Alec
Debates: 42
Alec

Snoopy
Debates: 1
Snoopy
-->
@Alec
I don't think it's appropriate for Mr. Tucker to represent Alexandria Cortez's 'side' of an issue with a crazy lady.
TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Alec
Where did she say that?
I checked the video and she did not say it. 
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
"People of color resist colonial attempts at environmentalism"

Just the same old tired race card getting played over...and over...and over again. Must be nice to be in the skin color race.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Snoopy
She is not representing. She is translating.
Alec
Alec
-->
@TheRealNihilist
She called cauliflower, "colonizers".  That's close to calling a vegetable racist.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Alec
She called cauliflower, "colonizers".  That's close to calling a vegetable racist.
How is colonizers racist? It is not a race. 

Alec
Alec
-->
@TheRealNihilist
According to the left, non-consenting colonialism is racist.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Alec
According to the left, non-consenting colonialism is racist.
Tell me who says this and prove to me they are a representative of the left? 

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Alec
The quote from the video "People of color resist colonial attempts at environmentalism" is such a funny claim considering slavery today is only legal in countries with a majority of people of color.
CroixRennie
CroixRennie
Wait a second, so what's the difference between AOC saying people of a certain community who mostly eats yucca that they ought to plant cauliflower despite cauliflower not being apart of their usual diet....and conservatives getting triggered by former first lady Michelle Obama telling kids to eat healthy?

But the first lady's push for healthier meals and more exercise, which marked its first anniversary this month, has provoked a backlash from the right, who complain that the only thing here that's supersized is Big Brother.

And in January, some conservatives even suggested that Obama was endangering people, blaming an increase in pedestrian deaths on the first lady's campaign by saying that Americans were putting themselves at risk by walking more.
In a country where obesity is/was a growing problem, conservatives showed their discontent with Michelle Obama promoting her idea of a healthy lifestyle on them. Fast forward to the present day were some inner-city communities have a lack of access to healthy foods, AOC is expressing that simply putting a green space in a neighborhood that completely disregards the culture of the people they're trying to serve/help is reminiscent of colonialism.  It's one thing to be proud of your culture, it's a whole different thing to try to implement your culture upon a people not asking for it. Despite good intentions, it just comes off as..."hahaha only savages eat yucca(eat cheeseburgers), try this cauliflower (healthy school lunch) instead you backward people".  

I honestly see no difference from what AOC said, and what conservatives expressed when Michelle Obama made it her goal to make sure kids ate healthy.  If anything, AOC's criticism made more sense, than people moaning about their fat kids eating carrot sticks.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@CroixRennie
AOC is expressly saying that the people of color resist attempts at colonial environmentalism by replacing Yucca with Cauliflower.

Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@CroixRennie
Welcome.  What is yucca?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Snoopy
Food European Spanish ate as colonizers.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Snoopy
The whole point of this satire is to point out that you can't even have a sane discussion on improving the environment or discussing plants without injecting the race card.

EVERYTHING MUST BE FILTERED THROUGH THE LENS OF RACISM.

Everything.
CroixRennie
CroixRennie
-->
@Greyparrot
You're just mostly demonstrating you're a hack if that's all you took out of what she said.  This isn't about race, it's about addressing a community's needs based on their community's needs...and not what you assume they'll need.  TO YOU yucca over cauliflower is of little importance...but it'll be safe to say that's not YOUR CULTURE.  However, if some hairbun avocado toast eating liberal moved to West Virginia and told all the coal miners and their families..."yeah, like coal is bad and dirty...and you guys totally would be better off with these green windmills instead".  Having good intentions isn't enough, you also need to be conscious of that community's needs...because to act without doing so would be reminiscent of colonialism in which one group believe their way of life is superior and it's their obligation to save the primitives from their Yucca, Coal Mines, or Healthy School Lunch. That's what she meant by colonialism...you reducing everything she said to being about race is literally no different than you assuming everything someone says is about race. 
CroixRennie
CroixRennie
-->
@Snoopy
Welcome.  What is yucca?
Hmmmm, it's kinda like a potato if I could describe to someone who never ate it before.

Food European Spanish ate as colonizers.
Greyparrot if you don't like everything being about race, was this comment supposed to be some kind of "satire" of you NOT bringing up race, by bringing up race haha?
Snoopy
Snoopy
Extended Clip - AOC
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@CroixRennie
If it's not about race, why would she say "people of color" (assuming skin color is a genetic race)

Are we also to assume people of color must hate cauliflower due to genetic DNA differences manifested in "skin color"? Or people of color can't possibly work in a WV coal mine?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@CroixRennie
Also spain is not a race. Mexico is not a race either.
CroixRennie
CroixRennie
If it's not about race, why would she say "people of color" (assuming skin color is a genetic race)

Because PEOPLE OF COLOR predominately live within the community in which she's talking about where the green spaces are being implemented.  Race is a social/cultural construct...saying group x who lives in community x are blank, isn't making something about race...it's an observation.  If I said women suffer from post-partum depression, am I making it about gender, or am I identifying which group of people are mostly impacted by something?  If I say young adults are having difficulty finding employment after college...am I making something about age or generation?  Is this really something that has to be explained?  If you went to a church full of Christians, do you go out of your way of not referring to them as "Christians"?  If someone burned down a church that just so happened to be Christians, should AOC not say "Christians of 'blank' community got their church burn down" in fear that hacks like you would assume she making a church burning about "Christians"?  Is a minority community really that hard of a concept to grasp? 

Are we also to assume people of color must hate cauliflower due to genetic DNA differences manifested in "skin color"?
This is like a classic example of if you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail.  The focus isn't that people of "x" skin color are genetically predisposed to hate cauliflower, the focus is that PEOPLE OF "X" COMMUNITY have a culture in which yucca is apart of their diet and cauliflower isn't and it should be taken into consideration when planning what goes into their green space planned specifically in their community.  Every culture has their cuisine and their diets are based upon their culture...not skin color.  Jamaicans and Ethiopians are on average the same color...but that doesn't mean they have the same cuisine/diet.  Norwegians and Australians are the same color/race on average, do you think their vastly different cultures and geographical locations don't have an impact on why their diets are different? Your assumption should be people of different cultures eat certain foods, and planning a green space shouldn't done without taking that into consideration.

Or people of color can't possibly work in a WV coal mine?
For someone who complains about the race card being used, you sure do oddly bring up race where no one mentions it.  It's not that people of color don't/can't work in West Virginian coal mines...it's JUST THAT WEST VIRGINIA HAS A POPULATION THAT'S 93% WHITE and the majority of people that will be impacted by a lost of coal mines will be white people.  Furthermore, once again when I brought up that example, race wasn't the focal point...it was that the coal industry in WV being replaced by green energy and how the people will be put out of a job if that happens.  And no matter how good the intentions someone might have in wanting to put green energy in West Virginia...it would be an act reminiscent to colonialism in which outsiders of West Virginia will be making decisions for West Virginians without consulting with what their community will need. Seriously, this isn't a hard concept to grasp.  
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
Well it's nice to have such a vibrant apologist for AOC's comments here. Nevertheless, her frequent use of "people of color" is misleading at best, and racist at worst. People of color belong to every culture in the country, not just the culture bubble AOC lives in. 
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@CroixRennie
Just a heads up.

Greyparrot and his confirmation bias yes man TheDredPriateRoberts are both alike in their lack of good arguments. With Greyparrot he gets so triggered he will block you when you call him out for his views.

Snoopy is another person. I find him really disingenuous since he says things that he can't support which leaves me to assume he doesn't actually hold those views. When I hammer down a point he either stops commenting to my points or decides to pivot away from the topic at hand. 

I find 2 sections mainly what you get from right wingers. There isn't a good right winger user on this site so don't expect to have an intellectual conversation with one if that is even possible because I have yet to have an intellectual conversation with right-wingers about politics. 
Ramshutu
Debates: 43
Ramshutu
So AOC pointed out that when running local environmental projects like growing fruit and veg in areas for ethnic and cultural minorities, the way it will work best is to go in with an understanding that they have their own cultural food, palette and food knowledge. Going in and expecting these minorities to grow, cook and enjoy food they’re not accustomed to, causes push back to those projects.

I know, shock horror; may as well get out the pitchforks!

AOC is pointing out a particularly mentality - a dominant culture going to an area of a cultural minority, and pushing their own foods, processes and methods without any thought or consideration that other cultures may have different preferences; is pretty much what I would consider a “colonial mindset”. It’s the implicit assumption - even though sometimes well intentioned - that their own cultural norms are better and would necessarily be acceptable to all.

She may as well be suggesting that we replace footballs with Babies, oh the outrage!

And again, while the angry rage troll Tucker Carlson wants to whip you all up into a mastabatory frenzy, by lying and misrepresenting the positions of others so that the conservatives don’t have to form opinions or weigh complex cultural issues by themselves; I find it hilarious that the right is so threatened by yet another woman.

Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@TheRealNihilist
I do not "lean right", something that has been previously stated to you. It is also evident that I do not prefer fox news.  I should have wrote Tucker Carlson in post #2. I may have "pivoted" with you before when a line of questions you had in my Veganism thread continued to press on my take to Pro-Life, which I could not see relevance to veganism in my case. It's true, I might not support a statement that I posted, or answer every question asked of me. While I can appreciate the criticism, it would be nice if you could tie it into the topic of discussion the future.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Snoopy
I don't really know what to say.

Either I point the altercations I have of you pivoting or I don't even bother. 
One is that everyone else can see your lack of interest of having your ideas tested and the other is me not wasting more of my time with someone who doesn't even want to engage. I spoke about veganism really well and you brushed it off as I didn't have any points. I had points and you pivoted to lets talk about me. Shifting to me instead of your awful arguments. It must be natural for you to not be tested or critically think of your own positions which is why it is so difficult for you to engage with what I say and not hit a brick wall of what you allow yourself to be tested on you pivot. Even your choice of words completely annoys me. When you see someone like Ramshutu make better points with less complex words I do wonder why the hell you even use the words you do. You say less with more complex words. Hasn't happened here yet but I doubt you can help yourself.  

All in all I think you are intellectually dishonest or too ignorant to not see that. 

You do lean right. You align more with Greyparrot and TheDredPriateRoberts than you do with me. 

Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@TheRealNihilist
You can talk veganism to your heart's content in this thread. I would like that. I am rather ignorant when it comes to veganism.

I'm still not sure what kind of philosophy you might have.  Here is a random link I read later to post on page 5, maybe of interest to you?

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
@Omar

I blocked you for throwing Ad Homs at me in a science thread. While I would have let it slide in a politics forum, doing that in a SCIENCE thread is over the top.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Ramshutu
This is a good point, and a very valid one. The current Nationalistic frenzy in America most certainly wants to push for a more unified, homogenous American culture, which means that smaller cultures especially ones without English as the dominant language, are most likely going to be pushed to assimilate into a more dominant culture. It's something anyone from a minority culture would and should fear as a basic tribal survival reflex.

The point I made was that describing these minority culture groups as "people of color" is incredibly misleading and disingenuous as there are plenty of people living in America with various shades of skin that have no problem speaking English, or eat cauliflower for that matter. It's a straight up con job she is employing to insinuate that people of color MUST only belong in oppressed groups, and can never be a part of the dominant American culture.

If she was being honest she would say "people of Mexican, Latina, or Central American" culture....not "People of Color" culture. It's a way of branding people based solely on how they look like, and not where they are from or what their content of beliefs are. I would have thought we had moved past that kind of racist thinking 50+ years after MLK.

To just throw out a term "Communities of color" and assume it is a Mexican culture isn't helpful at all. She is literally walking through a New York suburb in the video filled with english speaking people of color where the environment is far too cold to grow Yucca and saying that communities of color should grow Yucca.

Like I said before, it's misleading at best to label the culture of people based on the shade of their skin, and racist at worst.

She is about to propose massive authoritarian change to the way people in America choose to live their lives with the Green New Deal, then has the chutzpah to say in her video "you don't come into a community and impose what you think is right..." 

And they thought Trump was the ultimate con man....
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Snoopy
You can talk veganism to your heart's content in this thread. I would like that. I am rather ignorant when it comes to veganism.
I already know that. When I speak about the faults of your side. You pivot to me. That is the problem on top of your ignorancy and I am assuming a brick wall in what you would like to talk about.
I'm still not sure what kind of philosophy you might have.  Here is a random link I read later to post on page 5, maybe of interest to you?
Don't know what this got to do with what I said.