Abortion

Author: TheRealNihilist

Total: 139
TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
I would like to know an argument that makes abortion a good thing. Make sure to help me follow the train of path you are going through like tell me what you mean by person-hood or conscience so that I don't need to ask it and I can go straight to problems or agreements.

Personally I am not for abortion if this was a perfect world but because it isn't. I am for abortion. Mainly I am for legal abortion because illegal abortion will occur and that would have issues on its own but in a perfect world and now I still take the stance abortion is wrong if wrong is we don't murder humans.

Since I have given my personal stance. You can decide to talk about your argument for abortion preferably outside law and possibly talk about if it was in a perfect world or talk about my position. I would prefer the first but you can do what you want that discusses abortion.
secularmerlin
Debates: 0
secularmerlin
-->
@TheRealNihilist
What do you mean by good? That us a very subjective term. 
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Also did you have to bring this to the phylosophy thread?
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@secularmerlin
What do you mean by good? That us a very subjective term. 
Always on the defensive. I see. This is not part of my reply.

As in if we value human life to a point where don't want it to end and would do anything in our power to prevent that. I am sure I already answered that here:
I still take the stance abortion is wrong if wrong is we don't murder humans.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@secularmerlin
Also did you have to bring this to the phylosophy thread?
Next time can you have two questions on one forum post? Thanks.

Don't want to talk about the legality about it. More so morals like I am sure I implied with this:
You can decide to talk about your argument for abortion preferably outside law
and 
possibly talk about if it was in a perfect world or talk about my position.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@TheRealNihilist
I would like to know an argument that makes abortion a good thing. 
Literally the first thing you said.

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
Literally the first thing you said.
Yes and later on I said this:

I still take the stance abortion is wrong if wrong is we don't murder humans.
What you should have gathered was that I consider abortion wrong so bad. Non-abortion good so a right thing to do. 
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Please rigorously define human and murder. Then we can examine your stated goals.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
Please rigorously define human and murder. Then we can examine your stated goals.
Human as in something with DNA that is alive. Specifically part of the homosapien speices. 
Murder is committing an action to another person which results them in losing their life.
Person and human are the same to me. 
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
Abortion is a good thing because now I can CHOOSE to live the kind of life I WANT. I can CHOOSE whether or not I WANT to get fat and pregnant, which would destroy my figure and sex appeal, and I can CHOOSE to do with MY BODY what I WANT.

Girls just WANT to have fun! Pregnancy is INCONVENIENT and a total buzz kill.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Mopac
Guess you can't escape irrational people like you. Wasn't really addressing what I said. Care to try? 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Sometimes the hardest thing for me to do is not to make fun of people.

I don't think anyone really appreciates that.

Oh well. Pissing in the wind.

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Mopac
Sometimes the hardest thing for me to do is not to make fun of people.
That is funny. I'll just reply with making fun of people that advocate for abortions:
Abortion is a good thing because now I can CHOOSE to live the kind of life I WANT. I can CHOOSE whether or not I WANT to get fat and pregnant, which would destroy my figure and sex appeal, and I can CHOOSE to do with MY BODY what I WANT.

Girls just WANT to have fun! Pregnancy is INCONVENIENT and a total buzz kill.
Also how many times you insults people's intelligence directly or indirectly. It is not difficult for you to make fun of people.  
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
Perhaps since this is the philosophy forum the question should be is abortion moral and/or ethical to avoid the political or religious aspect of the argument. 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Quite the contrary, it is difficult for me NOT to make fun of people.

And if you couldn't tell, I was making fun in that post that you called me irrational over.

Mopac
Mopac
Oh, I like this one... abortion is good for the environment. Population control in the name of sustainability!

The kind of door that type of thinking opens for evik... gyeh...

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
@Poly-Witch

Perhaps since this is the philosophy forum the question should be is abortion moral and/or ethical to avoid the political or religious aspect of the argument.
I thought that made it clear here:
but in a perfect world and now I still take the stance abortion is wrong if wrong is we don't murder humans.
and
Personally I am not for abortion if this was a perfect world but because it isn't
and 
 You can decide to talk about your argument for abortion preferably outside law
This pretty much says I would like to talk about abortion outside law and I would like to know in a perfect world would you still be okay with abortion. 
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Mopac
Quite the contrary, it is difficult for me NOT to make fun of people.

And if you couldn't tell, I was making fun in that post that you called me irrational over.
Why are you still here? Haven't you got something better to do or you really want attention?
Oh, I like this one... abortion is good for the environment. Population control in the name of sustainability!

The kind of door that type of thinking opens for evik... gyeh...
Irrational comment by an irrational person.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@TheRealNihilist
It's not nice to be a bully, Omar. I find you hating me without a cause to in fact be what is irrational.

I believe that my first post was on topic, and certainly reflects a worldview that is accepted by abortion activists all round.

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Mopac
I find you hating me without a cause to in fact be what is irrational.
If you find telling the truth about you "hating" on you then I can't imagine how actual hate would trigger you.
I believe that my first post was on topic, and certainly reflects a worldview that is accepted by abortion activists all round.
No it wasn't. I wanted an actual argument for abortion or critique of my stance not a troll who has nothing better to do. There is a difference and I hope you see it. 
WyseGui
WyseGui
I am for abortion in specific situations. Rape, maybe underage pregnancies, at risk pregnancies. But not just so woman can fix a mistake they made. I understand it is a woman's body and they should be able to make this choice but men can't carry children so woman have to have more accountability in this area. Understand that men can't make these choices. At the end of the day this topic is too nuanced to firmly side either way.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Charity.

Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@TheRealNihilist
In a perfect world no one would need one. I have no issue with abortion as a choice for anyone who wants one. I would rather people terminate a pregnancy then have a child that can't handle having for whatever reason. 21 weeks is a more than reasonable cut off for elective abortion. As long as no one is forced to have them I don't care what choices they make. 
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@TheRealNihilist
An appendix qualifies as human under your definition on. Please adjust accordingly
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@secularmerlin
An appendix qualifies as human under your definition on. Please adjust accordingly
How does an appendix have life? 
My conditions for life would be something that can grow, reproduce and has the capability of death.

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@WyseGui
I am for abortion in specific situations. Rape, maybe underage pregnancies, at risk pregnancies. But not just so woman can fix a mistake they made. I understand it is a woman's body and they should be able to make this choice but men can't carry children so woman have to have more accountability in this area. Understand that men can't make these choices. At the end of the day this topic is too nuanced to firmly side either way. 
In a perfect world there would be no mistakes. Would you still allow abortions to take place?
Saying it is a woman's choice leaves out that there is a person inside the body. We don't allow people to get away with murder that same treatment should be given to women who abort. This would be in context of a perfect world. In a less than perfect world I would allow abortions because the environment a child is brought in is not good enough and is taxing on the parent so much so it halts career development that can lift them out of the predicament they are in. 
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
@Poly-Witch
In a perfect world no one would need one. I have no issue with abortion as a choice for anyone who wants one. I would rather people terminate a pregnancy then have a child that can't handle having for whatever reason. 21 weeks is a more than reasonable cut off for elective abortion. As long as no one is forced to have them I don't care what choices they make. 
Would you still allow the option in a perfect world for an abortion? 

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Your initial definition was something that is alive. All of your organs are alive unless they are removed or damaged. Now if you would like to adjust your definition to include only things that can grow and reproduce and has the capacity for death then an appendix only qualifies for two out of three of those distinctions. The same two that a fetus possesses. Specifically the ability to grow and to die. Since neither an appendix nor a fetus can reproduce neither is included in your new definition. Women after menopause also so not qualify as "alive" under this new definition. Would you like to adjust your definition again?

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@secularmerlin
then an appendix only qualifies for two out of three of those distinctions.
How can an appendix grow?

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Just like any organ. One cell at a time.