual_Leftist
-->
@RationalMadman
you are one naive criminal mastermind hahahahaha
You've yet to show how.

enjoy it when your henchmen break your neck and your best friend takes it for himself and his girlfriend blackmails him to give it up and her cousin does the same to her. life without law is hell on earth
Uh huh ... and you believe every drug interaction is like a movie? You do realize that real drug cartels manage to avoid eating each other long enough to make a profit right? They run drugs without legal free periods and they manage to carve out respective territories and traffic routes - and yes murder each other (365 days a year) - but unless an internal struggle breaks out like the Zetas there's a certain level of cohesion and what you could called 'trust'. You're not casting doubt on my idea, you're just writing some weird fan fic or paraphrasing a movie. If the purge existed then I could only do such a plan if I had the resources/infrastructure to do so. Add that into your story.
Mhykiel
Debates: 1
Mhykiel
-->
@Castin
I would bring balance to the world by killing half of everyone.

26 days later

Username
Debates: 9
Username
Assuming it happened, I would abstain, like almost every law abiding citizen (no one has an inner evil cmon) Then, after the entire thing collapsed because of how stupid the plan was [1][2], I wouldn´t have to worry about it again. 

SOURCES 

20 days later

Mharman
Debates: 18
Mharman
-->
@Mhykiel
*Snap!*
Mharman
Debates: 18
Mharman
-->
@Buddamoose
@Polytheist-Witch
@Outplayz
@Castin
@RationalMadman
I couldn't bring my self to commit any sort of crime. Except for going above the speed limit.

I would just go camping. Not at an actual camping site, I'd just find a really large plot of trees and set up a tent. I live by a lot of farmers who have large plots of trees.

Bring a cooler, water, food items that don't need to be refrigerated or heated, a few sources of entertainment, a weapon, and another weapon. Then I'm all set.

Depending on which day it happens, I might need to bring blankets and bug spray.

The optimal time to sneak away to any hiding spot would be at 1:00-3:00 am on the day before the purge.
Buddamoose
Debates: 4
Buddamoose
-->
@Vaarka
I doubt I'd go around and kill, but I'd definitely destroy public property and steal random stuff

Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
I don't think murder would be common in a purge, just a bunch of looting, but perhaps people wouldn't go overboard with that if you had enough random people sitting in their stores with a shot gun waiting to surprise intruders. People usually aren't inclined to break such laws, if somebody wants to murder you, they'll usually assume they won't get caught anyway. Even the more fun crimes like rape would be pretty rare, because of the fallout from doing so after the fact.

273 days later

Pinkfreud08
Debates: 17
Pinkfreud08
Probably an abstainer, more likely than not I'd just die if I walked outside anyways.

Barney
Debates: 49
Barney
Those movies lost me when it turned out the government was sending special forces in easily identifiable special vehicles to kill poor people...

Anyway as per the original question, I'd abstain by going back to Canada.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Castin
I'd think if you wanted to reduce carbon footprints you would have to be a purger.
Castin
Castin
-->
@Greyparrot
A compelling argument.
Snoopy
Snoopy
I figure with enough beer I could lure them into just the right place to play my cards against humanity.  

House rules, everyone has witnesses and an alibi.  
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@Castin
They bedazzled their assault rifles. I'll repeat that. They bedazzled their assault rifles.
I say don't make them look like toys, but customizing is one of the things people like about "black rifles"  

Jesse James made a monster 1911 for #45
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@Castin
Here's a wooden one decorated with brass tacks  https://i.pinimg.com/736x/df/9a/ec/df9aecd49e559096076733a78edca099.jpg

Wylted
Wylted
Most people would stay indoors and protect themselves. People just aren't that violent. If it ever happened I suspect it would be some gimmick by government to get people to buy more insurance and made to happen by politicians who had big campaign contributions fro. The companies who are best set up to offer "purge insurance"
Wylted
Wylted
-->
@Outplayz
Very appealing idea. Hunting the hunters. I'd be pretty tempted to join in. 

The problem is you wouldn't know your comrades. Most people who set aside their morals to hunt are hunting down the people who are typically hunters. They would be the type to go after Karla Homolka. You would sit on a rooftop with a sniper rifle picking off a mob of people who had their relatives tortured and murdered by Karla Homolka, and have decided to get justice in the only way possible. 

You may pick off other people who have a list of pedophiles in some pedophile ring who attacked them when they are children.

You can't differentiate the hunters hunting hunters (which would be the majority of them), and the people who are thrill killing. 

Wylted
Wylted
-->
@Username

no one has an inner evil cmon

Don't deny your inner evil. You can't suppress something you deny is there. To sit there and deny your feelings of lust, anger, greed etc. Is silly.

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Wylted
The problem is you wouldn't know your comrades
Good point, but i think i could bc i would go after those clearly being evil. I would let the other chaos i'm not sure of unfold. I can't be everywhere so i would make sure i'm right about the hunt. Or maybe better, i can be a gun for hire to people i vetted that need protection. Like a family or something. 

Don't deny your inner evil. You can't suppress something you deny is there. To sit there and deny your feelings of lust, anger, greed etc. Is silly.
This is interesting bc i think there likely could be some people that don't have any evil or bad within them. I think however, it's just as rare as pure evil. But i wouldn't call lust, anger or greed evil per se. They all have the potential to become evil, but they can all be good things too. It depends on the person, but that's why i would call them bad overall... not evil.  
blamonkey
Debates: 24
blamonkey
I'm curious, is there any crime someone would commit besides wonton killing? Like maybe someone wants to send a few prank calls or just smoke weed? People are so uncreative nowadays. If you wanted to cause some havoc from the safety of your home, you could always deploy drones to remotely TP someone's house, or just steal their WiFi and change the password. Incidentally, if the WiFi event happened during the purge, would evidence of it happening be admissible in court? If not, would the WiFi stealer just get away with it? Asking for a friend.

Club
Debates: 26
Club
I would probably go into a safe room, with an assault rifle, and kill anyone who dares touch me or my dog.
DapperMack
Debates: 3
DapperMack
-->
@blamonkey
I'd drive my car wherever I wanted to, GTA style. My theory would be that too many people in my neighborhood would be abstaining from fear of death alone and thus I can drive my car (which is inside my garage no problem) out of there and try to get to a secluded area, one of which I am aware of and isn't far from home. Once everyone kills each other, I can got to whatever location I desire and have all the fun in the world.

Prank calls sound up my alley. If I could, I'd steal all of the cellphones that I possibly could and call some of the people I know with different numbers to give them the impression that everyone knows where they live, at least assuming that I survive. I like my chances better with a car than otherwise though.