Does education influence your beliefs on God?

Author: Fallaneze

Total: 15
Fallaneze
Debates: 0
Fallaneze
Is it true that the more educated you become, the less inclined you are to believe that God exists? What is your level of education and do you believe that God exists?
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@Fallaneze
If education has lead you to believe that there is no ultimate reality, that really puts into question the value of your education.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Mopac
You have one default assumption of an ultimate reality within your brain. Which is no doubt the product of your own particular conditioning/education.

Therefore the value of your education is just as open to question as anyone else's might be.

There are various other valid ultimate scenarios, all equally open to question. 

Whether any of our postulations are correct or not, is possibly something we will never have the chance to find out.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@zedvictor4
The Ultimate Reality is not a conception. It is what it is. The Truly Existent One.

The fact that this is not a common ground that we can all agree on, that is, that reality in the truest sense of the word exists, demonstrates that there is no unifying common ground. After all, if people can't get this right!

To say that the ultimate reality does not exist is like saying, "It is the truth that there is no truth!". This is a nihilism that not only destroys everything, but even itself. 

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Fallaneze
Is it true that the more educated you become, the less inclined you are to believe that God exists? What is your level of education and do you believe that God exists?
By our current standard of what constitutes educated (the holding of a degree) that would seem to be supported by available statistics but correlation does not necessarily equal causation so perhaps some factor other than their college education makes degree holders more statistically likely to be atheists.

Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
The more educated I became the more I found religion was an important factor in lives and culture. I eventually was called to one and then another. Without a spiritual experience education or lack there of will not matter. Being raised in a religion or not will not matter. I think most people are raised in a faith, have no experience and it coincidences with the level of education one moves through. . 
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Fallaneze
I have 8 or so years of education. I think all it has done is make me more open-minded to more than one possibility. However, being obsessed with this subject itself, i think even without education i would have came to this realization, but who knows. I think it also depends on the degree. My a lot of my family members that are doctors either just believe in a higher power or just say who knows. A particular family member that is a neurologist simply says humans may never know. He hates abstract thoughts however, so he is just how he is. Ask him, everything is the product of your brain... but push that to a "what if your brain is a part of a bigger brain" he will say "what if there is a golf ball on the moon." Honestly, i think it just comes down to the person. I actually think spiritual intelligence is a thing. It's clear some people just get uncomfortable in thinking about spiritual possibilities. With all that said, i think educated people are a little more inclined to call out spirituality, like religion, for being man-made. Therefore, if there are polls asking college grads if they believe this religion or that... and than have, agnostic, atheist, and other as one option... it makes sense why the "other" option is not only picked more, but on the rise. 
Outplayz
Outplayz

This is interesting. But it seems to me they are throwing out the word "atheism" a little loosely. 
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Mopac

And so say you. 

And truth and nihilism are as much concepts as your concept of "The Truly Existent One" is.

But this is how you function as an individual.

And you function relative to how you process and utilise your stored data, data which you acquired through a process we regard as education.

Education is variable, therefore concepts will also be variable. 

And the ultimate reality might be a truly existent one or it could just as easily be the collapse of the universe and the destruction of all matter. Or it might be something completely different or it might even be nothing at all.

And you and I could make assumptions all day long. But we will probably never get to know the answer.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@zedvictor4
The ultimate reality always was, allways is, and always will be the ultimate reality.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Mopac
Yep. 
And no one has a clue what the ultimate reality might be.
We can only guess.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@zedvictor4
Any imagination or conception you can make about The Ultimate Reality is not The Ultimate Reality.

We know better than to guess, because God's divine essence cannot be known, just as The Ultimate Reality cannot be known.

Knowledge is not God.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Mopac
And your certain that you know something that cannot be known.

Sounds like a guess to me.

Or wishful thinking perhaps.

Or maybe blind faith.

Certainly sounds like a contradiction.

Though it has to be said:
Who can prove what to be correct and who can prove what to be incorrect.

It's an ages old Catch 22 situation.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@zedvictor4
It is because I know God that I know the essence of God is beyond knowing.

You too could know if you contemplate what "The Ultimate Reality" is.

"Blessed are the pure in heart, they will see God."

47 days later

crossed
Debates: 62
crossed
If i did not know how the body worked and medical properties in foods i would probably not believe in god.