Compromise

Author: Alec

Total: 63
Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
2 questions:

1) Would you classify yourself as right wing or left wing?

2) Would you agree to the following compromise:

-AK 47s banned nationwide.
-Abortions banned nationwide.

This nation is divided and people talk about compromises, but I don't see much of it.  This is an idea, so do you guys agree to the compromise?
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
Ak 47 = Russian influence

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader

Right

No. Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Vader
Liberal Policies kill people
Snoopy
Debates: 1
Snoopy
-->
@Alec
These are both state level issues, with constitutional implications.
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Liberal policies make people pussies that can't handle themselves

Im 15 and I make a more stable income than 1/2 of the liberals out there because I can do things for myself
n8nrgmi
Debates: 0
n8nrgmi
it would be dumb for liberals to agree to that compromise, cause AKs are just a fraction of guns out there and abortion would be ended. it would be a no brainer for a conservative to turn that compromise down for the same reason... there are still plenty of guns to go around. 

if you wanted to make the compromise interesting, do a total gun ban v a total abortion ban. 
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
i should have said it's a no brainer for conservatives to embrace that compromise. 
CroixRennie
CroixRennie
1) Left

2) This isn't really much of a compromise.  One side gets rid of abortions...the other side gets a loophole to just buy an AR-15.  Unlike most people on the left, I'm all for banning abortion because I think it's morally indefensible in all instances that don't involve rape or a mother being at a high risk of dying during the pregnancy.  HOWEVER it's a bullshit trade for Democrats to lose their wedge issue for Republicans to only ban AK-47 and not all "assault weapons".  A fair compromise, in my opinion, would be to ban all guns for Republicans and for Democrats to ban all abortions. 

If you just ban AK-47's...someone could just buy an AR-15 or any of the 100 different types of assault rifles.  And as a gun enthusiast myself I know just banning "assault rifles" is a semantic loophole because anything can be an "assault rifle" and any "assault rifle" can amorphously not be classified as an assault rifle based whatever components you do or don't take into consideration.  It just makes more sense to ban all gun to make it comparable to banning all abortions...both sides equally disappointing their base.

That will actually be the compromise.

Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Vader
Indeed, the liberals are doo doo
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
I think thst the guns and dope party offers the best compromise between left and right.

Guns for those who want them, no guns for those who don't.

Drugs for those who want them, no drugs for those who don't. 

Equal rights for ostriches.

Alec
Alec
-->
@CroixRennie
New offer; Only guns allowed are pistols, rifles, and shotguns in exchange for banning abortions nationwide.  Would you accept?
TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Alec
Left.

No.
New offer; Only guns allowed are pistols, rifles, and shotguns in exchange for banning abortions nationwide.  Would you accept?
No. I don't think I need to this but I will. Most gun crimes is committed using handguns. 
Alec
Alec
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Well, I shouldn't advocate for banning guns because if I do that, then criminals will get guns illegally and commit homicide against people that they know can't defend themselves, so murder skyrockets.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Alec
Well, I shouldn't advocate for banning guns because if I do that, then criminals will get guns illegally and commit homicide against people that they know can't defend themselves, so murder skyrockets.
How does that address what I said? 

Alec
Alec
-->
@TheRealNihilist
I thought you were against all guns.  I might be wrong on this.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Alec
I thought you were against all guns.  I might be wrong on this.
I answered addressing your topic. I said I wouldn't be for banning abortion the positive of having handguns is not a good one. This is because it is used to commit the most violence.

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Alec
This question is addressed to Women I take it, since men have no say in what a woman does with her body.
Alec
Alec
-->
@disgusted
The offer is banning abortions in all situations in exchange for only allowing pistols, rifles, and shotguns to be legally owned.  Since you said, 

since men have no say in what a woman does with her body.
I don't think you got the point of this post.
dustryder
Debates: 5
dustryder
-->
@Alec
What exactly do you imagine would be banned? Rifles and shotguns are extremely broad categories. For example, an AK-47 is a type of semi-automatic rifle. Semi-automatic rifles are a subset of rifles. The only meaningful type of gun that would be banned that I can think of are revolvers. 
Alec
Alec
-->
@dustryder
By rifles, I refer to hunting rifles.  So only basic, one shot at a time guns would be allowed in exchange for a ban on abortions nationwide under all circumstances.
dustryder
dustryder
-->
@Alec
There's still an issue of terminology but lets leave this aside. Do you personally think that this would be a good compromise?
Alec
Alec
-->
@dustryder
I think it would be a good compromise that both sides should agree too.  I don't agree with banning "assault weapons" but I'm willing to if it means abortions are banned.  Heavily restricting abortion worked out well for your country.
Alec
Alec
-->
@dustryder
What do you think about the compromise?
dustryder
dustryder
-->
@Alec
The point of banning guns isn't to ban guns. It's to reduce and minimize the associated gun violence. If you were to go by your compromise, what has actually been achieved in this regard? Meanwhile if you were to examine banning all abortions, if your goal is to prevent "lives" lost via abortions, banning all abortions is a fairly complete solution. Value wise, they aren't equal in the slightest.

If we were to go further and you could offer a complete solution for gun violence in return for a complete abortion ban, from a moral perspective, they would be still unequal in value. Even if you justify banning abortions as saving innocent babies, there's no way to get around the fact that you are trampling on female rights to bodily autonomy to do so. With gun control, I don't believe there is much moral reasoning in being against gun control.

Finally, such a compromise would be stupid because both parties aren't completely black and white on such issues. Not all democrats wish to ban all guns. And not all republicans wish to ban all abortions. A good compromise is one that pleases the most people. Banning all abortions is incredibly unpopular even among republicans

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Alec
Rights are not negotiable. Freedom hating pigs can try. 
CroixRennie
CroixRennie
-->
@Alec
No, that's not a compromise at all.  Democrats have to ban all forms of abortion nationwide, while Republicans don't have to get rid of anything.  Both parties would have to lose a wedge issue of equal value. For someone who knows guns, I can easily make an argument that component-wise, a pistol, rifle, and shotgun are indistinguishable from an AK-47, and the only differences really are in appearance.  Only banning some guns like "assault rifles" is the equivalent of banning abortion in the 3rd trimester. 
Alec
Alec
-->
@CroixRennie
The left wants to ban AK 47s and I would be fine with supplying it to them in exchange for banning abortions.  Currently, AK47s are legal in most states.  Abortion is already banned in the third trimester.

Alec
Alec
-->
@dustryder
The point of banning guns isn't to ban guns. It's to reduce and minimize the associated gun violence.
Agreed.  The American left realizes that banning guns won't reduce gun crime relative to the status quo.  So they have decided to move on to banning only AK 47s and AK 15s.  This has it's pros and cons.  

If you were to go by your compromise, what has actually been achieved in this regard?
The Left gets the gun laws they want.  The Right gets the abortion laws they want.

With gun control, I don't believe there is much moral reasoning in being against gun control.
AK 47s according to their advocates should be legal to defend against a potentially tyrannical government.  It's a defense against potential tyranny.  The left believes that a tyrannical government won't happen in the US in the near future, the right believes it is a possibility.

Not all democrats wish to ban all guns.
Most want to ban the AK and the AR guns.

A good compromise is one that pleases the most people.
Any offers?  I can make a counter offer.  Only legal guns are pistols, shotguns, and rifles in exchange for abortion being banned with exception of the literal life of the mother would terminate unless they get an abortion (basically to ave a mother's literal life from death).

CroixRennie
CroixRennie
-->
@Alec
Are you incapable of basic reading comprehension?  What part of only banning AK-47’s isn’t the equivalent of banning all abortions don’t you understand.  Removing all morals and partisanship from this hypothetical question you’re posing...you’re essentially saying banning one type of gun is the equivalent of banning all abortions.  How?  Did you fall asleep in math class?  Do you have some skewed perception of what fairness is?  Do you practice negotiations with with 2 years olds?

Unless you’re being duplicitous about wanting a compromise, please explain under what circumstances is banning 1 MODEL OF FIREARM, the equivalent of banning ALL (KEYWORD IS ALL) ABORTIONS?  In addition to that if you’re somewhat knowledgeable of guns, you know it’s a semantic nightmare to pass a ban on a specific type of weapon anyway, so what’s to stop the pro-gun side from using a loophole to get out of a already one-side “compromise”?

If you can’t demonstrate that you can answer simple questions, should you necessarily be considered worth dialoguing with in any serious capacity?