Sweden to possible ban Norse runes due to hate groups

Author: Polytheist-Witch

Total: 40
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
One of the distinguishing features of the Norse/Germanic/ Anglo Saxon pagan faiths is the runes. This set of magic symbols is used as written language as well as chants (galdr) and spell craft. Said to have come to Odin when he hung on the world tree and taught to him by Freya they are an important aspect of the religious culture as well as witchcraft and paganism outside the religion due to the open nature of the faith. Of course there are white supremacist who are also part of the religion in both Europe and the US who use these symbols for nefarious means. Banning the runes as hate symbols due to this would in fact impact more non racist of the faith then the racists. Those like myself in the religion would equate it to banning the Bible or cross from any use.

Do you feel the government has a legitimate stance on the issue? Should all members of a religion be forbidden to engage in parts of their faith being exploited by hate groups?

Should the US consider all runes and Norse imagery racists?

Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
Even if the US considered these things racist, it is a violation of the 1st ammendment to the constitution to ban these things.

3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
This makes about as much sense as banning the color red because racists use red paint.

They also use the roman alphabet.  We should ban everything from A to Z.

Some terrorists happen to be Muslims, so they propose we ban all Muslims.

Some white supremacists happen to be Christians (KKK), but strangely we don't generally hear people leaping to the conclusion that all Christians are racists.

The same type of argument is presented for bitcoin.

They say that bitcoin should be banned because it is used by criminals and terrorists and Iran and wikileaks.

They fail to mention that the criminals and terrorists and Iran and wikileaks also use cash and gold and homes and cars and computers.

Should we ban all cash and gold and homes and cars and computers?

This is a classic appeal to fear (argumentum in terrorem) mixed with a potent dash of the broad brush fallacy. [LINK]
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@3RU7AL
The question  was in the context of the Swedish proposal. Calm down.
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
The question  was in the context of the Swedish proposal. Calm down.
I'm placing the proposal in a broader context by providing similar examples.

Should all members of a religion be forbidden to engage in parts of their faith being exploited by hate groups?
Clearly they should not.

Clearly they should not.
WisdomofAges
Debates: 5
WisdomofAges
This is obviously the work of the CHRISTIAN psychopaths....they despise and destroy everything that counters their DOGMA....they are the 
TERRORISTS of EARTH....a proven FACT....they collude with ISLAM to create a 2 GOD divide and conquer system...just look at ISRAEL
and the rest of EARTH...2 billion psychotic CHRISTIANS and 2 billion psychotic Muslims....HOW ?  by global assimilation through FEAR -
INTIMIDATION - VIOLENCE....they are worse than the NAZIS....and have created WAR and been at WAR for 2000 years...

The plan is to utterly destroy all CULTURES of humanity ....and have only 2 to choose from   JESUS or ALLAH   all others must be exterminated

OK everyone....STOP and accept the ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH and all of their symbolism....or DIE....simple as that....
Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
Do you feel the government has a legitimate stance on the issue?

No they don't. They wouldn't dare ban Islamic ideology or even parts of it. Imagine if  the Swedish government tried to ban the Islamic symbolism or the verse on the islamic flag that isis parade at every turn which is most certainly a symbol of hate to many including apostate muslims.

Should all members of a religion be forbidden to engage in parts of their faith being exploited by hate groups?

No. It is up to government to outlaw the so called " hate groups" but with legitimate & legal  reasons and not because someone or another ' grouop' is ' offended' by what they preach.

I find it amusing that these people such as the Social Democratic Minister of Justice Morgan Johansson who  is behind the initiative actually believe that by doing away with these ancient and historical runes that is will somehow be the end of so called  hate  groups that allegedly preach hate. This all smells to me of appeasement. Who for instance does the report state who are the people on the end of this alleged "hate". It seems to me that someone is working on dismantling Swedish heritage and culture as is happening here in the UK and across Europe.

Is it any coincidence that Sweden has appointed a Pakistani Muslim Head of the National Heritage Board?

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Stephen
Is it any coincidence that Sweden has appointed a Pakistani Muslim Head of the National Heritage Board?
Here are some useful links, purely for background.

According to the swedish national heritage board website,

The Swedish National Heritage Board is Sweden’s central administrative agency in the area of cultural heritage. Lars Amréus has been Director General since 2012. He is an archaeologist with more than 25 years of working experience in the fields of cultural and historic environment and cultural heritage. Before he was assigned as Director General he was superintendent of the Swedish History Museum. Lars Amréus is assigned by the Swedish government as Director General until 1 March 2021.

The 'news story' seems to originate here:

"The site(samnytt) has been labeled a racist hate-site, xenophobic and right-wing extremist by Swedish, Finnish, and international media."

Castin
Castin
I'm sick of hate groups ruining cool ancient things.

It's bold-faced suppression of religious freedom, no two sides to it. They might as well just say "we only care about major religions, only they have rights."

The funny thing is that outlawing those runes would probably do more to make people associate them with hate groups than if the government had just ignored them. Banning a thing can increase its publicity.
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
Christianity is a shit religion. The fact that Paganism is 'dying out' is actually nothing more than a temporary illusion. In the year 3400, there is no doubt in my mind that the world will be half Pagan new age religions focusing on Hindu and Norse type polytheism with alien demigods being a genuine theory of who runs things and the other half of the world will be atheist.

This fucking lunacy of thinking that Allah vs Jesus can bomb our world and make a 'OOOOH FUCK AMERICA AND ISARAEL AYAAAA!' on one side and 'let's pillage Africa and Native Americans and make our whiteboy religion take over everywhere MUAHAHAHAHAHAEHEHAAWWW' mentality is pure idiocy.

Get your warlike religions the fuck out of here, we don't need to blackmail people into religions.

Whether they ban something now or not, it will come back later bigger and badder because Paganism is the fucking truth and you cannot deny it for long in a species that is increasing its capacity to reason and maintain high IQ over time (despite what people think, we're getting smarter not dumber each generation).
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
It's not hate speech to point out that a religion is founded upon (and only at all relevant today) because of the brutal things it did in the past. If you're going to look at Vikings who were 'reasonable tyrants' and compare that to Christians who did such horrific things while spreading, as did Muslims, then you don't know history.

Research the Templar Knights, how the Vatican came about and then look at the Ottoman Empire and explore the history of the two religions that loathe Pagans and came up with the term Pagan. The term 'Pagan' literally meant 'inferior believer in a religion other than ours'. That was the connotation. You were subhuman and unworthy of being seen as anything other than a hell-bound scumbag if you were Pagan under both Christian and Islamic scripture.

I don't hate the believers of these religions, I merely know their scripture and history better than they do.
Stephen
Stephen
Qaisar Mahmood he of the National Heritage Board of Sweden,wasn't it he who spread the fake news that the word "Allah" appeared on a viking burial cloth but was quickly debunked by a professor of medieval art and archeology in Texas ?
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Castin
This is a fake story whipped up by right-wing anti-immigrant groups.  The soberest analysis I have found is here.

I sincerely hope, Castin, that you have not based your response only on what you read on this thread.   It seems that a right-wing Swedish website/blog (samnytt) started this, which has been picked up by a network of ideologically similar sites.   That created a layer of dis- and mis- infomation that all but buries the underyling fact.

I am surprised that people are - apparently -willing accept nonsense at face value. 

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Stephen
I don't know was it him? Maybe you could provide proof.
hahahaha
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch

The inquiry, led by Charlotte Brokelind, President of the Göta Court of Appeal, found in its conclusions that existing ethnic hate laws were sufficient, and did not need to be supplemented by additional bans on specific symbols. 

"Based on our examination of practice, it is our assessment that the current criminal law regulations on racist and similar symbols are appropriately designed," the report found.

Sweden's government decided to launch the inquiry on July 5 last year, after activists from the Nordic Resistance Movement NMR) disrupted a series of speeches at the Almedalen political festival on the island of Gotland. It then appointed Brokelind on September 1.

Actually the government did look into it lying piece of shit cheese. 
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
Also since my posts have been deleted from Catin's topics I don't thing she should be posting in mine. 
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@disgusted
I don't know was it him?

Well we all know that you know absolutely fuckall . And It was a question I asked because I don't fkn know either you buffoon. 

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@keithprosser
I am surprised that people are - apparently -willing accept nonsense at face value.  

I am not surprised that you start threads and  then abandon them as soon as you are challenged on your own statements in the very threads that you have started.

OR HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN THESE? 

Why Is Islam Backwards?

Alabama - Where Sharia Is not harsh enough.

You have many unanswered questions on both these threads that you started but have simply deserted them. Why?

Stephen
Stephen
Actually the government did look into it lying piece of shit cheese. 

Yes I have read  one  report  but it fails to mention which group or groups are on the receiving end of this alleged "racism" by these so called "far right" groups. It doesn't mention how the runes are actually used by the groups , it doesn't mention how they amount to "hatred" and it doesn't mention any 'victims' that these runes are supposed to have claimed. I mean, who is actually 'offended' by these ancient Swedish symbols?

I think it is absolutely diabolical that something that has been a part of a nation's history for thousands of years can all of a sudden become so distasteful or abhorrent that someone wants to eradicate and wipe them   from it's own history and memory completely as if they never existed? I mean, what group would demand that?

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Stephen
Liberal hate filled snowflakes.
Stephen
Stephen
Liberal hate filled snowflakes.

And anyone who believes that there is no room for 'paganism' in today's ' multicultural'  society  those that pander to them.
Castin
Castin
-->
@keithprosser
I sincerely hope, Castin, that you have not based your response only on what you read on this thread.
Nah, I googled it first and looked at a few other articles echoing the story. It seemed like an obscure piece of news that would probably only be covered by obscure sources. But my effort ended there, I'm afraid. I am quite guilty of not doing really exhaustive digging.

Well, nothing about the story really jumped out at me as obvious nonsense. It seemed quite plausible to me that a community in our Christianized western society might consider banning symbols from an archaic pagan religion they don't care about simply because of evil by association, without really caring about the significance the symbols have to a fringe minority of modern pagans. But then, I live in America.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Castin
@Stephen
I mean, what group would demand that?
Good question.  The answer is that there is no group demanding it. 

The swedish government looked into the usage of traditional symbols that had been appropriated by hate groups but seem to have decided no action is reuired.

Right wingers tried to spin this into an attack on national history and tradition by an unholy conspiracy of liberals, foreigners and Islamists.  What is disappointing is how quick some people were to believe them.  
Castin
Castin
Also since my posts have been deleted from Catin's topics I don't thing she should be posting in mine.
News to me. I don't even remember you posting in any of my topics recently.

But out of respect for your wishes I will now leave the thread.

Lololol I'm totally joking, I ain't goin' nowheres. Tough titty.

I know my spiteful insolence and total disrespect of your desires will make you glow with the fiercest pride.

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
Lying cunt. 
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
Lying cunt. 
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
Uh oh, looks like someone's on her way to another time out! Who could have predicted. Though it's ironic she's been banned more than a virulent racist who ruins message boards nearly single handed, not exactly justice. 
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
Lying cunt. 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@RationalMadman
All religion is shit.

Religion is the bi-product of irrational thinking.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@zedvictor4
that sounds like atheism is a religion to you, then.